1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Messenger type bag or sling bag for EDC? (MaxP vs. 511)

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by westernhaikus1, Jun 1, 2012.

1. westernhaikus1

westernhaikus1 Loaded Pockets

Hi everybody. I'm new to the forums -been reading them for a little while, but actually registered to pose this question that has been nagging me for the past few weeks.

I'm about to create an EDC system that will allow me to expand my current EDC items to be better prepared for a wider array of scenarios. I'm going to employ a bag to do this. Here are my goals for the bag:

-Store some, if not all, of current EDC items (wallet, keys, automatic knife, cell phone, compact handgun)
    -Allow capability to expand my EDC to include flashlight, multitool
    -Combine the concepts of an EDC bag and a Get Home Bag into one system, so items like maps, water filtration, emergency food and other items will also go into the bag.
    -Will carry with me every day to work into the office, as well as on weekends. There may be some situations where I will carry essentials on my person and leave the bag in the car.
    -Provide a capable CCW platform. I still prefer on-body carry, however there are numerous situations where its just not possible for me.

So here's the thing I've been struggling with - I can't decide if I should utilize a messenger style bag like the Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack's (originally what I thought I was going to use), or a larger, more backpack-esque sling style pack (leading candidate is the 5.11 MOAB 10). There are several factors that are weighing on the decision. They are:

1 - The Versipack's aren't big enough to carry my laptop. This isn't *essential*, however I carry a laptop every day with me into the office. On one hand, it just makes sense to have an EDC bag I can carry it in since I have to carry it every day anyways. But on the other....

2 - The MOAB 10 is one of the smaller sling packs, and even it would be almost getting to the point where I'm basically carrying a backpack everyday, which doesn't quite appeal to me as much. It seems large, and I was hoping to stay as unassuming and lightweight as possible.

3 - In terms of functionality, the sling style backpacks seem like they have better CCW capabilities - I'm thinking of the MOAB 10's velcro pocket versus the Versipack's zippered one.

4 - However, the MaxP and other messenger style bags have dedicated water bottle holders. I would use a water bottle on a daily basis. The sling style bags mostly only have the option to add a bottle carrier as an accessory. This doesn't appeal to me because those bottle holders greatly expand the profile of the bag because of their size, and they're expensive. I know sling packs have hydration pockets, but again, I'm not going to want to be wearing my pack to grab a drink in most everyday situations.

5 - This brings me to my next point - price. Thinking of the MOAB 10 versus the versipack, the MOAB is significantly more expensive compared to, say, the EDC edition of the Jumbo Versipack (roughly $95 versus $60). Cost is a big factor to me, but not the determining one. I also plan on buying a good deal of the gear I'm going to store in the bag, so it has its own dedicated system and I don't have to worry as much about swapping gear.

Sorry this has been kind of a thought-dump here. I've read quite a bit on both packs, on both this forum and others. I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences with both bags types as EDC/Get Home bags. Maybe somebody can sway me either way. I will say, right now I'm leaning towards the MOAB, but there is no clear winner in my mind.

2. brix

brix Loaded Pockets

If you are looking at the MOAB, you, might want to consider looking at the Sitka or depending on the size of your laptop the Kodiak. Are you really set on these two choices?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

3. westernhaikus1

I do like some aspects of the Sitka, however for the price I don't think it suits my exact focus as well as the MOAB. This is mostly due to the focus of CCW ability on the MOAB. The Sitka technically has a CCW pocket that can accept accessories, but as far as drawing your weapon, forget it (from what I understand).

I only carry a 13" laptop, so the MOAB should do well enough toting it around. I'm not totally set on one of these two (the versipack or the MOAB) but I have done extensive research already and they seem like the two frontrunners.

4. Artifice

Artifice Loaded Pockets

I carry the Maxpedition Malaga which is from their Gearslinger series. It can hold up to a 13" Laptop (Maybe bigger, im not sure) an has quite a bit of room. If you need something for a bigger laptop you can go with the Maxpedition Kodiak or Sitka. The Tactical Attache might fullfill your needs as well.

5. brix

brix Loaded Pockets

If price is a concern you can also look at the lapolicegear Jumbo Bail out bag and Zombie Gear bag. They are pretty much the same quality as 511 gear and priced lower than 511. The only reason I suggest this is because in terms of quality and the price you are going to pay for the MOAB you might as well put in the extra cash and get the sitka. Especially if you are looking to go the tactical-ish bag route. Buying different types of bags and gear over the years you have a lot of consider, in my opinion the extra cash for a Sitka is worth just on the quality of materials alone.

You also might want to take a look at the Paladin mission go bag as well. Should be able to fit a 13 laptop in there.

Last edited by brix, Jun 1, 2012
  6. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

A Malaga with a mini rollypoly pouch would probably get you there. The side compression strap works well to hold the rollypoly in place when you have a water bottle in it, and keep it from swinging around. I recently got the MOAB 6 but i just couldn't get it to work for me because of the shoulder strap (same as the MOAB 10 I believe). The bag itself is extremely well-made and designed, with great organization options, construction etc, but no matter what did, the shoulder strap just dug into me, even with minimal weight in the bag. My 2 cents, YMMV bla bla bla.

7. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

I really like my MOAB 10, it holds everything I need it to and the strap is as comfortable as can be expected from a slinger. I also like the fact that it is ambidexterous, unlike the Sitka, Kodiak or the Jumbo. Speaking of the Jumbo, Have you looked at 5.11s Push Pack?

