1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Migration to AA flashlights

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Jdjernigan, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Jdjernigan

Jdjernigan Loaded Pockets

I have decided to try and migrate all of my light sources to AA from AAA and CR123’s. Currently I carry the following:

Right Front Pocket: Maglite solitaire on a pocket dangle thing with a Leatherman Juice SG

Left Front Pocket: Fenix LD02 AAA

Pen pocket on my EDC bag is a 4 Sevens Preon 2

Headlamp is a Petzel Tactikka

Lantern is a Uco Clarus

I would like to replace each of these with something in AA.

Here is my list so far:

Right front: Single AA that has a tail click and just a few lumen settings

Left front w/Leatherman Juice: Maglite solitaire sized that has a place for a small key ring on the tail. I’ve found that carrying the Leatherman Juice with a solitaire has been a great combo. It would be cool if this light had a magnetic base like an Olight.

Pen light for EDC bag: ???

Headlamp:??? (Must have red light capability). I prefer a filter like that on the Petzel Tactikka

Lantern: ??? (I really like the size of the Uco Clarus)

What are your recommendations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Fenix do a AA headlamp with a red light as well. Can't remember the number, but I'll look at mine.

3. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

headlamp.. thrunite TH20 takes AA.. 30$ - oh, no idea if it has red light.

Tailclick light with AA an low lumen output and still 3 modes.. Thrunite T10: moonlight 0.02lm, med 13 lumen, high 252 lumen if needed. Tailclick. get one while they are still around or get the new T10v2 version with sideswitch and megnetic tail for 20$. cannot go wrong with either.

why a penlight with 2xAA? Fenix does some 2xAA lights, but they are more in the tactical part..
    and why a penlight for the bag? if you insist on AA and carry it in a bag, think bigger, you can get 4xAA lights that can put out a load of light. like in really a lot.

check out the TN4A for example:
    • -Turbo (1150 lumens /56 minutes)
      -High (550 lumens /150 minutes)
      -Medium (139 lumens /14 hrs)
      -Low (15 lumens /93 hrs)
      -Firefly (0.5 lumens /80 days).
    then make or get a diffusor for it an you have a great lantern. most regular lanterns on the market are pretty lame anyway.

#3 flux, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  4. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Interesting that you are migrating to AA lights only,...if you are talking about single cell ones, won't you miss the lumens and run time other cells offer?

5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I carry both a ZL SC52w and Fenix LD12 in pockets every minute that I am wearing pants.
    The ZL is floody and the Fenix more of a thrower and together they cover most of my daily needs well.
    The ZL is well just a ZL and in my experience the best all around AA light ever made overall and mine have never let me down.
    The Fenix has both a Forward Tail Click Switch AND a side Mode Selector Switch and can be left in any mode easily for quick TailSwitch operation as needed.
    I have Backups of both of these lights in case I lose or kill one somehow.

I Love the Jetbeam Jet-1 MK Pro too as it is under $15 and amazing in almost every way for such a low price,these have a great keychain attachment point and a 1/4-20 thread set on the tail for interesting mounting options not seen in many other lights.

The Thrunite T10 is also great as has been suggested though I have no time with the newest version either,hope they did not ruin it somehow?

The ET D25A are probably the slimmest AA lights around and not that much bigger than the AAA lights though obviously they have to be bigger in general too.
    The D25A2 might be the most "Penlight" like AA too and is a great 2aa option as is the Fenix LD22 which is just a longer LD12 really.

Also Olight makes the S1A which is I think just like the 123 version but with an AA cell and I imagine it has the same features but I do not have one to say for sure.

I usually carry a ZL Headlamp but also like the Fenix HL50 which can take a 123 or an AA cell.

I have a few Black Diamond Headlamps which have a red led and also dim to any level which is nice and they are reliable for me and I use a Headlamp a lot though I can not remember ever using Red for any reason really?

