1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Messenger or briefcase...

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Atomic, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Atomic

Atomic Loaded Pockets

After talking with people in the company I'm about to be promoted to foreman. (Very excited!) I've looked at bags before when I was told they were going to build a crew around me but that's been almost a year ago. I need a bag that I can store stuff in and also be able to carry it out of the truck as well.

Requirements and what it will hold:
    Big enough to fit a collapsible file folder in or include a collapsible file folder. (time sheets, safety sheets et cetera)
    Note book
    Clip board
    Stapler
    Flashlight
    Binoculars
    Pens and pencils
    A few pads about the width of index cards but twice as long. (stuff from the co-ops)
    And office supplies (staples, paper clips)

Found this: http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/LARKSPUR-MESSENGER-BAG-Small-58p1240.htm
    It's perfect except for price. Anything in the 20 - 40 dollar range?

2. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

I think a nice canvas messenger will be more rugged than a briefcase. A lose nail scrapes the leather on your briefcase you ruin the case. a lose nail won't kill a canvass bag and will add character. I think you should look at something a bit more expensive, you won't necessarily bind something as durable at the price range you are looking at. Unless you look at an army surplus messenger bag, they are in the right price range and should be rugged enough. http://www.google.com/products?q=army+surplus+messenger+bag&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf

3. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I was going to suggest one of the Rothco canvas messenger bags until I saw your maxpedition link. I thought I'd post another alternative. Its from the Duluth Trading Co. and it's called the Czech Plumbers Bag. It's a large leather messenger style bag. It will probably last a lifetime. Check it out and read the reviews of it. Remember, you get what you pay for.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/departments/-specialty-shops/travel-clothes-and-luggage/bags-and-luggage/58007.aspx?feature=product_10

4. _STL_15_

_STL_15_ Loaded Pockets

5.11 Sidetrip Briefcase

5. Death and Taxes

Death and Taxes Empty Pockets

6. Atomic

Atomic Loaded Pockets

I think this might just be perfect! Thank you!

7. Atomic

Atomic Loaded Pockets

I realize you get what you pay for but my reasons for going cheap are thought out.
    1. I never buy expensive on the first buy. Dunno why but with tools and everything I buy cheap first, then upgrade later.
    2. And this may be the reason I buy cheap first, I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. I'd hate to plunk down 150 on a bag only to get it and have to pretend that it was exactly what I was looking for in a bag. If the cheaper bag works out but falls apart then I'll better know what I'm looking for next time.
    3. As much as I hate to admit it, I have a budget. :)

Thanks for your suggestion though. I won't buy it but it's a nice looking bag and maybe in a couple years I'll need another and it does look like it would work.

8. rabidchicken

rabidchicken Loaded Pockets

Look for sales. I just got my Larkspur for $80 shipped when lapolicegear had their sale. They run sales every few months on maxpedition gear.

9. Mecha04

Mecha04 Loaded Pockets

Like Grayman suggested, the Rathco messenger bag (Jack Bauer bag) is only around $30 and the same design as the Larkspur.

10. eeph

eeph Empty Pockets

11. rabidchicken

rabidchicken Loaded Pockets

Same as in they are both messenger bags. Otherwise, these bags are very different.

12. Mecha04

Mecha04 Loaded Pockets

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant to say that they are about the same size with the same basic layout (main pouch with 2 front pouches under the flap).

13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Atomic,

What about one of these two?

Engineers Field Bag

M-51 Engineer Bag

They're not real cool or stylish, but they seem pretty functional and they hit right in the middle of your price point.

14. fallow

fallow Loaded Pockets

15. Atomic

Atomic Loaded Pockets

These are all good suggestions. I think I'm going to get one from the link that freedoom posted. As far as style goes, simple functionality is a great style. :)

16. Atomic

Atomic Loaded Pockets

Well I got the promotion about 6 weeks ago. When the check clears I'm going to order the CC Bailout bag. I think it should work.

17. doktorziplok

doktorziplok Loaded Pockets

congrats on the promotion!

i know you specified $40 as an upper limit, but i think the recession era bags at renaissance-art.com really justify a second (and third) look. i've been living with mine ---a large--- for over a year. i love it. i use it as a daily carry bag to tote my laptop and some crap around. i use it for weekend trips, it's the perfect size for a spare change of clothes + dopp. it's robust and wears the scars of the road well.

i was originally looking for a mailman's bag and the prices were ridiculous. i wanted something simple; just one "pocket." the recession bag has one pocket (plus a flap pocket). it's made to last, the leather is ~1/8" and tough.

recession era bags

18. Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey Loaded Pockets

19. Atomic

Atomic Loaded Pockets

http://countycomm.com/bobxl.htm

Just ordered that. I didn't want it in black but I guess that's what I'm getting. CC you guys are out of date on the tech side of things heh. Looks like I'm getting something that I will have to order some EDC tags to put on. :)

20. Atomic

Atomic Loaded Pockets

My bag came in. I love it! It looks so cool. It's a little bigger than I anticipated but I think it is going to be perfect. I should be able to get a large and medium 3 ring binder in there as well as file folders. Plus the neat pockets on the outside.