1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Micro EDC Kit - 1st Attempt

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by Bloodstriker, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Bloodstriker

Bloodstriker Loaded Pockets

Over the past few years, I've collected a small collection of keychain tools. I used to have an EDC rotation on my keychain, but it got too cumbersome.

I toyed with the idea of creating a micro EDC kit to carry these items in my bag or car or jacket pocket. I originally started with an Altoids tin, but decided that I wanted something a little more dedicated.

I went on eBay and purchased a small earphone case for a few dollars and here are the results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will try to list of the items the best I can. I welcome any suggestions for critiques.

The harder to tell items in here:

A few meters of fishing line
    Small zip loc bag (not pictured)

shmook, mole, WillAdams and 12 others like this.
  2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Great idea. I have something similar that I use to carry spare batteries.

3. Millertime1974
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Millertime1974 Loaded Pockets

Love the kit!

Maybe a pill holder of some sort for those emergency headaches or if you have other medicines? Also, maybe add in one of those pre-packed alcohol pads to help clean the cuts before the bandaids?

Thanks for the idea to put some back-up cash! I didn't think about that!

Treya likes this.
  4. trfkcop

trfkcop Loaded Pockets

5. newnan3

newnan3 Loaded Pockets

IMHO, I think you could get rid of the tape measure to save some space. You could use pre-measured paracord or the seamstress type measuring tape if you really think you might need measurements.

Treya and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  6. Bloodstriker

Actually that's a great idea. I just thought a mini tape measure was so cool. But I guess a fabric measure would make way more sense.

7. DIlan

DIlan Loaded Pockets

No need to get rid off measuring tape I have one small just like yours and it's actually very handy. I'm thinking of making something like this since my keychain is getting bulkier...

8. Bloodstriker

I've just ordered a small signal mirror and credit card sized magnifying glass. I'll try to fit them in to the kit once I get them.

DIlan likes this.
  9. The Sixth Beatle

The Sixth Beatle Loaded Pockets

wrap a bit of gaffer tape (duck ? duct?) around the lighter.

10. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Nice kit!

A few possibilities, all down to personal preference. YMMV.
    • Maybe consider swapping out the string for Atwood microcord or Gearward CSC. More compact and stronger.
    • You might be able to save a smidgen of space by swapping out the USB key for a Transcend JetFlash 710S (or similar).
    • Some won't like this but I'd lose the fire starter because the chances of using it are (IMO) low. I'd swap the Bic for a TorJet windproof (or similar).
    • I'd second the duct tape and the sewing tape measure
    • Maybe a couple of aspirin (cardiac arrest)

11. newnan3

newnan3 Loaded Pockets

Along the lines of the signal mirror, a whistle could be useful.

mzil, _mg_, Rich73 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Bloodstriker

Agreed. I will be picking up a pack of 5 flat plastic emergency whistles this week.

13. Treya

Treya Loaded Pockets

Maybe clip the safety pins in the inside webbing so they are easily accessible and you don't have to pull out all of the bigger stuf when you need them.

Whatever cordage you decide on perhaps coil it in a long section rather than a wide section if that makes sense. Have a look at MeZillch's parafob on youtube for ideas. He also has some really great mini EDC kits. I believe he is also on this forum mzil

A smaller key ring through the zipper pull of the pouch can also help unzip it easier and they come in handy in a pinch, used them a few times for quick repairs.

I saw someone on the forum make a really basic EDC elastic holster, wish I could find the thread again. From memory they got a length of sewing elastic similar to what you see in the 'grid it' and folded in in half, sewed it in several sections to make loops to slide things into. That way you could take all of the bulkier things out in one go and put them back easily (in theory). Though it might bulk things up too much.

Some youtube videos you might like to watch:
    Griffin Pouch
    Be a micro-EDC Superstar!
    Mini Gear repair kit in an earbud case (this channel has a short series on different kits in earbud cases)
    Urban Altoids EDC kit (Version 3.0) TUP often uses a smaller tin with a sliding top in his altoids kits which you might like

Other threads: Wallet Organizer
    Unagi's EDC and nothing more

Hope that helps.

14. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

^Thanks for the mention, Treya.

This kit looks great, Bloodstriker. Top notch. The zippered earphone case makes for quick, easy access and reminds me of one of the big "pocket organizers" but yours is of course nice and tiny.

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.