1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Metal Earth Model Kits Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by ArnieJB, Aug 6, 2014.

1. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

I just finished this very small model of the Star Wars Millennium Falcon (yes, I'm a Star Wars geek). I was wondering if anyone else has built any of these types of metal kits before? They are very intricate and require the use of needle nose pliers and lots of patience. A magnifying glass would help also. It took a few hours but was a fun process.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I recently bought a tank version while on vacation, but haven't tried putting it together yet. A few hours? wow, I may not have the patience. Looks like a very cool portable toy though.

ArnieJB likes this.
  3. BalancedEdge

BalancedEdge Loaded Pockets

I discovered these at Barnes and Nobles, and bought the cheapest one, because everything is more expensive there.
    The Wright Brothers plane, which took me a few hours as well, three, I believe. They're really fun, but fragile.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And then I searched on Amazon and found that just about every single model the company offers is on there for much cheaper than B&N's prices.
    Thus, we have Himeji Castle. Where the plane had one sheet of parts, Himeji castle had three. This one took me, I kid you not, all afternoon. I started after lunch, and finished about six or seven hours later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Completely worth it though.

4. Vader9900
    • In Omnia Paratus

Vader9900 Loaded Pockets

I need that Falcon!

ArnieJB and ManVsLawn like this.
  5. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

I still have a Star Wars Imperial Tie Fighter and also a WW2 Sherman Tank to assemble as well. I just ordered myself one of those lighted magnifying glasses on a stand (like a goose neck lamp) to make the next ones easier to see. :)

6. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

In addition to the MF and Tie fighter I saw one of R2-D2.

ArnieJB likes this.
  7. CHARLIE O

CHARLIE O Loaded Pockets

We have several, mostly the bugs. Have not attempted them yet.

ArnieJB likes this.
  8. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've seen some of the airplane and building kits, but not the Star Wars kits... Falcon, R2-D2 and AT-AT are now on the must have list.

ArnieJB likes this.
  9. alexvpaq

alexvpaq Loaded Pockets

My girlfriend works in a toy shop in town, I have like 6 or 7 of those lol Himeji castle, triumph arch, p51 mustang, 2 old boats , a tank. And 3 in a bag at the shop waiting + one ATAT waiting to be built on my desk. Lol

ArnieJB likes this.
  10. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

I love metal earth, I’ve done 11 of them, 6 which are Star Wars, and have about 7 to do.. JR

RED-FIVE likes this.
  11. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Pretty cool. Back when I was a kid I used to super detail model cars with plug wires, opening doors, fuel lines, and ect. Star wars geek also and now I have a x wing coming in the mail.

WillAdams likes this.
  12. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I was in a new Holly Hobby yesterday, and I saw those. going back soon for the Castle.

13. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

Wow these are all beautiful...! Excellent work folks.....
    I have seen these kits on Amazon---I do plastic kits....and wondered what they were like...
    thanks so much for the thread....

14. themadplumbarian

When I was young I loved doing the plastic one, I’d have the whole thing done in under an hour, my problem was the painting, I didn’t have the patients to paint each piece then glue it the next day. That’s why I love these metal ones, no paint! That and you take something 2D and make it into 3D, back in the day I used to be a sheet metal worker so it kinda works,, JR

Froley and WillAdams like this.
  15. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

Anyone do paper/card modeling---?
    I'm giving it a try although I have no idea how to do it--if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it.....
    I just ordered a 1913 Zepplin L-10---26" long card (heavy paper) model kit from Germany----
    I've got a thing for airships---like steampunker's I wished they would have worked out for air travel...?

16. jtice

jtice Loaded Pockets

17. themadplumbarian

Those metal earth are great, as far as “airships” go in that type I’ve done 4 Star Wars and 1 helicopter, but they also have old planes, war planes, space ships, other Star Wars, Star Trek enterprise, the batwing, and even your zeppelin! JR

Froley likes this.
  18. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Y'all are taking me back in time to grade school and junior high. My folks used to stock up on model kits for cars and planes (the kits made by Revell and others) at the year end clearance sales. These were 'awarded' to me for various things, e.g., report cards, etc etc.

I had quite a squadron of WWI and WWII planes frozen in mid dogfight hanging from the ceilings...!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Froley, WillAdams and ran23 like this.
  19. assassin10000

assassin10000 Loaded Pockets

I've done a handful of Star Wars ones, including the Millennium Falcon. R2-D2, AT-AT walker, Vader's tie fighter and an X-wing. I've also done a Transformers Soundwave.

Still have a few to do. Batmobile from the 1st movie, snowspeeder, star destroyer, megatron and optimus prime.

The X-wing and Soundwave have been the hardest thus far. Had to use 6 different size pin punches to 'roll' some of the shapes just right.