1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mechanical Watches

Discussion in 'Watches' started by MarineLEO, Jun 16, 2018.

1. MarineLEO

MarineLEO Loaded Pockets

So I am looking for a new watch specifically a self winding watch. I love the Rolex Submariner but cant and probably never will be able to afford one. I would love to find a rugged watch that is similar. I would love it to have a uni-directional bezel but that isn’t critical. To me the only thing that is critical is self winding. I like the visceral feel of winding the watch much like I like driving my manual car. Due to my job being hands on it needs to be rugged. I would like to stay under $1000 if I could but would spend more for a good watch. Any advice would be great!

#1 MarineLEO, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Love my Marathon!
    I think it checks all your boxes?[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 EZDog, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Nick4305 likes this.
  3. Davidka

Davidka Loaded Pockets

Checkout Steinhart Ocean for a high quality Sub lookalike.

Gary Gross likes this.
  4. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

take a look at Hamilton watches, are awesome and have watches with bezels too
    they are a brand from Omega, just like Tudor is a brand from Rolex
    most Hamilton's you can be under a $1,000.00

5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Many Seiko 'dive' watches are automatics. At the low end of the price range there is the Seiko 5 Sports dive watch, aka 'Sea Urchin' SNZF15 (this one has a blue face with blue/red bezel; there is a black version SNZH57). These are around $130~$150. With your budget you could easily move into a better grade of Seiko manual. Perennially popular are the SKX007 and SKX009; these are just under $200 at Amazon. A search on Amazon for 'Seiko automatic dive watches for men' will yield a couple of pages of results.

Disclaimer: I am an unabashed fan of Seiko manuals... of the Seiko 5 Sports family! :)

L'chaim and let us see what you end up with!

Moshe ben David

Adam Ng and ak415 like this.
  6. MarineLEO

MarineLEO Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the advise so far. I looked at the Seikos and did like them but I don’t like that they are all quartz watches. If they make a model that isn’t quartz that would be in the running. I checked out the Marathon watches and loved everything except the dang auto wind. Ive never been a fan of auto winding watches, I want to wind the watch every day or every other day by hand like with the Rolex. The Hamilton watches were the same, the ones I loved all had the auto wing function.

7. Devon Scout

Devon Scout Loaded Pockets

I’ve two Seiko automatics, both baby monsters. Excellent watches, one has the feature of manual wind too. I’ve also. Couple of Orient, the orient being a company owned by Seiko and at the cheaper end of the market, but decent enough watches. Also have an Oris Big Crown, few years old but a lovely watch.

I’ve also a few quartz, Christoper Ward, Mondaine, Seiko and Casio, all great watches. I often wear a different watch each day or the same for a few days, the quartz do have that convenience of being ready to go.

But I must say I do like an auto, there’s something about a “beating heart”. Good luck with your watch hunt and I hope you enjoy what you go with.

8. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

If you really want that sub and already have 1000 set aside for a watch, save your money and buy it in a few years. In the meantime, get a cheaper beater watch that you like and has an own distinctive look and that doesn't look like a wannabe rolex. Just my two cents.

Seiko5 sports or skx or orient mako are good mechanical waterproof watches with bezel to measure time. They are cheap and good mechanical beaters. Or maybe check out out the invicta pro diver. Can be had around 100 bucks and looks a bit like a sub.

But if you really want the real deal, why spend 1000 on something that's only similar? Better get a cheap but distinctive beater, enjoy it, and save more money for a few years. Your tastes and interests might evolve during that time.

Cant help you with hand winding recommendations, though. Maybe check out a dedicated watch forum.

Last edited by flux, Jun 19, 2018
    #8 flux, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Moshe ben David and keycutter like this.
  9. Robw1975

Robw1975 Empty Pockets

I can vouch for the Steiharts I own five and love them all.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

Orient Ray II has handwinding and auto, hacking seconds, shows day and date and looks pretty good. And looks more classic than the orient mako2 with no numeral indices. Comes with a steel bracelet. 200 bucks. If I hadnt just bought a skx173, I would go for that one for sure.

