1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mechanical Pencils

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Outbound, Dec 5, 2019.

1. camjr

camjr Loaded Pockets

I prefer a plain old Pentel P205. I've had the same pencil since 1983. No reason to change. I'm wondering how long the thing will go at this point...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

chaosmagnet likes this.
  2. Durandal64

Durandal64 Loaded Pockets

I just started using a mechanical pencil for bullet journaling. Got a rOtoring Rapid Pro 0.7mm. Not sure where this thing lands on the overall quality scale but I am sure impressed.

GRH, Moshe ben David and xevious like this.
  3. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

rOtring Rapid Pro is top notch. It's heavy, but quality.

Durandal64 and Moshe ben David like this.
  4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Rotring are among the top notch in mp! Enjoy.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

5. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I just bought a Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5mm. Seems to be a nicely made writing tool for under $12 US.

GRH and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  6. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

My personal favourite! Enjoy!

J_C likes this.
  7. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

My purchase of it was influenced by your post earlier in this thread (after doing some additional research).

For Christmas, I was gifted a set of inexpensive but quite functional 2.0 mm lead holders, along with an assortment of black and colored leads, which require use of a lead sharpener. Interesting things, perhaps more suited to sketching and drawing, but not so much for precise writing unless I want to do a lot of sharpening.

The Uni has a nice feel, a suitably "techy" look, and was a reasonable price. I think I still prefer fountain pens and ballpoints for general writing, but the Uni is getting its fair share of paper time, and certainly erases better than the former.

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  8. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Why thank you! I'm happy to have enabled the separation of you from some of your disposable income! (Gawd knows others have done the same to me often enough on this forum!) ;) :D

Moshe ben David, J_C, xevious and 3 others like this.
  9. Till

Till Empty Pockets

I also have the Uni, and I bought a second one in red for marking up electrical drawings at work. But in my shirt pocket I carry a Parker Jotter pen and Pencil. Maybe not the best but they take a licking. Just don’t stick them in live electrical panels.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xevious and Moshe ben David like this.
  10. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Exact reason why I quit carrying metal pens and the such in my shirt pockets at work. I've seen first hand when the metal lid of a snuff can hits a 480 bus bar from way too close.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  11. Till

Till Empty Pockets

I let a guy borrow it to mark a hole that we were about to knock out. It touched one of the 120v bus bars in the panel, and the lock ring. It marked it alright. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

I have the Rotring 600 on my desk and the Rapid Pro in my field message book. I really liked the UNI Kuru Toga but after breaking a few I switched to the Rotrings.

xevious and chaosmagnet like this.
  13. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

So many good options these days. My default recommendation for the average pencil user is the Pentel Sharp Kerry. It is an excellent introduction to quality mechanical pencils and it's guaranteed to be different from anything they've ever used before.

However, if you're looking for something a little different, I highly recommend you get a 2mm lead holder. I use several, but my personal recommendation is to go to Michael's and get the Staedtler Mars Technico that comes with a tube of HB lead. Also buy the rotary sharpener since using the sharpener built into the pencil can get messy.

xevious and echo victor like this.