1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Military Wool Blankets?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by bmstrong, Aug 25, 2017.

1. bmstrong

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

Anyone happen to have experience with military wool blankets? I need a new comforter and I’ve always been intrigued. Is their a brand or branch that makes better quality one? What kind of wool is traditionally used? Are these kind of things still issued today?

2. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Never had one myself, I'm guessing that they are great at retaining body heat but the downsides are, scratchy against the face/skin, fairly weighty & bulky, useless when wet?

Anyone got/use one?

3. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I have a couple wool blankets, one new old stock military one from Switzerland. It's about 2kg of pure sheepswool and most of the others i have are vintage Dutch blankets. New military replicas and many other military blankets are often made of a blend or out of full polyester. I try to avoid blends as i prefer full wool for its nice and natural properties, i never buy polyester blankets period. They are great for camping (tho not for hiking or any other lightweight activity) and for just throwing on the couch in winter. When treated right you can keep the scratchiness to a minimum and they keep you warm without getting humid/damp and even when they do get wet they still isolate a fair bit but ofc not nearly as good as a dry one will.

Military blankets come in a variety of deferent sizes, thickness and colours. If you have the option i recommend you get a look/feel for em before you buy. Depending on how they have been washed/stored/treated you can find a lot of differences in softness, thickness and color even between blankets from the same batch. New old stock military ones will be impregnated with insect repellent, make sure you know how to get that out, it's smelly stuff.

4. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I purchased one new from our local surplus store. It's black, as opposed to your typical OD green and is 80/20 wool/polyester (I think). I keep it in my car for use as a blanket in the winter if I were to get stuck and also as a groundcover if I have to change a tire in the summertime. Nothing like burning your knees on scorching asphalt in the middle of the summer in Nevada! Lesson learned...

I've also used it a couple times on camping trips when my normal covers (inside the RV) were not warm enough. I find that it's actually pretty soft but if you are sensitive to wool you probably won't like it. I'm sure it would be great as a layering blanket.

It had a pretty strong scent when I purchased it, but I machine washed it and everything turned out all right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

Love them ! Plus there useful life is measured in decades, not years .

Jake

6. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

If you store em properly that is. Living on a farm like i do really means you have to take care with storing wool for any period of time but its best to just keep using it year round ;)

7. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Bought a couple about 10 years ago at a farm supply store that sell a decent amount of military surplus. I keep them in our cars and they serve as emergency blankets and picnic blankets.

I do NOT treat them well. Regardless, they've held up exceptionally well.

8. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

I usually get my wool blankets at thrift stores --- military or civilian.
    I look for high percentages of wool, and a tight weave.
    I use mine in my Jeep as picnic, beach, and emergency blankets.
    They hold their warmth when wet, and since I live on a coast this is an important feature.

9. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I still have a NOS italian military 100% wool blanket.
    Very heavy and thick (it packs in a roll about 7"x15") but really warm, fireproof and waterproof ('cos of lanolin).
    Absolutely recommended !.

10. Datu

Datu Loaded Pockets

Itchy like a mofo. I use a poncho liner as a comforter.

MCPOWoller likes this.
  11. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

In boot camp and on the ship they always told us that they were mainly to be used as fire blankets to cover yourself in case you had to exit a burning building or space. Not sure if that is true or not but they didn't really keep us warm. We always slept in our sweats.

Datu likes this.