1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Messenger/sling bag that can also be a rucksack.

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by earthman, Sep 12, 2016.

1. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Any one make such a thing? I'm thinking that the bag would have another sewn in attachment point, that you could clip another strap to and wear like a rucksack.

I have no doubt that a 'proper' rucksack is the best for load carrying/comfort but I'm thinking more about city use/exploring new towns whilst on holiday etc where rucksacks are frowned upon. A messenger size bag can still become heavy on one shoulder so I'm thinking that the option of carrying it like a rucksack for a while would be a nice option.

2. Etrange

Etrange Loaded Pockets

Take a look at:
    5.11 Tactical Triab 18 Backpack
    5.11 Tactical Covrt Triab (absent on official 5.11 site but still can be found)
    Maxpedition Duality Backpack
    any backpacks which can be attached to plate carriers (these backpacks usually have removable shoulder straps).

3. Etrange

Etrange Loaded Pockets

4. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

MountainSmith Day you'll need the strapettes sold as an accessory

5. Jackr

Jackr Loaded Pockets

Bagjack NXL. They have a video that will show it briefly. Doesn't look very comfortable in that position though. Very pricey bag, would love to have one.

6. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Thanks guys. I'm currently using a 511 Rush 24 and a Helikon Wombat bag so I'm looking similar features, bottle pouch and organisational pocket(s).

7. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

earthman likes this.
  8. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Vertx EDC Principal Briefcase, it goes from shoulder bag to backpack.

9. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Interesting bag that, I'm guessing that the orientation of the bag is changed when it's carried as a backpack?
    I'm wondering about the water bottle, won't it want to fall out of it's pouch??

10. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

Milspec Monkey Adapt Pack. I have one and it's awesome.

Pics page

[​IMG]

earthman likes this.
  11. Lellobeetle

Earthman, I have the Urban1 color combo.

12. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Very nice, I'll be looking for a supplier of these in the UK,...probably won't have much luck though. Lol

13. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Mystery Ranch makes a 3 Way Expandable Briefcase that can be carried as a messenger or backpack.

14. Lellobeetle

If you pay international shipping, I'll ship it to you.

earthman likes this.
  15. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Thanks, that's very kind of you but no need, I know of a family friend who may help.:)

16. Mabellucy

Mabellucy Loaded Pockets

Is the wombat available on the U.S?
    I just got a new DAG lg messenger and it is awesome except for not deep enough, front to back, by about 3" and going to have to return. Wombat looks very similar but has larger main compartment I believe...

17. nofos

nofos Empty Pockets

My current EDC bag is Backenger Newfeel. It's messenger bag with backpack function. Strap is made of same material (or very similar to) cars safety belts. It has 3 compartments inside, one big and one small in flap and bottle holder. You have it on your arm, throw it on the back and pull this strap shown on the picture below the arm strap (you have to place your second hand between this strap and bags wall). [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 photos show how it looks like when empty, sixth shows my basic EDC and last two show how it looks when it's packed. This tiny pocket on the flap holds my little card holder with my public communication card and library card (both visa size).

Is that bag a good choice? Yes if your main reason is equal weight on both shoulders time to time, but it will never be as good as real backpack, secondly backpack/bag back is rigid so it won't fit yours back as good as backpack. Materials are good quality, but you have to be careful because overpacking it will look bad in general, will cause the flap to open (only small Velcro holds it) when used as backpack, and visually it fits more between backpack and students messenger rather then anything else. Not totally casual, but no one will call it elegant or business attire. Last but not least the switch method isn't as good as they try to portray it in commercials. Is give it 3,75 out of 5, it's good but I wouldn't buy it again. I'm trying to figure out whether I'll buy bag or backpack next. Backpacks are more EDC friendly, but I work in public administration with some dress code rules so it will be hard to find good one for using with shirts or blazers.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

reppans likes this.
  18. Flashman

Flashman Loaded Pockets

Here is an interesting way of taking a messenger bag and using it occasionally as a rucksack.

This would allow you to find a messenger bag that is aesthetically work appropriate, and using it as a rucksack when needed.

nofos likes this.
  19. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

20. JN

JN Loaded Pockets

I have the 10L version of the Newfeel Backenger (from Decathon) with similar design as nofos's 20L version. i feel it deserves a little more attention here.

Styling-wise, it's a messager bag even if worn as a backpack which do look a little weird, so might not work for some people. Functionally, it's designed to switch QUICKLY between Backpack and Shoulder bag (not messenger carry) which could be of some interest to this forum. Backpack for ease of carry, shoulder bag for ease of access. Strap has no padding (for one shoulder) so shoulder carry is NOT as comfortable as a backpack but still beats long carry on one shoulder, and generally ok for urban edc.

Have a look at their video () to see how it works. Strap length should be pre-adjusted for BOTH backpack and shoulder carry so the bag can be switched between the two easily without fiddling with the strap. They actually DON'T recommend this messenger style bag to be carried cross body, which is also NOT seen in their commercials to be worn messenger style !! Not that it can't, but because that gets in the way of switching QUICKLY between the two modes which is the main appeal of this bag.

Disclaimer : Not related to them except as a paying customer.

reppans likes this.