1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mini Grip or Kershaw Leek?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Dedrich, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

I have two Kershaws - a scallion and half ton. Love them both.

Understanding that the Leek and the Mini Grip are in entirely two different price ranges... I'm trying to decide between the two, ideally whatever I decide will offer some bright handle color (I want orange, but can't seem to find mini-grips that come in orange)....

So what do y'all think? Leek or Mini Grip, and why?

2. BalancedEdge

BalancedEdge Loaded Pockets

I've never handled a Benchmade knife, so I'm going to be biased. The only leek I own is a discontinued liner-lock version with improved steel, so I'm more biased towards that as well. I have however, handled, sharpened, and tested many standard leeks in a variety of configurations for various friends. If you do decide to go for a standard leek, plain edge satin and orange handles are a good choice.
    From an all black half serrated leek, I learned the blade coating drags and slightly, but noticeably affects the opening unless it's very well oiled. The coating also wears off relatively easily, compared to my ZT at least. I also found that kershaw serrations are a nightmare. I hate sharpening large serrations, but those miniature scallops almost made me need to buy a new knife for my friend.
    From a composite leek, I learned that even that slight amount of D2 rusts, and carbon steel on a folder is a pain. (This blade was also improperly heat-treated, but that was just a QC error)
    From my leak, which has polished G10, I found it to slip out of the pocket at times. I never noticed that with any standard leek though.
    The safety lock is also annoying. The flipper is small enough and the detent is deep enough that it is an effort to disengage, at least enough that a safety lock is entirely unnecessary to keep the blade from opening accidentally in most cases.
    Additionally, on every single one of those leeks but for one of my friends and mine, the tip had broken off with minimal effort. I've put too many wharncliffe tips on broken leeks than I care to have. If you're worried about that, I'd go for the Random Leek, except for the fact it is always serrated (S30v is a plus, though).
    The leek would be lighter and thinner than a Mini-Grip, but the Mini-Grip will be stronger in blade and most likely in lock as well, from what I've heard of the Axis lock. Leeks would be easier to mod though, as they have no liner. Example below by TuffThumbz.
    [​IMG]

Stutz, powerring and Dedrich like this.
  3. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

If you can afford to spend the extra, I'd say go for the Doug Ritter Grip, better blade shape and the axis style lock Is better in general.

oldgoat and powerring like this.
  4. RichinVA

RichinVA Loaded Pockets

^^^^ Yeah, buddy! My Ritter mini in M390 is awesome.

<<< Even when the world is at peace, a gentleman always keeps a blade at his side.
    -The Strategies of Wu. >>>
    <<< Not all that wander are lost.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien >>>>

powerring likes this.
  5. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

So is the Doug Ritter Mini M390 and the Benchmade Mini Grip the same knife?

6. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Not my knife, nor my picture (shamelessly 'borrowed' from KW website

[​IMG]

This knife is full of win, high flat grind Ritter blade in M390, bright scales, and cheap - relatively speaking...

I'd go with this one over a leek (which I do own several and like them quite a bit) every day of the week, and 3 times on Sunday. Yes, considerably more expensive than a Leek, but the Ritter is a far better knife in most every way.

Yes, exactly the same knife except in blade shape/profile and blade steel. It really is just a minigrip with a slightly different blade (which will swap between the two knives)...

powerring and Dedrich like this.
  7. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

The price difference between a Mini Grip and a Doug Ritter is around $50 (amazon vs. knifeworks, alas no orange on the forum store!).

Of course the more expensive one is available as an Orange handled mini, under 3" blade! I don't want to get anything more than that as I won't be able to EDC it in my city (or any other city environment).

8. Shuutr

Shuutr Loaded Pockets

I have owned 6 leeks (different colors) and have sold them all. I now own 10 mini griptilians and will likely own more. The griptilian offers better grip and blade shape in my optinion. Ritter - sheepsfoot - MDP - .......Leek.........Tanto mini grip. In that order.

If I had to go back, I would have skipped the leek and my first 5 mini griptilians and bought only mini ritters. They feel better in hand and are great utility and slicing knives. Is it worth the $50: YES. If you aren't a collector, like me, you'll likely buy one and be set for years to come.

Dedrich likes this.
  9. Shuutr

Shuutr Loaded Pockets

And I didn't even mention the difference in steel. If I remember correctly, the leek is 8cr13mov....the ritter is m390. The other models come in a anything from 154cm to D2 to S30V to m390. All great options for daily use.

10. Jby2206

Jby2206 Loaded Pockets

I'd go with the mini grip. If you have already have a scallion I don't see why you would need a leek.
    Every time I buy a knife I try to buy something completely different from what I already own. That way I get closer to finding "the perfect knife" not like that will stop me from buying more knives... :p

Dedrich likes this.
  11. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Indeed, the Ritter is only available through KW, it is an exclusive product for them. As for the price difference, it is a distinct step up in cost over the regular minigrip, but so is the knife - huge step up on the blade steel, more than anything but the blade profile is also better in many peoples (including my own) opinion.

If the price is a bit too steep for you and don't mind stepping down in blade steel a bit, check the secondary market on various boards. I have seen quite a number of lightly used s30v Ritters for sale for good prices, due to many people replacing their old Ritters to buy one with M390.

12. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

One other thing that should be mentioned about the Ritter's and blade steel.

The M390 is only on the satin finish knives, black blades are still all S30V...

13. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

Thanks everyone, all great points. It looks like I'll have to save a bit longer for the Ritter M390 but think that's the way to go.

Extra good point by Jby2206 - why would I buy more of what I have already?

Jby2206 likes this.
  14. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

Mini grip. The blade is more robust. The Leek's blade and tip are so thin and delicate I would be afraid to put it to hard use. The mini grip has better steel as well. It also has a better handle material offering better grip. It also has a better lock. It's only downfall is that it is also double or triple the price of the Leek. ;)

15. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

It looks like the mini grip is 2x the Leek, and the Doug Ritter M390 is 3x the Leek. I'm going to try to swing the Doug Ritter.

Lightnig likes this.
  16. whizdumb

whizdumb Loaded Pockets

M390 Ritter wins this competition all day everyday..

Sent from my HYPERDRIVEN S4

Lightnig likes this.
  17. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

M390 has been a great steel for me...

Lightnig likes this.
  18. NaturalMystic

NaturalMystic Loaded Pockets

My choice between the two is the Benchmade. I've never been a fan of the older Ken Onion Kershaws but have a regular Mini Grip and Ritter Mini Grip. I've just started EDCing the regular Mini again after putting a low rider clip on it and plan to replace the scales and put it into regular EDC rotation again. My Mini Ritter was modded a couple years ago with Cuscadi scales and STR low rider clip.

19. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

Does anyone know if Doug Ritter, designer of the Mini Griptilian or M390 is the same Doug Ritter of Knife Rights?

20. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

Yep, he is.

I saw a clip where Knife Rights is against banning all ivory... Is this true? Is there more context to why? There's all kinds of things wrong with the ivory trade (least of which is the killing of elephants).