1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Microstream USB Flashlight review YOUTUBE

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Spartan857, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Spartan857

Spartan857 Loaded Pockets

2. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

hu, what are the runtimes? I read ca. 25 minutes high.. 3 hours so called "low" at 50 lumens.. come on, this is ridiculous. It is not even small, has no good emitter, no good color accuracy and cannot even tailstand.

Microstream is a bit like LED Lenser or Maglight. They made a good product once, but the industry moved far far ahead..

While I like the orginal version for it's simplicity, there are dozens of lights that do a better job than this nowadays.

3. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Yep...too big (almost 4 inches for a 1xAAA), won't tail stand, and needs a 3rd actual low setting. 250 lumen "high" for a light this size is not realistic for lack of adequate size to dissipate the heat. 50 lumens is not a "low" setting. Old school 2D cell incandescent lights put out ~ 25 lumens and were considered bright for their time.

4. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

The Wuben e05 mops the floor with this one. Has 4 modes and actual low modes that help conserve battery, is brighter on high, has shortcuts, a magnet, can tailstand, two way clip, battery indicator.. It is a 14500 light, but not longer and pretty thin.

I could put a USB rechargeable 14500 in a Thrunite T10 and have light that is same length or shorter and has better modes and UI. Hell, it even is brighter for longer with normal eneloops in it.

For the length it has, I rather take a 2xAAA penlight like the Ti4 or nitecore mt06md or Lumintop IYP 365. All give similar or more output, but longer and are more versatile with a real low mode.

Also The Reylight 1xAAA is miles ahead in terms of tint. And if you want AAA/10440 and USB charging, the Ultratac K18 is also superior. But you could just put a USB rechargeable 10440 battery in all kinds of AAA lights that support Li-Ion. Lumintop Tool for example. And all these give you more independence because you can use normal NiMh rechargeables or Alkalines as well.

There's no reason to buy the USB Microstream in 2019, really. The normal AAA one still has a point, just because it is really simple one mode on/off and has momentary on. But even then I could buy a BLF348 and have great emitter and a really thin and small light for half the money and also could throw in a 10440 if I wanted..

The Microstream USB does not even hold enough power to run even half a night through on the "low" mode. That absolutely makes no sense.

Last edited by flux, Feb 1, 2019
    #4 flux, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019