1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mexico Summer 2018 EDC and Kit Ideas

Discussion in 'Travel' started by fshram76, Apr 25, 2018.

1. fshram76

fshram76 Loaded Pockets

Hi Folks,

I am going to the Riviera Maya area this June and want to know what items you think I should bring and what I can get away with bringing on a plane and through customs.

Thanks!

Fred

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

If nothing else bring antidotes for upset stomach, reactions to water and food, etc. I'm NOT at all suggesting anything inherent about lack of sanitation... (seriously, didya think I was....?). Just whenever traveling to a new locale it is a smart thing to do. ;)

If you're checking in luggage at the least I'd have some kind of pocket knife even if a SAK. Always helpful if you're shopping open air markets for fruit etc... A shoulder bag can't hurt either. With a personal FAK for boo-boos and minor mishaps. With a light. And the usual stuff for when you're in an area with intense sunshine (skin care, brimmed hat, sunglasses, etc.). Wet wipes both for hands and other areas.

And keep your wits about you! ;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

3. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

American cash for bribes and kickbacks. I wish I was kidding, but I’m not. Growing up in SoCal we spent lots of time surfing in Mexico and I can’t recall one time we didn’t have to resort to it. Don’t get me wrong, Mexico is a beautiful country and the culture is amazing. But I always said I’d rather go to Iraq than Mexico. I went to Iraq twice and I haven’t been to Mexico in over 20years.

But as Moshe Ben David said, a good SAK and FAK would be extremely helpful.

4. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Immodium which I have had to give to my son on trips to Mexico, UK and Germany.

5. Onepoint

Onepoint Loaded Pockets

I don't know what you consider EDC so I'll recommend standard categories and you can add, scale, subtract

Every Day Carry Kit Categories with suggestions

1. Organizational Kit — Notebook(s), pencils, pens, small stationery pack with clips, rubber bands, lead, eraser, Sharpie, Highlighter, etc.

2. Snacks & Water Kit — Protein Bars, Bottles of Water, Stainless Steel Vacuum Bottles for hot and cold, etc. (place in check luggage or make sure they’re empty before the gate.)

3. Travel First Aid & Med Kit — See https://www.amazon.com/100-Piece-Lightweight-Safety-Backpacking-Supplies/dp/B019B0QA2G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524860253&sr=8-1&keywords=Run2win+first+aid+kit for shoulder bag / backpack and larger one for Checked Luggage.
    Also extra Aspirin, Advil. Antacid. Anti-diarrheal.
    Personal meds & supplies & devices.
    Area specific like others have recommended e.g. Extra Anti-diarrheal
    Contraceptives if appropriate.

4. Grooming Kit — comb, gum, mints, dental care items, etc. Sewing kits. Smaller version for shoulder bag / backpack, carry-on, and larger for checked luggage in addition to toiletry Kit.

5. Toolkit — Recommend always using check baggage. Lighter, Safety whistle, Flashlight(s), Swiss Army Deluxe Tinker or Leatherman Juice CS4 for pocket carry once there, plus good quality small (< 3”) Folding Knife, Leatherman Rebar or Leatherman Wave or or Victorinox Swisstool, Leatherman Piranah or a pocket wrench, Duct Tape, Paracord, lamp wire

6. Mobile Electronics Kit — Wall Charger(s), Cables, 10,000mAh+ battery

7. Storage Kit — Folding duffle or nylon shopping bag.

8. Miscellaneous — a Travel Umbrella, and / or lightweight poncho.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  6. Onepoint

Onepoint Loaded Pockets

Yes. Put extra cash (at least $250) or travelers check and back up credit card into your Organizational Kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Onepoint

Onepoint Loaded Pockets

Can’t emphasize enough to use checked luggage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David likes this.
  8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I want to reinforce @Onepoint re checked luggage. One obvious reason is so that you can bring some edc items (e.g., sharps!) that you'll never get onboard a plane with!

