1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Messenger bag suggestions (graduate school)

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by hawkeye180, Jul 26, 2015.

1. hawkeye180

hawkeye180 Loaded Pockets

I am starting grad school in the fall and I kind of want to get a messenger bag.

I kind of want it to look a bit nicer, so not tactical.

And go..

2. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

Carryology rated the PacSafe Z400 the best work messenger. Timbuk2 makes some great stuff.

Are you planning on biking? I know it's the fashion to bike with a messenger, but unless you wear it high and tight it can swing around a lot.

3. DEERLORD

DEERLORD Loaded Pockets

Another timbuk2 recommendation, probably the best starter messengers. Get one of their basic ones and figure out what you like from there because there are dozens of companies out there putting out good and diverse products right now.

4. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

TIMBUK2 and STM make good messenger bags in a variety of sizes and colors. Both of these brands are non-tactical in look or colors. Even the olive colors do not make these bags look very tactical.
    Many comments by online reviewers and at YT speak to the good looks and finish of both these brands.

You will not go wrong with either. There a more expensive bags that have the "I'm expensive look and name" but do not offer better fit, function and often not always better quality.

I just ordered, should arrive on July 28, the Timbuk2 Classic Messenger Bag 2014 extra small size. That bag will become an EDC bag for all the accesseries I carry, two EDC flashlights, 20 oz. Yeti cup, wallet, smartphone charger, 12600Mah usb battery and cables and assorted other items. The 9L size will allow me a useful additional carry on for airline travel that supplements the 46L Osprey Porter that's my prime carry on.

College students, at least the one I have known never have enough money. Timbuk2 and STM are found at numerous websites and have thier own sites where you can review every model, size, feature set and color combination possible. Happy shopping!

Speaking for myself, I preferred TIMBUK2 since most of the bags/packs are made in the USA.

Please share your search adventures and let us know what messenger bag you purchase.

5. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

6. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

7. hawkeye180

hawkeye180 Loaded Pockets

I've got a nice rei dividend saved up, there is a good chance that I'll get something from there. They have a few timbuk and osprey options.

8. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Check out the Tom Bihn, STM and Vvego bags. None of them are particularly "tacticool." :D

9. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

REI carries a good selection of Timbuk2 bags. Ordering online will give you the largest selection for size and colors. REI did not have the Timbuk2 Classic Messenger in extra-small so no joy with a local purchase.

I checked out the Helluva Series Messenger Vvego bag. Not my style and definitley not my price range. To much working class frugality made me click off that page once I saw the price.

OUCH!

10. Ralys

Ralys Loaded Pockets

I am actually using an american eagle messenger.

[​IMG]

It works well for my macbook, notebook, books, etc, without screaming tacticool. I have known a few people who had similar bags from jcrew, but I don't think they offer them anymore. If this style appeals to you, it may be worth looking around at american eagle, jcrew, banana republic, etc. I paid $15 for mine, on clearance.

11. dwong

dwong Loaded Pockets

using the patagonia half-mass, works great for work. i think rei carry it too.

12. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

I'd be a Timbuk2 dissenter. I had a classic messenger that I returned for refund. I might just have different desires in a messenger, but it had numerous design elements I really disliked.

I thought it was too stiff and didn't contour to my body; too many layers of material. The nylon was too slippery; I wore it with a rain jacket and it just slipped and slid all over the place as I moved. I didn't like that it's designed to be carried on your right side only (left side can be done, but you lose some functionality). Basically if you plan on using it like a backpack and keeping it on your back with the cross-strap buckled most of the time, then it would be really nice (but why not just get a backpack, then?). The biggest drawback to me was that the accessibility was poor. The flap is large and covers most of the front of the bag, so you really have to reach your arm up in there to get to the opening unless you take the bag off. Plus, it has two buckles combined with a big patch of velcro that makes a lovely loud tearing sound whenever you open the flap.

Fit and finish is excellent and the strap is really comfortable. But I found it to be an overbuilt backpack-alternative. Easy accessibility without taking off the bag is the point of a sling bag, to me.

13. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

The classic messenger is just that - the bag they designed for San Francisco bike messengers who ride like wild men, go in and out of businesses all day, and carry oversized loads. If you get the strap set up properly, you have the bag up high on you back then pop big Fastex buckle to drop the pack a few inches and easily swing it around the front for very quick access. Used the way it's designed, it's a great pack, but I can certainly see how it's not for everyone. I have a medium version that primarily lives in my truck and their largest (huge) version that carries 50+ pounds of music cables etc without a whimper. VERY tough bags.

They have other designs that are more work/office friendly, like their Laptop Messenger, that look kind of the same but function very differently.

Captdave13, Stutz and dml24 like this.
  14. NeoZeon

NeoZeon Loaded Pockets

I have owned a few messenger bags. I owned a timbuk2 classic, a mission workshop monty, and now i just bout a MSPC-Japan potential messenger bag. I have tos ay the mission workshop is "technically" the best bag i've owned. Best comfort, and performance, but if you want something fancier, brands like Trakke, MSPC japan, Bedouin Foundry, DSPTCH (I own one of their bags too), Defy, and KILLSPENCER (omg, lust) will serve you well for a lifetime. I know it might be blasphemous to spend 300+ dollars on a messenger bag, but they have become the modern brief case (especially for someone like me who bikes).

I think my students certainly take me more seriously (i'm a graduate student too) since I tend to wear a button down when I teach and have few nice clothes. Sometimes it's taking pride in what you do (we all show it differently, i'm not suggesting spending money on appearance ect means you are or not prideful) . Just some unsolicited advice from someone who was teaching students only 2 years younger than them at the college level, and needed a way to distinguish himself.

15. Crippletron
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Crippletron Loaded Pockets

I also am switching from tacticool to more professional looking. I hope I am not making a mistake but often my bag does not match my attire in the hospital setting. I'm stuck between the Tom Bihn ego and super ego right now.

16. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I love my custom Timbuk2. You can configure the bag in any color or material. The interior org panel is awesome. I have had the same one for 6 years or so... still looks new. If you go custom, get the top grab handle. The bag needs to be buckled closed to use, but it makes getting in and out vehicles easier.

Captdave13 and dml24 like this.
  17. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

I've had a Osprey Elroy for a couple of years and I love that thing. It's exceptionally durable, lightweight, organized and comfortable to carry. It doesn't break the bank either. I think I paid $99 or something like that.
    This particular model is also quite huge. I can pack everything I need in it for a 2-3 day trip.

dml24 likes this.
  18. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Have to agree with Sriracha. Timbuk2 allows a great deal of customization for colors and materials. I did not go this route since I needed a messenger bag in a short time. the sub $100 price and numerous positive reviews of the TIMBUK2 Classic Messenger bag was enough to convince me to try TIMBUK2.

NeoZeon lust after high end bags in the +300 dollar range. If ones professional setting needs a certian image then paying for something high end makes sense. In an organization like I work for one sees all brands of brief cases, back packs and messenger bags. Jansport, Osprey, Kelty to name a few, many here sport military style others go for less tacticool.

A value shopper such as me can look at the high end equipment, I just cannot justify the expense.

Sriracha likes this.
  19. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I moved away from TB2 due to the excessively overbuilt 10 ton super stiff webbing strap that always seem to use lately... even on their smallest 8L XS bags. I find simple soft webbing straps equivalent to car seat belts (~3 ton rating?) with a single loop size adjustment/lock to have a number of advantages: they can tuck inside the bag with zero volume (briefcase mode); you can double-wide the strap (double the surface area) at the weight-bearing point on your shoulder for comfort eliminating the need for a bulk shoulder pad; you can rig a soft strap into a dual strap backpack for serious weight/distance/active sports.

dml24 likes this.
  20. tmgplc

tmgplc Loaded Pockets

Check out Rickshaw Bagworks. Great stuff and allows for a lot of customization.

dml24 likes this.