1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mid Priced Boots Recommendations

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by thegrouch314, Nov 21, 2016.

1. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

The pair of safety boots I've been wearing for the last two years has finally given up the ghost and so amount of glue on the sole is going to keep the water out this winter.

I'm looking for a pair of good boots in the £50-60 range, or $100 for you Americans.
    They need to have a steel toe and be waterproof. It'd be good if they look nice too but that's a secondary consideration.

And before you tell me to drop the cash on a pair of Redwings, I'm a broke student. When I have the cash I will

Thanks

2. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

If the old boots lasted two years and you were happy with them, how about just going with a new pair with those? What brands are available to you or are you planning on ordering them online? How tall of a boot? When you say "waterproof" do you want a membrane (e.g., GoreTex)? Wolverine has a bunch of boots that list around $100-$130 that you should be able to find discounted to get you down to your $100 goal. Same for Timberland.

3. DannyX

DannyX Loaded Pockets

Check out Atlas from Germany. Paid 70 Euro and they're really comfy and also good looking (at least compared to the huge mass of butt-ugly working boots).
    Wore them on construction site for 1,5 years and they're still in very good condition.

4. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

How about Red Wings? (Sorry, I couldn't help myself, I love mine going on like 8 years).

5. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I can sympathize, but your target price makes it tough. I just bought an inexpensive pair of Wolverines, on sale, and they were $122 USD.

What I can tell you is to steer clear of Timberland. Had the soles separate on a pair with only light usage. I posted a pic somewhere around here...

6. Minos

Minos Loaded Pockets

I got some Wolverine moc toe boots recently for like $80 US. Steel toe, welted sole, very comfy.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

wikededge likes this.
  7. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

Work boots I now only wear Haix they're lasting 4-5 years of site work 10hrsx6 before the sole becomes a little too slippy almost double your price but lasting more than twice as long and more comfortable than a comfy thing and to be honest if you had them resoled they'd probably give another's few years

http://www.brixworkwear.co.uk/brand/haix/work-boots/haix-airpower-xr3-new-gore-tex-waterproof-metal-free-safety-toe-cap-work-boot.html

I'd never use anything else whilst these are available waterproof in winter yet somehow cool enough in summer like magic boots

8. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

My gran always said spend money on your bed and your shoes if you're not in one you're in the other

jcombs and Bwana1 like this.
  9. Carcass

Carcass Loaded Pockets

Keen Pittsburgh or Keen Utility Boots

Bwana1 likes this.
  10. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

For that money you should be able to pick up some altbergs on eBay second hand. Bombproof boots, I get them issued, with toe caps in. My last pair are over 3 years old and policy up like new. I only Requested a new pair recently because I wore the heel out due to the way I walk - no fault of the boot.

Failing that, or if you want new, I had a pair of Trojan brand boots for about £60. There are all sorts of workwear suppliers here - screw fix etc, and I got mine from one called Arco. To be honest, 2 years for a 'work' safety boot seems the norm now. I used to get through a pair of riggers every year-18 months, decent ones too like scruffy or JCB.

Avoid dewalt boots at all costs. I had some, fell to pieces after 6 weeks. The replacements did the same, and every pair the other lads had (many different styles) did too.

11. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

What are you going to use the boots for?

12. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

Clark's on the low end. Thorogood on the high end

Jake

13. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I've got a pair of dickies dealer boots (the cheaper ones!) and they're not bad for £30, and are smart enough with a bit of polish. They've only had light use. My main "in 'em all day" boots are Rockfall Marble - they're a bit big for the size so bear that mind but really comfy. The rest of the range seem well thought out for the money.

14. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Thorogood makes a really nice boot, their USA made boots are on par with almost any maker.