1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Midclass fountain pen

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by sino2, Sep 5, 2016.

1. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

I enjoy writing with fountain pens at work. After using my kaweco Sports i want to upgrade for something bigger,more for writing than for carrying.(thus i enjoy the kawecos much,excellent nibs,Great design)

I' m looking for a deskpen,something classic,the more oldish the better..

Designwise i like black pens with gold trims and classic nibs,but also the 1960s hooded nib Parker 51s.i also like resign instead of steel or brass because its better to Grip and lighter.don't know if piston Filler or cartridge because cartridge has its advantages but is also bland and dull.if cartridge than international System.
    No modern Design like the lamys.my pricerange is 100 euro max.

Things on my list:

-Pelikan m200 or m150
    -kaweco Student

2. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

Lamy 2000 or Pilot Vanishing Point.
    These are the entry to gold nibs and both incredibly fine pens, right around your price point.

Past that, maybe save for a Pelikan.

Ataki, TV09 and WillAdams like this.
  3. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

Sorry but Lamy 2000 and the Vanishing point are the complete opposite of what i'm looking for.To modern,nontraditional design and propietary cardriges.

4. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

Kaweco student, Pilot, or an Edison would be a great edc mid level pen. All depends on your price point.

5. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

Sorry, reread your post and saw the $100 euros price point...... Kaweco Elite or the Waterman expert would also fall into that range...... If you look hard enough you could probably get into a sailor 1911.

WillAdams likes this.
  6. zestyalpaca

zestyalpaca Loaded Pockets

I second the Sailor 1911 if you can find one at that price. It writes and feels like a much more expensive pen, and it has a pretty classic look. I have three Sailor fountain pens and they're my favorite writers.

WillAdams likes this.
  7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Given the criteria you want, I'd say the Pelican M200 should do very well. I have a couple. Smooth writers, not at all heavy. Never fail to start up. Given that it is a piston fill, the barrel is the ink reservoir. Holds a large volume. The M150 may also do just as well; I've just not used one.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

iacchus and WillAdams like this.
  8. Sachsen

Sachsen Loaded Pockets

I highly recommend the Platinum 3776 Century. It hits all your preferred characteristics. You would probably really like the black-on-black version. These are routinely found on ebay and amazon for between $80-$85 from Japanese sellers, including shipping. You want to order from a seller that includes a converter since they don't normally come with one. But mine (with a UEF nib) is my all-time favorite pen. If you like a smooth-as-silk nib and don't mind a bit wider line then the M nib would probably be perfect for you.

WillAdams likes this.
  9. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just to defend my current favorite pen a little... the Lamy 2000 isn't as new as you may think it is. It still looks like it could have been designed last year, but it's been around unchanged since the mid- 1960s. It's not as old of a design as many of the other options out there, but it's not new either. It's just that Gerd Muller had a talent for doing timeless designs, so it still looks futuristic today.
    It's a great pen, especially for the money. It balances well, is well made, has a smooth gold nib, a good smooth piston filler, is light enough to use for long writing sessions, and even posts well (and I hardly ever post my pens). I do understand if it's not something you're drawn to, but it's really not as young as it seems :)
    ETA- the Parker 51 is actually older than it seems as well... it was designed in the late 1930s and released in 1941, though when you think of that era you think of Vacumatics and Duofolds, not 51s.

Moshe ben David and WillAdams like this.
  10. Highbinder

Highbinder Loaded Pockets

It might not be to your styling but for a pen that writes well above its price point I would suggest the Platinum 3776 series.

Classic cigar styling (obviously inspired by the MB146), choice of gold or rhodium trim, and beautiful expressive nibs that have a soft springy character (same nibs as Nakaya pens). I ordered mine directly from Japan and cost me a hair over 60 quid. Mine is a fine nib and my absolute favourite pen, real work horse, and super dependable - the lids have an additional sealing mechanism to help prevent ink drying out.

11. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

You might still be able to find a TWSBI Micarta for around your price point. They pop up on the bay or the FP forums sometimes.

rat-7 likes this.
  12. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

Oooooooo good call. I've been lusting for one of those for a while.

iacchus likes this.
  13. Scoman

Scoman Loaded Pockets

I use the pilot cap less pen as an EDC, love it.

Moshe ben David and iacchus like this.
  14. Siwhite

Siwhite Loaded Pockets

15. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

Yes the Lamy 2000 is older that i thought and really iconic and respectable. Just not my philisophy.
    I think the Pelikan M200 and M150 are what i'm looking for,very traditional.I just need to handle both, they ca nbe bought for around 60-70Euro online.

Moshe ben David and WillAdams like this.
  16. stoneworks

stoneworks Loaded Pockets

If you still like Kaweco try the Al Sport, heavier better constructed body. I just bought a Papermate off ebay, lovely writer. There are just many good fountain pens.

Sent from my SGP512 using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David likes this.
  17. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

Kaweco Dia2 is a really nice pen. Retro looking.

WillAdams likes this.