#10 flux, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  11. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

I’ve had an Armida A4 with ETA movement for a couple years now and love it.

12. Moshe ben David

I confess. I'm confused. Your initial post said self-winding; your second one seems to contradict. Perhaps its terminology; for many of us 'self-winding' and 'automatic winding' are synonymous. FWIW, Seiko is a leading manufacturer of auto/self winding watches, as many of the above posts indicate. Add in Orient (subsidiary of Seiko) and you have a lot of choices -- and these have decades of demonstrated reliability in the field. Not to disparage other manufacturers necessarily.

Your biggest challenge may just be to decide which you are most attracted to.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Passin' Through likes this.
  13. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Like Moshe ben David says, it seems to be some mix up in terminology here.

"An automatic or self-winding watch is a mechanical watch in which the mainspring is wound automatically as a result of the natural motion of the wearer to provide energy to run the watch, making manual winding unnecessary. A mechanical watch which is neither self-winding nor electrically driven is called a manual watch. Most mechanical watches manufactured today are self-winding."
    -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_watch

Being a small wristed person, my wrist size pretty much dictates which watches I consider.
    A great line of mid sized automatic watches that is inspired by early Tudor and Rolex dive watches are the NTH dive watches. They all share the 40mm case and are only 11.5mm thick. Upon their release a few years back they were the thinnest 300m certified mechanical dive watch. Each model is named after a historical submarine class. I have the Näcken modern blue, which I like a lot, but in hindsight I wish I've gotten the black.
    http://www.janistrading.com/nacken-modern-black/
    Be aware, this watch will grow on you, and you might not even care to upgrade.

If a manual wind is really what your after, Hamilton has just released an "updated" version of the Khaki Field Mechanical. The new release is a reproduction of the original military issue, which makes it even more interesting than the previous model, I think.
    https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-int/h69429931-khaki-field-mechanical.html
    at 38mm it's a small watch (compared to most), so you have to be OK with that. The lugs are quite long so it still requires some wrist size though. I have 6 1/4" and it's pushing the limit. 6 1/2" - 7" is probably the sweet spot for this one.

Most importantly, before you get a mechanical watch, you should be aware that they are all infected, and you are exposing yourself to serious risk of catching the watch addiction.
    So my last word of advice is: don't do this. Don't get into watches. You can read perfectly good time off your phone.

14. Moshe ben David

awww.... what fun would there be in that? We may have to revoke your 'Enablers are us' member card! LOL

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

aicolainen likes this.
  15. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I'm using a Seiko 7S36-03J0 automatic wristwatch. No bezel, but it does have the day/date display. See https://www.edcforums.com/threads/looking-for-advice-new-automatic-wristwatch.137912/page-2#post-2647099. It's not a bad watch at all, although it tends to lose maybe 45 seconds a day (mainly because I take it off at night). Cost less than 200 quid. Accepts 22mm straps, so you can always do what I do, and change the strap on a whim with a differently coloured one to suit different (social) settings (I've got scarlet, blaze orange, and olive green ;) ).

ran23 and Moshe ben David like this.
  16. Colty0045

Colty0045 Empty Pockets

All Rolex models on the market today are self/auto winding. There are not many watches outside of very high end that are manual wind.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  17. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Loaded Pockets

How about an Oris Aquis?

What are your accuracy requirements? It seems that you need to spend lots of money to get a mechanical watch close to a quartz watch. Do you care about a sweep seconds hand, you could look at Bulova for quartz with a sweeping hand.

18. dalewa

dalewa Loaded Pockets

Might I suggest that you visit a website "Uncrate" and look for the watches . They have a watch that is self winding and under $500.00
    It has a grey bezel and a Japanese Movement. It is made by the Vague Watch Co.

19. rcw357

rcw357 Loaded Pockets

Lots of german watches meet this. Damasko, laco, stowa, sinn muhle, etc...

Look at the archimede outdoor.

20. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

All so look at the tissot mechanical.

Jake