1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Midcut Desert boots with side zip?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by jlomein, May 12, 2016.

1. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    (not my photo)

My 5.11 Advance boots from 2010 are finally starting to give in. The rubber toe rand is cracking from age/wear at crease lines and has holes now.

These wonderful boots are discontinued and sold out in common sizes. I've searched but decent alternatives are hard to find. Criteria I'm looking for are:

-midcut boot height (4-6"), covers ankle
    -side zip
    -desert tan, brown, or subtle alternatives (no black)
    -high breathability (mesh or drainage eyelets a plus)
    -subtle styling, not loud
    -wide in arch and toe box

So far I've only found two potential alternatives, both from Reebok.

[​IMG]

These ones above are currently best. Downsides are composite toe (soft toe preferred), no protective toe rand, and aggressive styling.

[​IMG]

These boots above look to be less breathable and the styling is terrible.

Please post any alternatives you know. Thanks!

2. USMC1911er

USMC1911er Loaded Pockets

I have that first pair you showed and really liked them. In my opinion they are as comfortable as any tennis shoe I have ever worn. I have had them about 6 months and have no complaints other than I wish it had a pull loop on the back like the second pair you showed. Pretty sure they make them in a soft toe. I have seen reviews on them where people have complained about the durability of them but so far have not had any of their issues.

3. Lane DeCamp

Lane DeCamp Loaded Pockets

There's quite a difference in how your old boot soles worked and how those new ones do. The old ones are a flat sole design stitched or glued to the upper, while the potential replacements have a three-dimensional structure that means they don't flex the same way. It sounds like that might be an issue for you.

You already have laces, so do you have an absolute prohibition on using them? The Lowa Desert Elites are a bit pricey but by far the nicest desert boot out there. These are the boots chosen by the British SAS for their desert warfare. Superb construction, good looking, and extremely well ventilated. They vastly outlast cheaper alternatives.

4. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Don't give up on a composite toe. You only need to have one drop in a pair of them and then you may learn to love them. The downside is that your feet look bigger.

5. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the replies guys. USMC1911er, for the Tan 6" version specifically, unfortunately there is no soft toe option. Thanks for the opinion though, it might be my top choice right now.

Lane DeCamp thanks, but I'm just looking for a midheight side zip boot right now. I have several other lace up boots (Salomon Wings GTX, Danner Arcadia, some Danner mountain boots, Merrell). I like the side zips for summer urban wear when I need to don and doff quickly.

Adnj, I would prefer soft toe, but to be honest I haven't used a comp toe before, only steel toe. I just assumed that comp toe might be less breathable and flexible, and like you mention it has a big boxy look.

6. USMC1911er

USMC1911er Loaded Pockets

I guess I didn't know my boots as well as I thought. The ones I have are the reebok dauntless ultra lights. Apparently they are 8" but they are soft toe

7. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

Over at the big river online store they have 6" Ryno Gear Tactical Combat Boots that get good reviews. Might be worth a shot?

8. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

I do have the Reeboks.

[​IMG]

Just be aware that these run large, as in wide. I normally wear a wide, and I ordered these in wide, found out they are too wide, so next time I'll get the regular width. Also, the tongue of the boot is just too thick, and end up sticking out all the time.