1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

metal VS. leather VS. cloth for your watch?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Mr_Dove, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Mr_Dove

Mr_Dove Empty Pockets

I'm currently in the market for a watch that I can wear everyday. I own a Hamilton Ventura that I only wear when I'm dressed up a bit. I'm curious about the pros and cons for different types of watch straps.

The leather band on my Ventura is comfortable and great. I once had a cheap watch with a plastic/rubber straps. They made my wrist sweat profusely and they were very uncomfortable.

Similarly I had a watch with metal straps many years ago that would constantly pinch my wrist hairs and pull them out. I stopped wearing that watch after about 5 minutes. Metal that I've worn in the past also seemed to slip around alot and generally be a nuisance. It never seemed to stay in place the way that my leather bands do.

So, what's the low down on the different strap types and what type do YOU prefer?

2. Smith357

Smith357 Empty Pockets

I have never personally cared for rubber straps, they make my wrist sweat and they stink like old sneakers after just a short time. I can see their practicality on a true diver or water watch.

I like bracelets or NATO straps in the hot weather as leather can get almost as slimy as the rubber with sweat, also sweat deteriorates a good cow or buffalo leather band. I have been replacing many of my old leathers with water proof sharkskin or stingray bands as they are much more resistant to the effects of perspiration. For overall comfort I really like a good leather strap. 90% of my watches are on leather.

I have found the the cheaper folded steel bracelets pull the hairs on my arm as well, but the solid link bracelets do not, I will not buy a watch with a folded bracelet anymore.

3. fshalor

fshalor Loaded Pockets

I've gone through the same process.

Leather and cloth/poly are probably the most comfortable. I wear leather on my dress watches and Zulu or Nato bands on all my work/play watches. If they're gonna get wet; I don't want to ruin leather prematurely.

If I was going to be in any environment where the watch band had some chance for contamination; i'd probably switch to stainless or titanium. (So it cold be washed down with solvent or something.) Fortunately, I only work with concentrates salt and sugar, or sea water.

Stainless bands can bite. Although the solid ones bite less than the linked ones. My dress Seiko (MM Alfie Chrono) came with a stianless bracelet with a lot of moving parts. It was pinch-city. I bought the same size stainless band in the more beefy solid style and a leather band and alternate. The

Compare:
    http://chronograph.com/store/mli_viewItem.asp?idproduct=2479
    To
    http://chronograph.com/store/mli_viewItem.asp?idproduct=145

The first style band pinches me a lot. The second, is almost as comfortable as the leather.

Second thing to note, the amount the bracelet/strap "slims down" toward the clasp makes a difference too. I really noticed this while switching back and forth between a Seiko 6309 boat anchor on a zulu strap and a small Fleiger military field watch. I notice the smaller watch more, since the band is 18mm, compared to 22mm.

I have two 20 mm s.s. bracelets, both with the more solid style link (similar to the second picture). One tapers drastically at the clasp to about 16mm, the other only tapers to about 19 or 18mm. The difference in wear between them is huge. Even thought the construction is very similar, the tapered one just "feels" like its there a lot more.

4. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

I like them all, but like anything they all have weak points and strongpoint. Here are my thoughts when selecting a band.

1. Comfort - Fabric Usually wins this one.

2. Blood born pathogens - Easy to disinfect should blood, vomit or saliva get on it (I am a LEO so it happens) Rubber or Metal wins.

3. look - Metals wins for me.

I recently found a good compromise thought, it is a neoprene band from EK usa. I put it on my work watch, a luminox watch. It is the most comforable watch band I have ever used, there is no clasp, so it feel good when typing. I has a strap the run between both pins so if one breaks, your watch will not fall off. It was only $8.99 so if it gets bloody, I can throw it out and replace it. I got it at EMS.

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442598955&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574489160663&bmUID=1216192458479

5. oranges

oranges Loaded Pockets

Metal is best in my opinion. But I sometimes prefer a more casual look. Thats when its tough. The Zulu bands are nice but they stretch when wet. And the worst part, they smell bad after a little sweat... and thats bad considering I am not a fatty or one with BO.

6. wolf54

wolf54 Empty Pockets

I've always favored the Leather/Cordura Nylon combination straps on my Victorinox Swiss Army Watches. Comfortable as hell, long lasting, and inexpensive to boot.

7. Britales

Britales Loaded Pockets

I'm addicted to these! www.cobrastrap.com. Been wearing them for the last 2 years, never take 'em off except to change up the colors!!
    !!

8. mr.hauser

mr.hauser Loaded Pockets

I've tried many types of straps and I havent yet found a favorite.

Two that I was not all that happy with are silicon divers straps, and zulu's. The silicon didnt breath, and the zulu picked up funk way too often.

Metal used to be my #1 choice, but recently I've begun to see how comfortable leather type straps are. However, I don't like how I have to avoid water with them, and I know they have to be replaced eventually.

9. Mud

Mud Loaded Pockets

Im with SALT

wearing a Metal Pro Trek Pathfinder right now.

10. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

None of those for me....it's Rubber all the way on my Seiko's and my Marathon T-SAR....feels the best to me....loves water, is quiet and soft.....

11. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

No sweating with metal
    No staining with metal
    No stink with metal

12. carlo$

carlo$ Loaded Pockets

i have gone through lots of watches.

I like metal the best. it looks better and does not sweat. the only problem i have found with metal is, when riding my mountain bike the metal bracelets vibrate like hell; after a while the vibration really hurts your wrist and could probably damage the watch. but, if you dont ride mt. bikes, then you will not have that problem.
    this is the watch i wear:

http://chronograph.com/store/mli_viewItem.asp?idproduct=2479

13. nowesca

nowesca Empty Pockets

My favorites are the resin bands on most Casio watches due to their light weight and (in my experience) reliability. Single piece and lighter than metal, won't deteriorate like leather, won't fray like cloth or nylon, and waterproof. Never had an issue with smells. I switched from metal because it's really cold in the morning (and too heavy for me to wear to sleep).

Are these the same as the previously mentioned rubber straps?