1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Metal detector friendly belt.

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Havoc, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Havoc

Havoc Loaded Pockets

At my new place of work I'm walking through metal detectors several times an hour so I'm try to find a new edc belt. I carry a fully loaded skinth that weighs my belt down so I prefer something nice and sturdy that won't fold. The primary factor obviously is a non-metallic buckle that doesn't gradually loosen despite the weight attached to it.

My current belt is 1 1/4 thick and 36" in length for reference of what size I'm in the ballpark of.
    Thanks for the input.

2. Barchack

Barchack Loaded Pockets

The Wilderness Frequent Flyer belt.
    The easy-fit version works well if you don't carry a pistol.

3. ChrisHunter

ChrisHunter Loaded Pockets

I have a Bison Designs "Carbonator" belt. Carbon fiber buckle makes airports a breeze.

4. socaldsal

socaldsal Loaded Pockets

5.11 and Spec Ops gear have belts that have non metallic buckles. They're plenty sturdy.

5. RockinU

RockinU Loaded Pockets

+1 on the frequent flyer belt from The Wilderness

6. RoadWizard

RoadWizard Loaded Pockets

+1 for these, have both and always use when flying. I leave shirt untucked tho, as the geniuses of TSA still make you remove belt if they see one. @Havoc, thinking your situation may not allow or be convenient for you to leave shirt out, depending on your security personnel, you may still have to remove belt, even if you use a cotton rope.

7. microbe

microbe EDC Junkie!!!!!

I complained once to security about having to take off my belt while wearing a "baggy" loose fit pants. I told them the belt was keeping up my pants and removing the belt would make my pants drop. As they insisted I'd take off the belt even with my warning, I took it off, let my pants drop to my ankles, and shuffled towards the detector in my undies. :D Hilarity ensured with the people behind me who overheard the belt conversation. The security guy then asked me to pull up my pants for decency, which I did, while joking at them that they wanted my belt of in the first place, and that I warned them my pants would drop. Funniest airport security pass ever. :p

8. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

I had jury duty. The first time through, due to the line, I just took off the belt. After lunch, with a shorter line, I tapped on the belt to show it was fiberglass and was allowed to keep it on.

+2 on the frequent flyer belt from The Wilderness

9. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I wear brass belt buckles but they make me take it off anyways at airports.

10. hawkeye180

hawkeye180 Loaded Pockets

I have a 5.11 double duty belt. It has no metal and I have worn it through many airports since September and I have had no problems.

11. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

I used the endom "Adam" belt for several years when traveling through airports. It has no metal parts. Last trip overseas they made me take my belt off anyway, in spite of my creds. :censored: so now I just edc the cobra for travel.

12. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Not exactly a heavy duty belt, but it's definitely metal detector friendly - the Specopsbrand better BDU belt.

13. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Courthouse Deputy's last week, wanted to see the back of the buckle, doubt if they care it is metal or not.

14. munkynut454

munkynut454 Loaded Pockets

Just to stick my ten penneth (or cents) in here... At Airports I support the removal of belts be they leather, fabric, chain mail or any other fabric. So much can be concealed in the waistband. I understand the pants-dropping issue but hey, if you've lost weight get some new pants (trousers). I have worked in aviation security and seen huge holes in the security and their searching routine. I have a 5.11 TDU belt which I wear with jeans/shorts but in the UK if you look like you know what to do at the search point (take all metal off, empty pockets, remove shoes and unload laptop) they assume you must be worth a pull. I got swabbed and put though the Barringer machine wearing shoes I had been shooting in 48hrs earlier... Much fun was had by all.

15. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Two different issues - one, a general security concern involving the removal of the belt for general inspection.

Two, removal of the belt because it trips the metal detector.

In scenario one, I can see the reason and don't object. For the second, not so much. Although at one point in Florida, they had me strip out of my belt, shoes, and jacket. Anything else and I would have demanded tips.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  16. stepewolf

stepewolf Loaded Pockets

I have a few 5.11 belts and wore them at airports all around the world with no problem. recently I bought a Pentagon 1.5in double face (black/coyote) which is pretty much a 5.11 copy (a very good copy by the way) for the very reasonable 12 EUR let's see how long will last;);)