1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

method of carry feedback

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by ghom, May 20, 2008.

1. ghom

ghom Empty Pockets

I use a maxpedition Last Resort for my every day work bag and it works great for my use--I work out of my car a lot. The place the Last Resort doesn't work great is those once in a while times when I need to strap the bag to me and move on foot a lot. So I'm thinking use the Last Resort as a car bag and then have a 2nd bag to transfer stuff to when I'll be on foot. My question is what everyone's experiences are with methods of carry. I'm looking at either a:

1. Remora (bag across my chest/stomach)

2. Sabercat/Proteus for low back carry (I'm unsure as of now what size to get, proteus or sabercat)

Can everyone comment on experiences with these two types of carry and negatives/positives and personal observations that you've gained?

thanks much :)

2. Exmasonite

Exmasonite Loaded Pockets

well, i guess it really depends on what/how much you carry.

I have the malaga, which is the big brother to the remora/lunada. Just depends on how much you're carrying. i love the malaga, haven't tried the smaller versions yet. almost think that anything smaller would be problematic.

also, there's the versipack series: Jumbo, fatboy, colossus, etc. I love my jumbo... trekked all over Ireland with one.

differences b/w the 2: Jumbo/versipack lets you have quick access to what you're carrying while moving/walking. For the malaga, i find i have to take the bag off. The malaga has a lot more pouches/molle attachments/flexibility. malaga also fits/hugs your body much nicer. good strap system for keeping bag on you while running/riding/etc. jumbo hangs much lower and not as close to your body... messes w/ the center of gravity. wouldn't want to go climbing with a jumbo on.

lastly, don't forget about the pygmy falcon II. great little backpack. blends in much better than other 2 bags (not as "tacti-cool")

3. jimspriggs500

jimspriggs500 Empty Pockets

I use a combination of the Sabercat and Proteus - I fasten them together using the SRBs and wear the Proteus on my front and the Sabercat on my back, or just the Proteus or Sabercat. It all depends on what I am doing and how much I need to carry.

I would warn against carrying too much weight in a bag that hangs across your neck. Apart from the obvious problems you may encounter with spine and neck muscle strain you will tend to walk in a circle because the weight will always be to one side and this will put pressure on your knees when you don't need any more.

Proteus/Sabercat combinations are comfortable even in very hot weather (I walked across Spain last summer). These were the only two bags I carried as I am a dedicated lightweight traveller (not backpacker, as I regularly sleep in hotels, B&:censored:, etc.). I find the compression straps are handy for a bedroll, 1 man tent, ski poles, etc.

Hope my ramblings help.

Jim.

4. Exmasonite

Exmasonite Loaded Pockets

FYI, this thread is 8 months old...