I also like the Mag AA lights and there are a lot worse lights out there than a Maglite for sure. The best feature for me is that I can get them and replace them ANYWHERE I happen to be and this can be a very useful feature for sure!

At the other end of the spectrum the Malkoff MDA are amazing lights and I have them in both AA and 2AA versions and the HDS Rotary with AA Tube is maybe the best light ever made and not too bad as a Club too!

I also like the McGizmo Haiku AA but each these last models are not for everyone but only the dedicated crazy light nuts probably?

I too use mainly AA lights and am happy to trade the output and runtime of other battery types for the universal availability of the AA battery.
    Yes I just throw the dead ones away mostly,sorry Mother Earth.
    I go through a lot of batteries in the lights I use all the time and as long as always in use I have had no issues with Alkalines leaking at all. If I do not use a light a lot it has Eneloops or Lithium Primary batteries in it to avoid Alkaline leakage.

This is just what works for me and has for a long time.

#5 EZDog, Nov 16, 2018
  6. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

I was wondering that, too, what his reasoning is. If I had 2 AA lights in my pockets and another AA light in my bag, it would only be for ease of use and aviability for that single power source. So ideally I should have plenty more of these everwhere. But then I don't get why he wants several different lights that do different things, when a single multimode light will cover these uses. (low lumen mode, medium and high mode). I am not talking about flashlights vs headlights and lanterns or throw vs flood.

I would do the contrary, spread the power sources to have more options what you can use. If you can only find AAA somewhere, you better have a good small AAA light somewhere, like a thrunite ti3 or a zanflare f3. If you find AA, take the T10. Sure, AA has lot more capacity than AAA, but what about the even stronger batteries?

I would add an olight universal charger, a powerbank like thrunite c2 that could charge all my batteries and my phone on the go while I can use a backup light and the powerbank can also open and give me a 18650 backup battery in a pinch for my 18650 single cell flashlight, and this flashlight would have just as much energy as 4xAA cells and can deliver more output, while weighing less. The bigger cells can always charge the smaller cells, and all can be loaded by a simple USB phone charger.

I really would not want to carry 2 of the same lights and another similar 2 in my bagpack if I can save weight and get more options instead.

Maybe the reasoning could be to stockpile just the most common batteries for catastrophic events when you cannot recharge anything for foreseeable time so you have to fall back on disposable batteries. or to hand over some of the lights to someone. But then I rather have several of the same quality light instead of one dim, one bright... and even then I would still prefer to have alternative power sources. But since this is EDC forum and not prepper forum (I know, lines are blurry), I really wonder why you want to carry so many of the same items. Especially why a 2xAAA penlight when you have two AA's in your pants already. But then,I already suggested the TN4, that would add more variety in output for sure.

Maybe OP likes to explain his reasoning.

Last edited by flux, Nov 16, 2018
    #6 flux, Nov 16, 2018
    FiaOlleDog likes this.
  7. Jdjernigan

Thanks for the input so far and I’ll try to answer some of the questions.

The pen light is throwing off a few folks so I’ll touch on that one first. I began carrying a pen light as a light that also could function as an impact and joint manipulation device. But then I carry at least one pen in my pocket at all times so the light went into my bag that I carry in the office with me. I really just like having another light in my bag, I usually keep a spare knife in my bag and have loaned these out for others to use from time to time. I may back this down to a single cell light or a mag-lite mini-mag.

Several asked why I wanted AA vs having a mix. Well the short answer is that I really don’t want to have to carry spares for a bunch of different batteries and devices. My GPS uses AA, the battery adapter for my HAM radio is AA, my flashlights were AAA or CR-123 and I would wind up with a bunch of different battery types. I carry the batteries in Storacells and it’s just not convenient to carry that many batteries.

The other thing is that I’m not overly worried about the amount of lumens that I can get from some of the massive lights with 1,000,000,000,000 lumens. My current EDC lights are 100 lumen or less.

