1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Merino wool is awesome

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by moostapha, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Costco do decent, cheap merino wool socks. I use them year round when I'm in my work boots, and I've been working in quite hot conditions (33c one day) this summer.

2. World in Transition

World in Transition Loaded Pockets

Most of the TAD gear listed are long sleeve layers for cooler weather - In hot weather I wear a pair of the Commando Boxer Briefs, Force 10 AC shorts and an Eleven merino tee - can even loose the boxers if its REAL hot :hot:

moostapha likes this.
  3. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

And for someone who hates shorts unless there's to high of a risk of heat exhaustion?

Are the AC and RS fabrics pretty breathable?

4. World in Transition

AC is the tool for the job in hot weather, super lightweight, tough and breathable - my Force 10 AC shorts are one of my favourite items of clothing...

No Agenda and moostapha like this.
  5. Brisket

Brisket Loaded Pockets

Big fan of merino wool clothing as well as wool in general. Started out years ago with socks and base layers and now it is a big part of my EDC and hunting wardrobe. Most of my merino is from Icebreaker, but I have some from Smartwool, Ibex, Stoic, First Lite, Core4Element, Terramar and Wickers. I have some lightweight t-shirts from Icebreaker (150 wt) and Wickers that I can wear year around and do. I have also replaced a good part of my hunting clothes with merino gear and have an elevated outfit (Mossy Oak Break Up) and a ground level outfit (Realtree Max 1) that use a lot of merino pieces.

Most of my merino is machine washable. I typically use Woolite or Nikwax Wool Wash although Icebreaker states that their garments are made to be used with any laundry detergent, just no bleach or softeners.

World in Transition likes this.
  6. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I'm a fan of Merino as well but it is relatively "fragile." I typically only wear it as an outer layer in casual settings - not when doing anything active.

Brands that I've reviewed and/or wear personally:

Triple Aught Design: Primer Crew, Traverse Tech T, Huntsman Henley, Artemis Hoodie (my wife's)
    IceBreaker: Tech T Lite
    SmartWool: NTS Micro 150 Crew & Bottom, countless pairs of their socks
    Darn Tough of Vermont: Standard Issue Crew, 1/4 Sock Cushion(from their Tactical line)

I machine wash all of my Merino on the gentle cycle and tumble dry on cool.

FWIW, I do not wear Merino as a base layer if I plan to be active (sweating or perspiring) in the cold weather. I prefer a synthetic base layer that wicks perspiration into the Merino but keeps my skin away from wet fabric.

kikaida and AK Adventurer like this.
  7. World in Transition

What about smell?

8. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I haven't found a synthetic as good as merino in that regard, but under armor's compression heat gear is probably a bit better at shedding heat.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

9. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Virtually no smell with synthetic wicking fabrics.

I also forgot to mention MyPackage underwear. Excellent!

10. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I transitioned to merino from synthetics because the former retains body odor FAR less. My preferred brands are Smartwool and WoolX. I use The Laundress Wool & Cashmere Shampoo or Eucalan No Rinse Delicate Wash. The latter for routine washings and the former if the garment is really soiled. I use cold water with either. I do not rinse the Eucalan stuff. It is a treatment. When soiled heavily, I use The Laundress, rinse, then use the Eucalan, press dry then lay flat to dry. DO NOT WRING the garment. I don't allow my merino garments to become heavy soiled so I use mostly the Eucalan product.

Wool is hair so if I run out of the two products mentioned, I use human hair shampoo: the very mild stuff that the missus uses.

moostapha likes this.
  11. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I wonder if there are any merino compression shirts...I might just try buying one really small because the UA stuff might work better for very hot days. And some of it might be that there's no layer of air between it and my skin.

12. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

moostapha,
    What is the (your) "cycling kit" that you referenced in the 1st post. I am now on a 20-25 mile cycling routine 3 times a week. As soon as I take off my synthetic riding shirt after a ride, I don a 150-gram merino ultralight base layer AND a medium-weight hoodie until my body temp stabilizes; then peel them off accordingly.

13. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

0dBm, honestly nothing special. It's mostly castelli and pearl izumi.

Combine good, wicking fabrics with athletic exertion and hydration, then stop on a hot/humid day, and it apparently causes problems.

The day I got mild hypothermia was our "fail ride"...5 flats between 2 people on a 30 mile ride. We ran out of stuff to fix them and had somebody with a pickup come pick us up in a parking lot instead of potentially getting stranded somewhere harder to find.

I ended up riding laps in a parking lot while waiting because my body temperature had dropped to 95F from my normal cool off...then turned on the heater in the car.

Thank goodness for backpackers with disposable thermometers...I had no idea what was going on.

14. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I'm curious what synthetics you were wearing that retained body odor.

15. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Under Armor garments mostly.

16. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Mine definitely don't take as many days as merino.

17. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Doesn't all wool require special laundry care? Gentle wash and cool dry and all that? Because we're so busy, we often forget the laundry in the dryer. Hence all the :censored: shrinking of a lot of clothes except the nylon fabrics of course.

18. [digidude].

[digidude]. Loaded Pockets

I've been impressed with the capabilities of Merino, but I have concerns about the durability, I bought a 200 weight shirt which has been fine soo far, then I bought a 150 weight shirt and in less then a week I discovered a hole on the back of the shirt. I'm wondering if its due to the lighter weight, perhaps I should stick to 200+ from now on? I'm using thees as regular day-to-day shirts, nothing strenuous.

19. Allan Regstrup

Allan Regstrup Loaded Pockets

I have had Merino shirts in both 150, 200 and 250 weight and my experience is the same as yours with 150.

So now I never buy anything lighter than 200, because they don't wear out the same way as 150

20. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I'll have to try a 200+, because none of my merino survived the summer.