My recomendation is that you get all your gear together first, then see how much bag you're going to need. There's a big difference between playing mental tetris and actually seeing everything in one pile.

If you go with the Jumbo or variant, you're going to be commuting with two bags which from experience is a major pain.

8. westernhaikus1

I have considered the PUSH although I think after planning it's safe to say that it will definitely be too small. And you make a great point about the two bag thing.

And I appreciate all the comments (from everyone) about the Sitka, however I think that, as I posted above, that it doesn't offer a solid CCW capability which is one of my key focus areas.

9. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Loaded Pockets

/ten char.

Last edited by PinoyBoy, Feb 11, 2014
  10. westernhaikus1

What's the reasoning behind your thought process here? Not enough space?

11. MatterOfFact

MatterOfFact Loaded Pockets

The cool thing about the MOAB bags is that they easily attach to the 5.11 RUSH backpacks. So you could fit everything you need for work in the backpack, and just put your EDC gear in the MOAB and buckle it onto the front. On evenings and weekends, just detach and you're good to go.

Matt

12. westernhaikus1

I think the idea is better than the execution - every time I've seen the MOAB 10 attached to, say a RUSH 24, the end result looks like this massive boulder that would never be practical to carry around. I guess it all depends on how full you pack your stuff. Definitely a plus just to have the option though. The idea of being able to have my bug out bag and get home back attach and detach as necessary is great in theory.

13. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Loaded Pockets

/ten char.

14. CheepSteal

CheepSteal Loaded Pockets

Have you considered the 5.11 Rush Messenger? I recently was going to purchase it but upon donning it in person at my local store, it looked too big for me. However, I think for what you want to carry every day (EDC, get home supplies, laptop, CCW) it will be perfect. There is excellent organisation within the bag and the CCW pocket is exterior. It fits a 17" laptop to my understanding too.
    If you tighten up the strap, you can sling the bag across your back just like the MOABs. I'm not sure of your height and build though, and it might also be too big for you if you've been considering the MOAB/Sitka. For reference, I'm 5'9" and have small/medium build.

15. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

In the end, you're not going to find one bag that meets all of your needs. MOAB with it's one strap won't allow you to carry much of a load out. I highly recommend the Maxped Jumbo EDC, but for you it's too small because it cannot hold a 13" laptop. The COVRT 18 backpack meets all of your requirements except cost - it's a capable CCW platform with lots of pockets for storing EDC, but it will cost more. Even more high end would be the Camelbak Urban Assault Concealment. Etc, etc.

For reference, here is my review of the COVRT 18:

http://edcforums.com/threads/5-11-covrt-18-backpack-picture-heavy-updated-with-h2o-test.83094/

Here is a comparison review I did of the 5.11 Push Pack and the Maxped Jumbo EDC:

http://edcforums.com/threads/maxpedition-jumbo-edc-versus-5-11-push-pack-comparison-picture-heavy.85943/

If you're willing to concede your CCW requirement, why not a vertical messenger? I own both backpacks and messengers but I've found I prefer messengers for my daily commute because you can get to the contents easier on the move. My messenger of choice after much trial and error is the Timbuk2 Blogger. Timbuk2 no longer makes it but you can still find gently used ones on eBay.

I posted this in another thread, but here is a pic of the Blogger next to the Maxped Jumbo EDC and the Hazard 4 Kato. I plan on doing a separate thread on the Blogger. Just haven't got around to it yet. Too much to do, too little time.

[​IMG]

Last edited by TARFU, Jun 13, 2012
  16. Prætorian ®

Prætorian ® Loaded Pockets

17. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Thanks Praetorian - dusted off an oldie but a goodie on that one, but someone mentioned the Push Pack earlier in the thread so I thought it was pertinent. I'm glad it helped you.

Prætorian ® likes this.
  18. westernhaikus1

Dudes, thanks for all the responses.

I ended up springing for the MOAB 10 in black. Had it for a couple of days now, and I plan on doing an end-all review on it after I get some real use out of it.

So far, I'm liking it. I'm still interested in the messenger bag style approach so I may purchase one of those knock-off UTG bags that are copies of the Maxped Jumbo just to get a feel for them. Everybody here is right - the MOAB is a great pack, but if you pack it too heavy it is less comfortable and the CCW compartment becomes less or unusable. For my load out, it's working very well, however I don't have a lot of room for expansion if I need to, and I had to spend at least an hour setting the bag up in different configurations to get the best usability out of it. Still, all my needs to this point are met and the quality is outstanding.

Look for my review in a few weeks, and I'm happy to answer any questions on the bag. If I end up acquiring a messenger style EDC bag I'll probably do a comparison.

mooshisho likes this.
  19. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Loaded Pockets

/ten char.

20. CheepSteal

CheepSteal Loaded Pockets

PinoyBoy, it is quite large even when swung across your back, I went to my local 5.11 store today to get some shorts and tried it out again. I ended up buying a Small Timbuk2 messenger a few months ago because that looked better on me and was a better university/public transport bag for me, the 5.11 Delivery is too big for someone of my height. It'd probably look normal (normal like how the small Timbuk2 fits on me) if you were a big >6 foot guy.
    The guy in this picture is probably 6'2 or similar and it looks normal on him.