I will probably keep some CR-123’s batteries for lights that I have and won’t be getting rid of. I have several Streamlight Polytacs, my original Surefire G2 and an Olight S10 which all are CR-123. None of these are EDC lights for me.

My rifle light is a Streamlight Protac Rail 1 that will work with a AA or CR-123. This is a cool light and I’m getting 150 lumens in a AA or 350 lumens out of a CR-123. My pocket EDC is leaning towards a Streamlight Protac 1L-1AA.

As far as red lens for a headlamp this is something that I really use quite a bit when camping and spending time outdoors. In my opinion it is much easier on my eyes and on the eyes of others around me. Blame it on my Army background.

Just a bit of my thought process.

8. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Fenix HL30 is a 2xAA head torch with a red light as well. I don't use mine often but it does what I need when I need it to.

9. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

The Zebralight H53fc is a great floody headlight with high CRI. One thing to note is that you'd need to run it on Eneloop or Eneloop Pro rechargeables to get the best out of it.

Pair that with a flashlight with a bit of reach on it and you'd have a good combination.

10. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Look at the Surefire e2laa outdoorsman. Runs on two aa’s and has a flat line output for around nine hours on high. Great light.

11. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

While I can understand (somewhat) the ratio behind standardizing on a single battery type (AA in your case), I've found that you have to make compromises (like lumen, [too?] bulky for keychain, etc.).

I've been down this "one size fits all" route - and came back with the decision that I want a limited (read: well picked) set of standard (read: well available) battery types:
    • AAA for keychain because of small form factor
    • AA for headlamp - could be very well also 18650
    • 18650 for a powerful handheld flashlight

No (R)CR123 or any of the other larger/shorter/bigger ones - also most of them are rechargeable with Olights wonderful USB charger. But broad availability and quick swap to get the flashlight working again (vs. charging it for xx minutes like many keychain USB chargeable flashlights are) is more important for me than more power (e.g. lumen) in a smaller form factor.

Everyone has different priorities and they should be respected.

12. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Personally I'd look for AA lights that can also run on an 14500 3.7V rechargeable cell,...I have the Olight S15R for example, that light opened my eyes to the advantages, really decent amount of lumens and run time over an AA battery but it could run on one of those without needing to carry an extension tube like I would with a few of my RCR123 lights.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  13. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Very good point, @earthman - more flashlights these days can be used with both 14500 and AA; similar to 10440 in AAA torches. Best of both worlds - high lumen (also often shorter runtimes) and still resupply with NiMh or alkaline (if nothing else is available).

14. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Charging simply does not work for everyone in an EDC role.
    I am one of those people.

I can get AA batteries literally everywhere and at anytime as needed.

I need easy,cheap,predictable light and I need to not add one more step to making sure that I have it.

I realize this is an unpopular position but it is my reality and I have learned about myself that if I rely on recharging batteries to get my work done,then I end up having to work i the dark too often.

This does not work for me.

Moshe ben David and FiaOlleDog like this.
  15. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

That were me too but since I got torches with rechargeable bases, I've not had a problem.

I've got into a routine of topping them up whenever I'm sat at my PC or driving my vehicle, they all have USB outlets nowadays so why not? I do have dedicated battery/wall charges but it were a faff using them.

16. Jdjernigan

The rechargeable aspect for me isn’t the best option unless I also have the option of using alkaline or lithium batteries. I have a job where I have the potential to be in locations without power for multiple days. I know I could put a charger in a vehicle and charge from that but then I have to worry about the security of that vehicle and equipment.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  17. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have tried to get on board with charging many,many times and it is just not practical for me period.

Sure I do recharge when I can but I can not rely on recharging to keep me going.

18. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I'm guessing that you have/use a mobile phone? I bet that you charge that whilst driving? Why can't you just plug in a flashlight too??

I agree about not having a torch with a built in battery, I certainly like having options so a removable battery is a must for me.

19. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Again, I'm guessing that it works out for you with a mobile phone, I can't see why it would be any different with a torch??

20. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nope.