1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Micro sized fixed blade?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by P185Renegade, Apr 7, 2014.

1. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

You didn't specify your intended use/setting, but generally speaking, I agree with MJ (that's not to say I don't have some of the fine knives others mentioned above; mostly for various kits).

One of my favorite and most-used small fixed-blades is the A.G. Russell Woodswalker. Not "beefy" by any stretch, but useful. 6" OAL. 2.375" blade. Light. Choice of Kydex or leather pocket-pouch sheath. <$30. And for me, one of its best features for a small fixed-blade, the handle is generous enough that it makes the knife useable. Went with Kydex; didn't care for the "flap" on pocket sheath (many folks slice off the flap).

Good value for the $$$.

2014-04-08_093729.jpg

2. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Fred Perrin La Griffe

Böker Plus Rhino Calf

Böker Plus Mega Mini

ATB,
    Sam

3. cubegleamer

cubegleamer Loaded Pockets

This one is about 6.5"

[​IMG]

4. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

Timberghost Custom Kiridashi, he's now making them in drop points too. 4" overall:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Idox, swany66675, warchild and 4 others like this.
  5. Andrew81vr

Andrew81vr Loaded Pockets

6. Liberteer

Liberteer Loaded Pockets

Candiru. best small fixed blade you can get. and decently priced too

ManVsLawn and vegassprky like this.
  7. mister_fox

mister_fox Loaded Pockets

Boker magnum Lil Friend, 3-3/8" overall length. Still useable despite its tiny size and mine was only £15.

8. TDS

TDS Loaded Pockets

Please tell me more about this! What is the name of this pretty little thing?

9. P185Renegade

P185Renegade Loaded Pockets

I have a candiru and love it. I'm kinda thinking my next small fixie will be a bark river mikro Canadian 2. Anyone have experience with these? Or a bark river epk?

ManVsLawn likes this.
  10. captain howdy

captain howdy Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    PSK. 5-3/16"

WichitaJLJ and vegassprky like this.
  11. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

Boker Lil Friend

edjo69 and vegassprky like this.
  12. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

Not sure of your intended use but MTech imports three that are under 4". Model numbers are 2030, 2031 and 2032. 440 stainless blackened stonewashed @ 3/16" thick. I have a 2031 that I'm using in a mint tin kit. I would not pay over $10.00 excluding shipping. Others that I have played with are the tool logic survival card and companion card, case are too large to fit inside a mint tin but could be attached to the lid. I used a Velcro strap. @$25.00. Moving up in size, aside from the ones already listed, Karbar makes the Remora, 5". Cold Steel, Marbles and Mossburg have Bird and Trout models that would be easy to cut down. All roughly 6" in length. I have also have a number of custom knifes made, new makers especially might be willing to make something to your specifications. While I have not played with any of these, you might also look at BenchMark 027 skinner and 28 daggers, Boker Martin K-bit, Toucan, Perrin Le Shark, Le Heron, Le Kiridashi, ESEE Arrowhead, Mantis Wicked, Privateer, TOPS Turley, TPALRT01, Thumb Nail, and Victorixox Swisscard. Go up to 5" and there are too many to list.

vegassprky likes this.
  13. cubegleamer

cubegleamer Loaded Pockets

Thanks, I call this the "Wee Cleave".​
    1095 High Carbon Steel
    American oak scales with vulcanized red fiber liners
    Brass hardware & lanyard tube
    Blade 3 7/8”
    Handle 3”
    Comes with a custom leather pocket sheath
    Once I get the next batch ready I'm going to contact Jon about selling them here on the EDCF Craftsman Forum.

trey, vegassprky and TDS like this.
  14. Indygunguy

Indygunguy Empty Pockets

I have a CRKT S.P.E.W. that gets a lot of use as a neck knife. The blade is thin, the tip is crazy sharp, and I think I got mine delivered to the house for less than $40, if I recall correctly. You might take a look at those.

15. P185Renegade

P185Renegade Loaded Pockets

I went with a bark river mikro Canadian II. I'm pretty excited for it to get here.

16. satanic_vvaves

satanic_vvaves Loaded Pockets

My Boker Plus Gnome with olive wood handle. Sheath is terrible, but the knife is amazing. I recommend the micarta Gnome, because it comes with a kydex sheath which has a much more snug fit. Wish I would have had the wits to buy that version instead.
    [​IMG]

Here Comes The BOOM likes this.
  17. Rod Freeman

Rod Freeman Loaded Pockets

Cold Steel Hide Out. Great little SD knife.

18. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

survivorman Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

“Knicks and dull edges are abominations, so use knives and hatchets for nothing but they were made for.” – Horace Kephart, 1917

Here Comes The BOOM and Idox like this.
  19. Bob the Dog

Bob the Dog Loaded Pockets

That's a really pretty little knife.

20. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

The Buck Hartsook is a great little knife.

I've had a long love of very small pocket fixed blades that I call 'unfolding pocket knives'. They may seem useless at first glance, but when you use one day to day, the light bulb goes on over your head. A small fixed blade with a 1/3/4 to 2 inch blade can open packages, cut food, break down cardboard boxes, cut twine or rope, and many other jobs that a large knife can. When you think about blade length, keep in mind the hardest working knives in the world are the sliding blade utility knives on construction sites on every continent. Here they are made by Stanley, mostly. Blade length all of one inch. Just one single inch, yet they cut open sacks of cement mix, cut tar paper, strip cable, and cut sheet rock.

I used a Buck Hartsook for a year, and loved it. The whole thing, knife and sheath all fit easy in my right front pocket. The lanyard to the sheath was attached to the belt loop right in front of the pocket, so when I grabbed the knife and pulled, it came out of the pocket and separated from the sheath with the sheath dangling just outside the pocket. No opening the knife at all. To put away, just shove back into the sheath until it clicked and shove the whole thing back in the pocket. Ultra convenient.

The other huge advantage of the pocket fixed blade is, nothing to cleanup in hidden areas. Just wipe off well and you're good to go.

So, advantages of nothing to clean much, no lock to fail, no need to open, and being lighter weight to boot, there isno downside to the pocket fixed blade. Exept if you live in the state of The Peoples Republik Of Maryland, where you can't carry ANY fixed blade knife concealed. Ends up a cop pointed out that my tiny Buck Hartsook was illegal, yet my Opinel number 12 with a 5 inch blade was not. As long as the state allowed for concealed fixed blade,I'd carry a small pocket fixed blade over any folder.

vegassprky and Hangman like this.