1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mil Tec - Any Good?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by .Ed, Jun 4, 2015.

1. .Ed

.Ed Loaded Pockets

As much as I really want a 5.11 Rush 24, I doubt I can justify the £90+ outlay on one.

The Mil Tec Assault(at least) seems to be a viable option at around £25ish. I did ask the question in my EDC thread but had'nt got an answer yet.... Is it actually any good? Most of the 4/5* reviews on Amazon are from people who have just recieved theirs in the post and there was only one review on Youtube which did look to be more positive.

Tristar777 likes this.
  2. TJ S.

TJ S. Loaded Pockets

I saw one at a gun show this past weekend and passed it up for an Explorer Tactical. The Mil Tec just felt flimsy, the nylon was extremely light and the stitching wasnt real good either.

.Ed likes this.
  3. .Ed

.Ed Loaded Pockets

Where / what is good is good middle ground?

4. TJ S.

TJ S. Loaded Pockets

There are a ton of bag experts running around in here from what I can tell, I'm fairly new to the bag world. Hopefully some of the guys with way more experience will chime in.

I'm carrying a UTG Messenger bag for my EDC, which is on the lower end but works well for me. I picked up a couple of the Explorer B6 bags for my GTFO bags project and they're probably considered low end as well.

.Ed likes this.
  5. RoboSim

RoboSim Loaded Pockets

No experience with Mil Tec. LAPG operator packs are an economical alternative.

chaosmagnet and Bander124 like this.
  6. dfryer1193

dfryer1193 Loaded Pockets

I currently have a mil-tec backpack (not 100% sure on model. It's a 20L bag). If you're not going to be beating the bag to high hell, I'd argue that it's better value for money than a brand like 5.11.

The quality might not be quite as high as a 5.11, but I've had my bag 3 years and it's not showing any signs of quitting. Most bags I've had in the past (usually cheap school bags) have given up in a year or two.

7. jocsen

jocsen Loaded Pockets

I have a miltec 20lit for about 2 months. Everyday use and camping also. At the moment is ok. Not only for the money but as a construction. I was thinking buying a maxpedition falcon 2 , same design. But it costs 200euro here in europe. And i dont know if its worth it. Miltec produced in china , maxpedition in taiwan. I assume that producing costs is much higher in taiwas, thous the price difference. Otherwise the materials of max are better but it doesnt reflect the price difference. I m confused!does anybody has experience miltec in hard use? Camping, army, hiking etc?

8. F-Bobby

F-Bobby EDC Junkie

One of my friends just picked up a Mil-Tec bag. I got a look at it and it seemed pretty damned good for the price he paid for it. Lookin at 40$ bags you're not gonna get the best quality. But For that price you can buy one every couple of years if they wear out.

9. jocsen

jocsen Loaded Pockets

i would like the tad lite speed , but 360.00 for a backpack is way to much! i d rather buy a folding bike!!!!

10. Tenebra

Tenebra Empty Pockets

As a Mil-Tec assault pack owner i can tell you, you need to decide what you need it for. For EDC, weekend hikes, or city bag its good, much better than most of chinese non branded bags. For real millitarry and combat trips, the quality isn't good, as for some serious hikes. I got mine heavily modified to go weekend 2 day hikes. after 1 year usage there are some wear marks, but overall condition is good.

EDC, weekend hikes - YES.
    Millitary, combat trips - No. It's better to buy 5.11 or TT bag.

[​IMG]

Tristar777 and jocsen like this.
  11. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

As Tenebra says, it'll largely depend on its intended usage as to whether you'll consider it any good or not. My experience of Mil-Tec (handling, not owning) is not particularly positive, but then I like my gear to be bombproof. If you're just going to use it to bimble round town, then it'll probably do you just fine.

If you're prepared to increase your budget, there's always the Direct Action line , which is very good quality for the price point.

As a UK resident, Military1st would be a good source for the DA kit - If you decide to get anything from there, drop me a line and I'll see what I can do about getting you a discount code (No connection to the store, just happen to have a couple of codes)

jocsen likes this.
  12. jocsen

jocsen Loaded Pockets

Tenebra and roguetrooper, thank you for your advice! I have it as an edc bag and also for camping or hiking. But as the time changes and overall in europe is somewhat emergency situation i want to be prepared for everything. I have also a pentagon kyler, which is high quality bag, but a bit big. I like the 20lit backpacks. Unfortunatelly the falcon 2 is out of stock in greece and i have to wait until september to order one. Tenebra, you made nice modifications at your bag. I would be delighted if you can post some more photos to take some ideas! Thank you both mates!

13. Tenebra

Tenebra Empty Pockets

I'm glad to help. I'll try to make some photos when i get home.

jocsen likes this.
  14. nine4t4

nine4t4 Empty Pockets

I've got a Mil-Tec backpack, I needed a 3 day bag and it was cheap Overall it's okay, but some details are reminiscent of Rothco. The inside of the shoulder straps are WAY too thin for a contact point. It also doesn't have much structure so it tends to sag into a triangle unless the main compartment is packed. The hardware and straps are okay but I could have found better

I've also got a UTG Fatboy clone, for bare essentials. For the money, I'm amazed at the quality of the UTG. It's not Maxpedition, but it's much closer in quality than it is in price. I don't know if I got lucky or if they are always that well made, but I'm impressed. I didn't expect much, but after a year of daily use I haven't seen a stitch out of place.

15. jocsen

jocsen Loaded Pockets

I made my decision. i ordered a falcon 2. i hope its worth the money because its quite expensive for a country in crisis!!! i ll review when i get it and use it. thank you all mates!

16. Tenebra

Tenebra Empty Pockets

Sorry for delay bro, too busy schedule this week. Here some pictures I've promised, hope they will inspire you on modding.

P.s. My wife kindly agreed to model, so backpack looks a little large for her ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

dml24, jocsen and chaosmagnet like this.
  17. jocsen

jocsen Loaded Pockets

Oh!thank you both for the nice photos! nice job you did there! I packed my miltec for a weekend camping really heavy! i dont think i m gonna have any problem. greetings from Greece!

dml24 likes this.
  18. jocsen

jocsen Loaded Pockets

so!!overall for2 days camping i am really impressed with miltec 20lit. i have attached 2 isomates, 1 slepping bag, 1 molle 2lit attached for food, 1 1lt watercarrier, and 1 campingtent.ofcourse the rest of things like swimming pants , clothes, paracord etc.. having the bag on my back was really comfortable too. i think the weight was about 8-10 kg which is enough for the size of the bag. ofcourse i have to use it further more to examine the durability of the bag, threads etc

Tenebra likes this.
  19. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

I had a mil-tec-backback years ago. due to bad quality and bad craftsmanship, I threw it away, rather soon. The molle was crap and the material was more on the "experimental" side, to be polite (way too stiff and brittle) I tried the "onetigris" bushcrafter and so far I really likeit WAY more than MIL-TEC.

jocsen likes this.
  20. jocsen

jocsen Loaded Pockets

does anybody knows when falcon 2 was first issued?