1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Messenger bag recommendations?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by kokost, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Jason C

Jason C Loaded Pockets

I carry various things in my Aerostich Parcel Bag, motorcycle specific not a lot of pockets but water proof and very heavy duty.

Sorry no can linkey..

2. tmgplc

tmgplc Loaded Pockets

Check out Rickshaw Bags. I have the Commuter which may be a little big but also the Med Zero. Both are the waterproof xpac. They make some high quality really nice bags.

3. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

I did the hazard 4 sherman route... A messenger but not looking like all the other messengers..

I hate messenger style bags, but this one was different enough to catch my eye.. And I really like it.

4. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

The sherman is the big brothert of the Kato. Same cumbersome buckles and no velcro to hold the flap. Good to know it worked for you.

5. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

I didn't want velcro.. Too loud opening in a quiet space and garbage tends to build up in the hook part.. As for the buckles.. Two 30 second alterations and they're ten times better... If you don't want the Locking option, cutting the two little nubs end that.. And I took a small file to the female end and smoothed out the prongs where they latch and it takes less effort to pop.

Better than the loud "riiiiiiiiiiiiipppppppp" every time you open it, or catching your fingers in it.

6. JT2V

JT2V Loaded Pockets

This is why Rickshaw bags are awesome. They come with 'velcro silencers' that let you choose how much velcro you want. The best part is the silencers have magnets so your bag flap still stays closed. Plus a buckle too for ultimate closure.

7. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm going to give another recommendation for the Minimass from Patagonia. I just got one a week ago and am very pleased with it so far. It's got a couple of small pockets, a magazine pocket on the outside and a decent admin panel inside the main pouch. The main pouch has a laptop area big enough for a 13" MacBook or some file folders. The bag will fold fairly flat when the load is small.
    [​IMG]
    That's a 11.6" laptop in a 12" targus neoprene case.
    [​IMG]

8. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Agreed.

[​IMG]

9. RoboSim

RoboSim Loaded Pockets

Tenba DNA Messenger
    Booq Boa Nerve

10. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

Cool! Never knew they had that... If I was a big messenger fan I'd be on that..

11. tr4022

tr4022 Uber Prepared

Check out the Osprey flapjack courier. I don't have one, but I have several Osprey bags, and they're outstanding quality. The flapjack courier is very reasonably priced, too..

12. fsdigital12

fsdigital12 Loaded Pockets

The rothco's aren't terrible

13. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

The back admin of this bag is nice, and the velcro silencers are its best features. Its already taken a slot in my "to buy" civilian collection. I've been browsing for the past two days now, just waiting for timing .

TARFU likes this.
  14. Lane DeCamp

Lane DeCamp Loaded Pockets

• Rule 15 violation.
    Most of what were recommended above seem to be much larger and bulkier than you are looking for. A few suggestions of my own:

1. Tumi has a couple really nice messengers and slings now -- check out the Alpha Bravo line, a new product line for them. In particular, the hickory color is actually black with a few dark brown leather accents. That color version has better zippers than the other colors and is a look that I can easily wear with either a suit or with tactical pants. I have the Monterey sling, which fits everything you describe plus a full-size iPad or a 11-inch Macbook Air. Everything is silent (no velcro), it protects the iPad well, and I can just sling it over my shoulder or wear it over my neck as well.

2. Defy Bags. They use recycled truck tarps and close with Austri-Alpin buckles, which are gorgeous and much nicer than velcro.

3. Mission Workshop was founded by the guys who founded Chrome, and is on a roll with many new and very fine designs. They take a much more sophisticated and urban view compared to the old Chrome bags you probably know. A bit more expensive but totally worth it. They always have limited editions going on as well. I wouldn't recommend the Archiv line -- they use some custom metal fasteners and go in for modular add-on pockets that get a bit ungainly and also very expensive. But they might fit your needs. The original Mission Workshop lines are about the best out there.

4. If the bags work for you, check out BedouinFoundry. Stunning bags. Several are huge, but they do have a couple smaller ones. Unquestionably the best made messenger bags in the business.

15. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Carryology pitted the Mission Workshop vs Chrome for active messenger. Mission won, good looks, good straps, but lacking admin and pockets; both are good if you bike all the time. Tumi is also nice, great admin, side and pockets, but no padding on the straps; also expensive. For non-tactical, your best value will be the Timbuk TSA friendly commute laptop messenger. It gives you all except for a pocket at the flap.

16. ambaal

ambaal Loaded Pockets

They pitted Rummy agains Lieutenant, which isn't exactly fair for Lieutenant. Chrome citizen/metropolis is far better representation of what chrome has to offer.
    That said, I have them all, and Rummy is still very nice bag, the only problem with it is that access to main compartment is somewhat cumbersome due to tube.

But I still think that Timbuk2 classic messenger is the best. :)

17. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

I'm glad you said you have them all, makes me less feel guilty adding more to my civilian collection. The Rummy or Monty is racing in my mind now, I'd like to try some dedicated bike messengers and that fancy buckle that you can quickly loosen the strap seems to strike me.

18. kokost

kokost Empty Pockets

Well its been a while since I've had a chance to come on... First of all, I would like to thank everyone who has made a recommendation, especially those that have included photos. What can I say? Seeing is believing though that is only second to physically inspecting one in person and testing it. Just to update everyone, I have pulled the trigger on a Tom Bihn Large Cafe Bag. While it isn't perfect, it is pretty close to what my requirements are. The design sounds pretty solid and materials feel pretty good so far. I just received it yesterday but I will probably make a brief review after some use.

Now for something quite important... anyone living in Canada who is looking to purchase from Tom Bihn, I suggest ordering directly from them. I was hesitant in the flat rate delivery fee and ended up recruiting my friend in the US in helping me ship it over. That was all fine and dandy until he sent it via UPS Standard... and that is where COD charges racked up. While I was able to negotiate it to be lower, I was still at a loss making this venture pointless. It probably would've been mitigated by using USPS or something but whats done is done. Ordering directly from Tom Bihn, paying the flat rate UPS fee, local provincial tax, and the $10 dollar brokerage fee would've been even better. Needless to say, it watered down my excitement for this bag slightly. Good job UPS...

Once again, thanks to everyone who has helped in my messenger bag hunt. I hope this thread will be of use for anyone else seeking a low-profile messenger bag.