1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Micra scissors question

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by bryan123, Aug 19, 2016.

1. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Hi, I have a 1996 vintage Micra. I'm concerned that the scissors might need sharpening. I tried the tin foil cutting method for sharpening already.

My micra scissors are great on paper and cardboard but they won't cleanly cut duct tape. My smaller SAK Classic scissors however will cut duct tape with no problem.

Asking if anyone out there with a Micra of their own will try it on duct tape and report back.

Thanks

sungame likes this.
  2. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

oops duplicate. Moderators please delete

3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I almost never cut duct tape. Usually just rip it off the roll. On the rare occasion when I need the clean edge at the cut, I'll stick the torn edge down to a piece of scrap and cut through with a knife -- preferably a utility knife.

Moshe ben David

313 and Hi-up Lineman like this.
  4. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

What he said, except if you don't have a utility knife handy, the Micra blade will do well enough.

5. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

Most likely the scissors on your micra are sharp enough it's just that any kind of cutting of duct tape is sorta hard. Between the thickness of it versus the small size of the micra and the binding effects of the glue between the scissor blades it's just hard to cut.

sungame likes this.
  6. 313

313 Uber Prepared

+1

Usually just rip. But on the occasions when I find that I can't rip it, scissors are usually nowhere near or I can't get to them one-handed. A knife is usually easier to reach and deploy.

Well, not really so on the Micra.

7. Rebel

Rebel Loaded Pockets

Everybody knows the scissors on the Micra are designed for (and _only_ for) fingernails.

Please do not use them for any purpose for which they were not designed ;)

8. FK

FK Loaded Pockets

I have sharpened SAK and Leatherman scissors many times.
    Lite pressure on a DMT diamond hone will quickly restore the cutting efficiency.
    The blade edge angle is about 12-15 degrees and finish to debur with the flat surfaces on extra fine stone.

Never understood how the commonly recommended cutting of sheet metal (aluminum) or sandpaper would do anything but dull the edges.
    It may clean the dirt and adhesive from the cutting surfaces however, this method will not sharpen the cutting edges.

Regards,
    FK

Gogogordy likes this.