1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Med Kit Lighting?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Djs105, Oct 26, 2015.

1. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Head lamp, you are going to need all the hands free as you can get when :censored:. Alternative could be something with a tail magnet like Olight S1.

sungame likes this.
  2. Timlugia

Timlugia Loaded Pockets

One thing about light is that don't use red or blue only lights for low light medical scenario, you would have difficulty finding blood on clothes due to wavelength
    Use either green or blue+red combination light if low light is somehow desired.

thekapow likes this.
  3. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I do not keep lights in my FAKS, as I keep them just about everywhere else. That means I almost always have at least one light at hand anyway.

However, if I were to keep a dedicated light in one of my kits, I would definitely get a head lamp. As thekapow points out, you will need your hands free in just about any scenario involving a first aid kit.

Something like the Pezl Zipka might be ideal, as it is rather cheap, takes standard AAA batteries, provides more than enough light, and, above all, is compact enough to keep in a medium to large FAK.

thekapow likes this.
  4. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Loaded Pockets

I keep a small Rayovac metal bodied pen light (same kind i carry at work) and a few green chemlights in my FAK that i keep in the car.

thekapow likes this.
  5. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

i have an old headlamp retired from camping use and a couple of cheap button lights as backups. the button lights are small and light enough to be held between the teeth for extended periods of time if someone else is assisting.

thekapow likes this.
  6. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

In the big bags (Obviously along with exam lights oto/ophthalmoscopes). I like the floody Zebra light headlights, there are also some full size and mini chem lights. The latter are used more as comfort lights, triage and to mark safe routes hazards etc; but they can also be used by other responders or as area lights.
    In smaller kits the petzl elites are tiny, cheap and useful as backup anyway.

thekapow and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  7. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

Fenix HL25 headlamp and a chemlight are in my car FAK. I have an older Fenix headlamp and 4 chemlights in my home FAK.

thekapow likes this.
  8. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

Fenix E20. I stick with AA lights except for my keychain light, the Klarus Mi02 AAA x 1. I can put it in my mouth and still talk ok for hands free use. A tube flashlight just fits better in my Maxpedition organizers then a headlight does.

thekapow likes this.
  9. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

Putting things that you have handled in your mouth at a first aid scene is not to be recommended.

10. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Guess what im teaching my new volunteers right now :D
    [​IMG]

PragmaticMurphyist, VinnyP and gazz98 like this.
  11. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

Very good point and I certainly wasn't trying to recommend that method. I have yet to have a situation where I had to put in my mouth to hold it steady. Like a lot of folks, I want to carry more items then I have cubic inches for so there is a tradeoff. I have tried to avoid carrying things that don't fit well into pouches or a selection of flashlights that require several different size batteries. I should rethink the E20 for FAK use and find something other then a headlight for hands free use.

12. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thought about a zebralight with double functionality? [​IMG]

13. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

Actually, I have looked at those. My first thought was a tube type flashlight with a pivoting/movable head. I wear glasses and almost always have some type of hat/cover on (protection from the elements and to keep rain off my glasses) which is why I'm not a huge fan of headlights. I have tried flashlights with a clip on them and tried clipping to them my hat but unless its a baseball with a stiff brim, meh. I'll just start looking thru the AA headlamp choices and put the zebralight on the list. The Nitecore HA20 and Fenix HP01 seem nice too. Thanks for the recommendations and comments.

14. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

Nitecore has a Tube style headlamp that is designed to be used as a headlamp, clip on or free standing light. Same 2/45 lumen rechargeable

15. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Nite Ize, Klarus, and a few others make an elastic/Velcro headband with a rubber/elastic loop so you can mount any flashlight in it and make it a headlight. An easy fix for about $5-6 and since its a Velcro/elastic band, it stores flat. No need to get another light. Thanks all.