1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Micro (Shirt Pocket) Loose-Leaf Binder?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by reppans, Jan 28, 2016.

1. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

OK, this is going to be a tough one.

I was cleaning out our basement and found my old 5-ring, loose leaf, micro organizer/planner that I used to use before the era of handheld digital devices. I now use a smartphone for stuff like calendars and contact lists, but I'm pretty sure I want go back to paper for TODO lists and NOTE taking, where digital (even hand written stylus) is not cutting it for me.

I absolutely love the size of this thing - it disappears in any shirt pocket and the loose leaf binder allows me move, sort, and file notes very effectively. The company (Knoxbrain) is still in Japan, but they don't seem to making anything this small anymore, and I can't read their website anyways (except dimensions and smallest I saw was 140x95mm, which is 5.5x3.75 inches, where my sample is ~4.5x3").

So I was wondering if you guys know of anyone else that might make a similar size product? I suppose I can use this one, but it's getting beat up, and I'll soon have to start cutting my own paper. I'd rather make the investment into another if possible.

Must haves are shirt pocket size (I think 5x3.5" exterior might be max), and a ringed binder for moving/swapping pages. Budget is flexible - I don't mind (and prefer) paying up for quality.

[​IMG]

Nick4305 and jag-engr like this.
  2. Pima Pants

Pima Pants Loaded Pockets

Will this work? Moleskin Volant notebook 2.5" by 4". Can't link but it's on the site named for a big river.

reppans likes this.
  3. GaryRanson

GaryRanson Empty Pockets

Check out the Daytimer Jotter size.

reppans likes this.
  4. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys, appreciate the suggestions.

Unless I'm missing something, the Moleskin Volant is not a loose-leaf ring binder? Can't freely move pages around/carry them forward?

The Daytimer is a possibility - their smallest loose-leaf paper appears to be 2.75x5", although the only binder/cover made for it looks like a largish full-zip around? It's a viable option, but I doubt it would fit in a shirt pocket.

Anyone aware of any smaller loose-leaf binder options?

AK Adventurer likes this.
  5. Chaz

Chaz Loaded Pockets

I've been looking for the same thing for three years now. All I can find are the crappy vinyl ones.

AK Adventurer and reppans like this.
  6. Chaz

Chaz Loaded Pockets

There is a Filofax with five rings, not six, but they are hard to find. Don't recall the model, it is not the pocket size (that has six).

reppans likes this.
  7. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

One of the pocket-sized Filofax notebooks on a popular retail site shows five rings.

reppans likes this.
  8. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Yeah, batteur said it's the Guildford Mini Extra Slim in the "show your notebook" thread. Pics of look right on. Can't find it available though :(.

Hint of where please :).

9. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

The Guildford Mini Extra Slim is discontinued. I looked around a while and got mine from a private seller from eBay because I didn’t find it anywhere else. Data about it is available in the filowiki.

reppans likes this.
  10. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Can you still buy paper for it? That's one of the things using these now unsupported sizes. I do have a hole punch and reasonable supply of lined paper, but I'll have to cut my own paper if sticking with it long term.

11. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Cutting our own paper isn't too bad if you invest in a guillotine-style paper trimmer (that's really what they're called). However, a decent quality one will set you back $40-$70.

reppans and Nick4305 like this.
  12. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

Mini format paper is available as there are other mini format Filofaxes. At least last time I looked. The Guildford Mini Extra Slim is compatible to all mini format stuff. The special thing about it is that other models are much thicker so they don't fit as good in a front pocket.

reppans likes this.
  13. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Ahh I see, they do still offer Mini paper, but there's just no Mini organizers offered anymore. Might keep an eye on eBay for a used one.

I do have a cheap wheely-type cutting board that will serve my purposes... think I'll stick with that, my hole puncher, and Knoxbrain for the time being.

Thank you everyone for your input.

14. JN

JN Loaded Pockets

reppans likes this.