For those who say that it is a hassle to check luggage so they'll just buy something when they arrive. All well and good. But. Ahem! Too many folks simply do not realize that more and more aircraft simply do not have either overhead nor under seat space adequate for carry on. What happens then? When you file through the 'jetway' or walk to the stairs for the plane, you are informed the plane has no space. You are forced to hand over your carry on. You are given a 'claim ticket'. Upon arrival, it can and often is a free-for-all as passengers try to grab their bags at plane side.

Problem is many bags look the same. I've seen it happen -- and had it happen to me -- that someone grabs the wrong bag and disappears into the terminal. I've even seen it NOT be an 'honest mistake'! The problem is, with this approach, the airline has ZERO liability for your baggage and its contents. They have ZERO traceability. Basically, if your bag is taken by someone else -- you are up the creek without the proverbial paddle!

This isn't worth it. Even if the monetary value is small, the hassle factor can be huge. Bad enough if you're within the US. Far far worse if you are outside the US. Potentially magnified if for example all your meds are in the bag... plus your various ID stuff. Etc etc etc.

I hope I've made a point here!

L'chaim and Happy Trails!

Moshe ben David

fshram76, FLbeachbum and Onepoint like this.
  9. Onepoint

Onepoint Loaded Pockets

While travel luggage and how to consider it is a digression from the original question but I’ll go into it to show one type of EDC thinking. IMO EDC thinking is situational, subjective, relative and scalable. There are certainly areas, categories, of situations.

Waiting for your luggage to show up is a hassle. Theft is a worse hassle. The important aspect is to avoid losing your stuff.

I pretty much cover the look-alike aspect by using colored luggage straps. The straps serve the main purpose of compressing the contents but also making it a more recognizable. Unless you really need to look professional get something a little different. Heavy Duty Colored Duct Tape helps as well. I’ve used both, sometimes at the same time. I’ve put the tape on as an initial. An alternative is using tape on the handles. Just nothing dangling. The more creative the better.

For the really organized EDCer, I recommend inventorying all your bags’s (checked, carryon & underseat) contents and taking pictures.

Travel insurance is always a good idea especially combined with your inventory and photos.

While I’ve seen overhead space running out I’ve never seen under seat space run out. I’d still chance putting my laptop and camera in my under seat bag. I usually a backpack, but there’re some great under seat bags out there. Check the airline for exact specs. The under seat space is usually well within the range of 17” x 10” x 8”, but the actual specs vary quite a bit (usually giving more not less room). Space also varies depending on window, middle and aisle seat so you might want to go low end and not over fill this bag unless you’re very familiar with the actual airplanes you’ll be flying on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fshram76 and Moshe ben David like this.
  10. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Learn to run, fast.
    Invest your time in a viable self-defense skillset
    Practice escaping bindings especially duct tape.
    Pickup conversational Spanish
    Perform area studies until your eyes bleed.
    Medical kit
    International credit card
    Cash American and Mexican
    Color copy of passport
    Verify your life insurance will pay if you died there
    Power bank and cables
    Batteries
    Flashlight and pen that can be used defensively

fshram76 and Moshe ben David like this.
  11. fshram76

fshram76 Loaded Pockets

Thank you, for the ideas. I will probably make a mini kit and have that hidden on me at all times even at the pool. I am not planning on leaving the resort but want to be covered for anything.

Any ideas on a small pouch, case, etc. that I should look at that I could hide in my clothes somewhere?

12. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

Get good insurance. Something that covers you for theft, lost articles, cancellation, medical and legal expenses at least. If you're planning on doing certain activities, check if they're covered because for some you'll need to get additional insurance. Also if they offer an add-on that covers your excess, it's usually worth it IMO. I recently paid £2 to cover a £250 excess.

fshram76 likes this.
  13. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I go to Mexico a few times a year. All tourist destinations are as safe as Vegas. Don't buy designer stuff off the street because it's fake and the people are shady. That is the same as anywhere on the planet.

There is a lot of Mexico hate in the last few years but the majority off it stems from rhetoric and no personal experience.

Carry the same stuff you always do and it your trying to "get away" with something. Good luck.

14. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Depends on what you're putting in the mini kit.