1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Methods of Attaching stuff to your keychain

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by Jakerock, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Jakerock

Jakerock Loaded Pockets

The small split rings that come attached to flashlights, pill fobs, and knives scare me.
    I have never had one that came on a SAK fail, but pretty much any other item that came with one has pulled apart and let the item of the keychain.

Any place to get "really strong" small split rings, or other clever ways to attach keychain items securely?

Pardon the probably common question, but I searched around and didnt find anything useful.
    Thanks for your time, Jake

2. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Go to you local Walmart or fishing / sporting goods store and pick up some split rings from the fishing department. They are mad to hold under load and should be plenty strong enough. Look for ones that are almost a full double loop. You may also want to pick up a pair of split ring pliers while you're at it - fishing swivels tend to be small and stiff, making them hard to open.

Many items do come with cheap wire split rings with a short overlap. They are much easier to take on and off, but they are not nearly as strong or secure.

Alternately, you could consider items specifically design for keychain carry with a dedicated loop or clip to attach them directly to a larger split ring.

herosemblem, ac7ss and boyo17 like this.
  3. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

,,,,,,,and ,,,,,,,,,,,,, don't expect a ring to open very widely ,,,,,, they do bend if you force them

4. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Yes, had lots of tiny rings which are nice and compact, be really don't like being opened multiple times :(

5. Jakerock

Jakerock Loaded Pockets

:censored:... Swear that I have replied with thanks twice so far.
    Dont know what happened, but thanks to all!
    I got some splits at the fishing store and they are tough and have worked like a charm so far.
    I can confirm that they deform quickly if you have to wrestle with them to get them on, but they certainly seem like they are a lot more worthy of my trust than the cheap wire ones that came on my AAA flashlights and SAK's.

I appreciate the help!

ac7ss likes this.
  6. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

7. Jakerock

Jakerock Loaded Pockets

Those are definitely cool...
    I was needing something that would make it thru the tiny hole on my SAK and small flashlight to tie a lanyard or attach to other stuff
    [​IMG]