1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Micro LM's: I've come to the conclusion

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Gogogordy, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Ippon
    • +1 Supporter

Ippon Loaded Pockets

@theotherguy I have similar feelings about the Fit and Finish of the Leathermans. If I pay 80 dollars for a LM wave, I know it's a multi tool, but I have found many many many have really bad blade play in both blades. things like that. Still tough as nails. Still love them. Still carry them, especially the ones where I am able to fix the F&F problems I find myself. I just don't want to have to do that.

thatotherguy likes this.
  2. Day Tripper

Day Tripper Loaded Pockets

I've owned and carried just about every LM available, and for me, my 84mm SAK small tinker always got more actual use and pocket time than the micra or squirt, even though the SAK didn't have pliers or scissors. I found that the tasks that I really needed pliers for, were just too much for the pliers on the squirt, and the tasks that I really needed scissors for, could typically be accomplished with a sharp knife.

The LM juice series is a joke IMO. They always felt like toys to me, and not nearly as robust as say an SAK Super Tinker. The knife and scissors are basically useless, and the rest of the drivers and tools (except the phillips driver) just do not feel as solid as the larger LM offerings. The LM rebar is much better than the LM juice line...about the same size, about the same weight, seems like a real tool, but lacks the scissors.

My favorite LM tool is the wave, but even it has limitations...mainly it is too heavy for EDC. I would much prefer the replaceable wire cutters and 3D phillips driver that is on the rebar to the bit driver and "one and done" wire cutters on the wave. If LM could take the best aspects of the wave, wingman, and rebar and put them together, then I think they may be on to something big. Imagine a MT the size and weight of the rebar, with spring-loaded pliers, replaceable wire cutters, scissors, a 3D phillips driver (with LM adapter and bit kit), and one hand opening blades on the outside!

3. Radioactive_Man

Radioactive_Man Loaded Pockets

That would be awesome. I think a 5oz surge mini would be pretty much perfect. Just drop the file and extra blade.

4. sbillard

sbillard Loaded Pockets

Here is mine :

[​IMG]

5. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

@Day Tripper: My experience with the Squirt PS4 has been similar to yours, but the Micra has been great. It has been in my 5th pocket almost every day since I got it 20 years ago and has performed all manner of tasks, including trimming my mustache at the gym, something hard to do with any knife blade, no matter how sharp. But it also has the sturdiest implements of any keychain tool I know of, and sometimes I like to use it for tasks usually done with dedicated tools, just for fun. For example, that's what I use to install and remove our window air conditioners every year, saving me the long 15 foot trudge to the toolbox :D . Over decades I have probably used the Micra more often than any other multi-tool I have owned.

Also, I'm good with the Juice S2. Apart from the stubby screwdrivers, it works well enough for most small chores in the day to day, I find, and although the scissors are not the equal to those on the Vics, they cut well enough. I've found it to be a very usable package when going light, especially because it has actually usable pliers. The combo tool looks more flimsy than its SAK counterparts, but I have used it many times for bottles and cans, and it does the job on both. I have heard that current versions may be more problematic than my 2010 S2, so maybe that was your experience, but mine is a tough little thing for a sub-84 mm tool.

On the subject of 84mm pocket knives, though, that size Tinker is THE BEST " general purpose SAK of them all. If all I could have is 3 pocket tools*, they would be small Tinker, OH Trekker and Micra.** With those and a credit card, what more would I need? :dance:

*One only is not possible. I don't think I could deal with fewer than that :nah_disagree: .

**Oh yeah, and a Rebar for the pliers, and another.......

6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Nice looking watch. Did you intend to post it here with multitools though?

Moshe ben David

7. 9x19

9x19 Loaded Pockets

Well... It could probably be used as a strap wrench in a McGuyver moment of need. :D

Moshe ben David and Gogogordy like this.
  8. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

Or maybe it's posted as a "time to buy a small SAK" tool?
    :^)

9. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Interesting thread. Over the years I have accumulated a LM original PST, Micra, Super Tinker, Tinker, Cadet and Classic SD.

I used to own a Style CS but didn't like it and sold it.

At the present time I have the Classic SD (keychain), Cadet (pocket) and Zootility Pocket Monkey (wallet) on my person and the Micra is in my EDC bag.

I find myself using the pocket monkey pretty much every day for the letter opener function. During the wintertime it is used to scrape ice off the windshield.

During the weekends I like the combination of the Classic SD on the keys and the PST on my belt. 20 different tools with no overlap.

10. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Owned the Juice C2 but hated it.
    Style PS on my keychain and yet to use it. I thought having scissors would come in handy but never use it.
    Skeletool - was my primary EDC for 2 years till I recently upgraded to Charge. However with that said I am still using it depending on the cicumstances and what I am wearing. For instance for the most part I practically live in Adidas pants and UA Hoodies. So when I go out wherever I will grab the Skeletool for it's light enough that it doesn't pull my pants down unlike the Charge. Also, I am known to grab my SAK Trekker but that has some weight to it so it can be in the front pocket of my hoodie or don't even bother with it.

11. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

Well, the Juice CS4 has become my favorite LM of the 5 I have despite the assisted corkscrew being less effective than any SAK corkscrew Ive used.

In order of preference (favorite to least)
    1st) Juice CS4. 2nd) Wingman (sprung pliers! Hell yes) 3rd) Rebar 4th) Squirt PS4 5th) Micra

At this point I think I'm all Leathermanned - out.

12. znapschatz

The trick to using the CS4 corkscrew is to forget about the assist, which is both worthless and could chip the bottle lip. The Single arm has to be balanced just right, so to hell with it. If you can't pull up the cork with brute strength, just screw down further and lever the body of the CS4 against the bottle lip to break adhesion, then pull. I find that it is equal to a SAK when used that way. For the last 20 years, a Micra has always been in my 5th pocket to supply scissors and supplementary tools for my other Leathermen. I think it’s the only keychainer they make that they got right from the git-go, except that bare naked, it keeps trying to eat its way out through the cloth. I finesse that with the leather slip they used to make for it. But you know, ymmv.

13. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

Will try that.
    Another bottle to open....in the name of research of course.

14. The Sixth Beatle

The Sixth Beatle Loaded Pockets

If you're not man enough to open a bottle of wine without assistance, then maybe you should stick to soft drinks :D

15. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

LOL. I use the awl on my SAK to pierce the straw hole on my juice boxes. Works perfectly!

Moshe ben David likes this.
  16. znapschatz

I take my wisdom from Detective Sergeant Harry Callihan: “A man’s got to know his limitations.” If it’s good enough for “Dirty Harry,” it’s gospel to me. :p