1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Messenger bags!!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by dejthmonk, Mar 5, 2010.

1. dejthmonk

dejthmonk Empty Pockets

I would love to get one. Lots of choices. I commute almost daily by bike and love my odyssey but want a single strap pack and would like a messenger. Have researched some just wanted some input from the folks. Any help GREATLY appreciated!!

2. deep30hz

deep30hz Empty Pockets

There are many great bike messenger bags out there. I just recently sold a Chrome and a Timbuk2 here. Great bags and used by pro bike messengers. Another one is Baileyworks.....they make awesome bags as well and they are also used by pro bike messengers. All these bags are built to extremes to put up with what professional bike messengers put them through. This link has some reviews. This is from around 2006 and most of these bags have been updated and improved evern futher since then and prices have risen too, but you'll get an idea anyway.
    http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/reviews/messengerbags/

3. cockroach

cockroach Empty Pockets

I like messenger bags for general use, but I have a problem with them on the bike - I find I have to pull the strap really short to hold the bag tight & stop it swinging around, which limits comfort & quick access to the bag.
    On the bike I prefer a backpack.

4. eme714

eme714 Loaded Pockets

I really like messenger bags, for quick access. I also like the fact that they don't get my back as sweaty as backpacks. Other than that I think backpacks are ideal.

5. MartinTravels

MartinTravels Empty Pockets

I just went through this same struggle last fall. I wanted a messenger bag for school/motorcycle/airline use. Which one to get... so many choices. I headed down to REI and looked at a bunch of them. The REI brand bags seemed pretty cheaply made, as did most of the other brands. I saw a pretty nice Victorinox, but it looked a little too much like a suitcase. Then I saw some really nice Timbuk2 bags. They were well made, different sizes, and good design. I was about to buy one, when I spotted a Keen Commuter Bag. This thing is awesome!

Key Features:

- Waterproof
    - Nice color schemes (nothing too gaudy) & sizes
    - All buckles are solid aluminium (not plastic)
    - Simple well organized pockets
    - Two water bottle pockets
    - Solid Rubber Bottom (it is like a vibram sole; very nice for setting the bag down and nice for wet surfaces)
    - Adjustable Shoulder strap AND waist strap (this is removable). Very nice for bikes or motorcycles
    - Solid carry handle/zippers (the handles are reinforced with steel cable)
    - Has a few discreet reflectors on it for night visibility
    - Holds its form when empty, no droopy looking bag

This is one VERY well made bag. The Timbuk2 was really nice, but the difference in quality was very apparent. The Keen is the best one I've seen yet, and has a heavier, stiffer, sturdier feel (although the bag itself is lightweight). With a $100 price tag, it has been worth every penny. The size is perfect school or work use (especially if you are on two wheels). This bag should give you years and years of service. You will not regret this bag!

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/...er%20bag/black

http://www.rei.com/product/790656

[​IMG]

6. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

If you can find a Timbuk2 medium on sale go for it. They are nicely sized and very well made. I got a retro waxed canvas one for around $60. My usual EDB is a ballistic nylon XS that I have no complaints with. For professional or heavy use the Chrome, Manhattan Portage and Seagull bags are solid, but pricey.

7. DBDenton

DBDenton Empty Pockets

I've carried a Chrome Citizen for a couple of years now, great bag, bulletproof build quality and very stylish. My only problem is I quit wearing cross-breast and would just let the bag hang off one shoulder, 2 months of that and now im looking to order a backpack. The messenger design is cool, but it's designed for a very specific purpose, secure to your back easy to swing around. I'm not trying to discourage your decision, but keep in mind that a true messenger is designed to be carried cross-breast, if you dont find that comfortable you need to look into a regular pack. That being said, I cant say enough good things about Chrome. Their bags are ridiculously over engineered and yet simple in design. They also eliminate the problem cockroach mentioned. There is a very trick buckle that pulls tight to your chest with a tug on the loose end and loosens simply by tugging the handle on the buckle. Their Ivan backpack will be my next bag, made in the USA and guaranteed for life.

8. somber

somber Banned

+1 this.

Chrome bags are where it's at. I literally spilled a full water bottle in the main compartment and all I had to do was pour it out. It stayed in the compartment without getting anything else in the bag wet, saving the intergrity of my electronics, my leather wallet/notebooks, etc. These bags are fantastic. It's one of those things that even though I spent more than what a normal messanger bag costs I don't feel that I have to baby, worry, or care for this bag in the least bit. It'll stay the same through everything. Great, great bag.

9. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I have a Chrome bag, it's much better than the Timbuk2. The Timbuk2 is cheap (especially since they go on sale on the time), common, customizable, and uncomfortable. They're both much more durable than normal backpacks. However, unless you're a messenger who goes in/out of their bag continually, a single strap bag is bad for your shoulder and back, and I wouldn't recommend one if you're carrying more than a few pounds.

10. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

I love my Bailey Works Pro. I have an XL and it is enormous I can easily pack for a week trip in it (I pack light) so judge accordingly. I have riden with it in down pours with non of the contents getting wet. They are a bit expensive but they are a small company based in Portsmouth, NH and have excellent customer service. Well worth a look if you want a bag for life.

11. minew

minew Empty Pockets

I have two timbuk2 messenger bags in the small and medium sizes! I love them! Well built and waterproof! Lots of room and organization pockets! You can get them cheap on Ebay too!

12. Stuey

Stuey Loaded Pockets

I have a North Face canvas messenger bag that I'm pretty fond of, but I don't think they make it any more. If I had to replace it, I'd go for a similarly sized Timbuk2 bag.

13. crossroads

crossroads Empty Pockets

I bought a Chrome Citizen from deep30hz, excellent bag. Been using it for the past month, has held up great. Waterproof, perhaps a little uncomfortable if overloaded, but otherwise great. I still like backpacks, but messenger bags are a good alternative. However, like shrap mentioned, there may be potential back injuries as the weight isn't distributed evenly.

14. dejthmonk

dejthmonk Empty Pockets

Awesome help folks. Love to get the help from bag nerd fam. (i'm one too). Looking at a timbuk2 large on sale for $71 after tax. Love the bagaboo brand if ya'll haven't looked at those they are the BOMB!!!

15. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

For what use? A large is really big. I have a med and XS I use EDC.

16. dejthmonk

dejthmonk Empty Pockets

i am a large guy. i have a child and like to carry for her. I also tend to load my 38L odyssey quite full. Also would like to carry more on my bike than i can put in my backpack.

17. dejthmonk

dejthmonk Empty Pockets

well I found another thread on the forums that has so many more brands. I had no idea there were so many: pac bags out of canada AWESOME!!! bagaboo out of u.k. AWESOME!!! these 2 are my handsdown favorites but boy are they costly!!!

18. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

Go for the Large Timbuk2 then. $71 is a good price. We should start to see a lot of deals on their messenger bags. They recently made some evolutionary changes and the old style will go fast if deals are available.

19. Trippytiger

Trippytiger Empty Pockets

If you're okay with plain black, you should be able to do much better at REI overstock right now. Their price is $54.95, less 20% until tomorrow. That's just $43.96 before shipping and taxes.

Hmm, now I'm a little tempted.

http://www.rei.com/product/803278

20. deep30hz

deep30hz Empty Pockets

Glad you're enjoying that Chrome. They really are terrific bags and built EXTREMELY well.