1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Migration to AA flashlights

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Jdjernigan, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Jdjernigan

Jdjernigan Loaded Pockets

Nice to hear everyone’s thoughts and thanks for your input. For the first light I have gone with a Streamlight Protac 1L-1AA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twin63 likes this.
  2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'd like to jump in on the debate/discussion of rechargeable vs disposable cells for edc lights.

I'm sort of on the same plane as @EZDog. Up until now I've made a conscious effort to pretty much standardize on AAA powered lights that I carry in pocket (Streamlight Microstream), in my bag (Streamlight Stylus Pro), or in most of my FAK (Car, home -- all use AAA lights: Streamlight Microstream or Stylus Pro; a couple use an Eveready Penlight; all use AAA cells). My keychains use Nitecore Tube lights which are of course USB rechargeable.

Not that I don't have a few other lights (a largish Maglite in the car that has 'C' cells); a key chain light (NOT on a keychain!) using a CR123; a few misc lights scattered around the house which all use either AA or AAA.

So for the same reasons mentioned above my favorites have been AA or AAA -- easy to get anywhere.

Streamlight as many may know recently came out with a new USB rechargeable Microstream featuring high/low output. After viewing several favorable reviews I bit. It is pretty nice. Getting into high beam from low is a bit touchy but I think I'll get used to it.

What I had forgotten from my experiences with the Nitecore Tube lights is just how long it takes to recharge these things! The Microstream takes about 4 hours once it is drained... Which I didn't realize. Which is not to me a characteristic of a great EDC light.

So.... for true edc, with true flexibility of use, I come down on the same point as @EZDog! I like the flexibility of picking up a multipack of AAA cells just about anywhere!

Just my NSHO!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  3. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

after the 2004 hurricane season where we had multiple storms, I standardized my emergency lighting to AA Eneloops...at that time all I had for a task light an old Gerber Infinity, now a Fenix E21

a SolarForce x2 is on my key ring (it is stainless, but heavy)

my headlamp is a Black Diamond, and my area lamp is a Coleman 3AA high tech LED

a lesson learned after Irma was a dedicated power strip to run all the chargers off the same wall outlet when running the generator

my weather alert Reecom radio and old Grundig FR200 also run on AAs

weapon's lights are still CR123 and my long distance thrower is a M3 head on a 3x123 SolarForce L2m with additional section...

Moshe ben David likes this.
  4. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

The downsides to an AA powered light is lumens and runtime, sure you might get many hours on moon light mode but personally I don't find that very useful. Generally most of these lights will just cut out when the battery hits 1 volt, so only one third of the battery is used,....that's not very efficient is it.

You guys must be constantly buying a lot of AA batteries then. Lol

5. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

if OP will carry several, he can specifically include one that will suck out every bit of energy from a battery in the low modes with regulation or those that just go dimmer over time. Most cheap chinese light like the Sk68 will do just this and just run dimmer and dimmer until there's nothing left in the cell.

6. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Nope. I (and likely others too) use Eneloop rechargeable batteries - to avoid the waste and environment pollution from drained alkalines.

7. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

As mentioned before the Fenix HL30 has a red light and uses AA, so there's that one.

Ideally, if you are looking to consolidate everything to AA power I'd consider a headlamp, lantern, 1x AA, 2x AA and 4x AA light and that would likely cover most needs.

Fenix and Thrunite both have some good offerings in those categories; though I'd give Fenix a slight lead on dependability from personal expirience. Although the Thrunite TN4A is likely the king of 4x AA lights, but the Fenix LD41 and some of their new zoom-able options aren't bad either.

8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just for clarity I do use and throw away many Alkaline Batteries and am not going to pretend that I don't.
    I am also used to being shamed about it here and anywhere else that I am honest and try to explain my reasoning.

Regardless it seems that almost no one actually attempts to see my point of view about it resulting in even more attempted shaming and environmental and recharging self-righteousness to which again I admit I am mostly immune.

It is what it is.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  9. tiktok 22

tiktok 22 Loaded Pockets

I'm also on the AA flashlight bandwagon as of late. I now only carry single cell AA lights for a few reasons.

1. AA batteries are the most common cell available.
    2. AAA cells are the next most common.
    3. AA and AAA cells are cheap.
    4. AA lights will also run on AAA with adapters as simple as paper and aluminum foil or purchased adapters.
    5. I use single cell lights because in a :censored: scenario, one AA is easier to find than two AA's. I can't run a 2xAA light on one AA easily however If I find 2 AA's and have a single AA light, I still have a spare.
    6. All my lights can run 14500's,10440's. Lithium primaries, NiMH, zinc chloride or Nickel cadmium.
    7. on 3.7 volt cells, all my lights produce amazing light. on 1.2-1.5v, they still produce 100 lumens.

My only other lights consist of 18650 variants or multiple AA's, but they aren't in my normal rotation.

#29 tiktok 22, Nov 24, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  10. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

What are your favorites in those three categories you mentioned?

11. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I switched to AA Rechargeable Eneloops for my flashlights a few years back and have been very satisfied. TN4A is the ultimate utility AA light imo. Lumintop EDC05 is a nice little edc AA light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ran23 likes this.
  12. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

AAA: ThruNite Ti3, 3 modes with (for me) very useful lumen (0.05, 12, 120): tried other AAA keychain lights and most time the modes were odd for me (starting in medium mode would blind me, which i don't like - or only have a single mode which is not a fit for different illumination needs)
    AA: ThruNite TH20 head-lamp; i'm still considering a flashlight - maybe a Klarus or Fenix
    18650: ThruNite TC12, but any 500-800 lumen flashlight would do for me

steeps likes this.
  13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera Loaded Pockets

Shaming aside, Energizer Lithium AAs are more cost-effective than alkalines. I don't buy any alkaline AAs, AAAs, or 9Vs anymore, only lithium versions of the same. They run [dang] near forever and they are so unlikely to leak that I've never actually seen it happen in the past 18 years.

- - -

If, like the OP, I wanted to standardize on AA-powered lights, I would make a point of buying lithium AAs. They are the only AA batteries that can output multiple amps at 1.5V, meaning they are the only AA batteries that can actually run bright flashlights at full brightness when necessary. Even Eneloops can't keep up for long, in my experience.

Moshe ben David and FiaOlleDog like this.
  14. 4sound

4sound Empty Pockets

I like the UTorch UT01. Has a nice Cree XP-L. Under $20. :)
    Simple side-click. Had for over a year and had no problems.

15. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Where are you buying your lithium batteries from, know of a good discount store/place?

Just wondering how much one works out at in your part of the world, here in the UK I think that it's around £1 a battery!