1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mini chisel/pry bar project (reply to GRIFFENHAWKS)

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by RiotSnake, May 25, 2010.

1. RiotSnake

RiotSnake Loaded Pockets

Hi guys, after finding it hard to find any decent mini tools, especially pry bars in the UK thought i would give my self a little project. The tool is basically a cut down chisel about 3.5" long with a para cord wrap on the handle for comfort and a lanyard for extra grip and ease of use (about 3.5" again) It took about an hour to make with some hand tools, hacksaw, drill, metal file and I'm really pleased with the result. Makes a great little chisel and not to worried about it losing its edge so works well as a pry bar too...

[​IMG]

nooblearningquick likes this.
  2. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

O0Looks really good, you did a real nice job!! Looks SHARP too, nice paracord work!!! What else do you have in mind to make?

3. RiotSnake

RiotSnake Loaded Pockets

Thanks vegassprky, it is pretty sharp at the moment (normally keep an end cap on it), few minutes with a whetstone really keeps the edge keen. Not sure about my next project, might take another look in my tool shed for inspiration :) will make sure i post anything else i make though...

4. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

That is awesome ! I can't count how many times I could have used something like that ,)
    It must have been a slow process cutting the chisel by hand .. ?
    Nice work !

BE WELL .. GH

5. RiotSnake

RiotSnake Loaded Pockets

Thanks GH, actually didn't take to long to cut, had a new blade in my saw so probably took around 10 minutes? I prefer working with hand tools to be honest, especially on small jobs like this one...

6. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

I would like to see if you can make a cut down the middle and widen it with a small file or grinding wheel on a dremmel to ad a small nail puller in the center. Really nice useful item.

7. RiotSnake

RiotSnake Loaded Pockets

Thanks Homeland, i like the idea about the nail pull, not sure if it would work on this tool as its only about 3.5" long, not sure you would get enough leverage but if i can find a longer chisel to cut down (5 or 6 inch's?) would like to try to incorporate a nail puller...

8. JerryD

JerryD Loaded Pockets

That's pretty good. I like it a lot!

9. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

On the subject of portable pry bars and chisels, here's one that folds like a balisong: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001G5636S/b1store-20 I have the 1/2", 3/4", and 1" ones. The design definitely protects the chisel's edge. Prices are lower that the Amazon one shown (usually about $12 each).

Unfortunately, these are not designed to flip open as a real balisong would (or maybe that's a good thing). Good work, though, RiotSnake: a cool design, well-executed, too.

10. RiotSnake

RiotSnake Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the positive comments guys, started making a smaller pouch type kit for when i don't want to take my whole bag out with me so made another smaller version of my chisel/pry bar, still about 3.5" long but only half inch thick this time...

[​IMG]

11. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Oh I like this one, and the knot-work is also very nice ,)

BE WELL .. GH

12. 177itch

177itch Loaded Pockets

looks good!

13. ClusterFlux

ClusterFlux Loaded Pockets

Nice work! I feel inspired to go out and make one my self!