1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mechanical Pencils

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Outbound, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

Any suggestions for a great mechanical pencil? I've just been using cheapo Staedtlers, Bics, etc. I've love to see if there are better ones out there and what you all like.

Any chance we have a pencil thread???

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

In terms of value I rate Pentel very high, especially their Sharp P20x series (x = 5 for 0.5 mm; x=7 for 0.7 mm; x=9 for 9mm). Only problem is the metal tube at the end doesn't retract which can be a bother.

Pentel also have a variety of more upscale mp; I am particularly fond of their GraphGear series. The Pentel Sharp Kerry is a compact unit with cap that is removable and then posts which is great in pocket.

Hard to go wrong with products from Faber Castell; Rotring; or Retro 51 (who make what is basically a copy of Rotring; they're in Texas).

One aggravating thing with heavy use of mp is that sometimes during use the end of the lead tends to flatten out to form an oval writing tip. An interesting solution to this are mp with 'rotating leads' from Uni Kuru Toga.

Most all of what I've described are easily found at places like Staples or Office Depot. Most on-line pen shops offer a variety of mp; but I have found that JetPens ( www.jetpens.com ) offer a wider selection than many. California based; superb service with very good pricing IMHO.

Surprisingly, you'll also find vigorous discussion on this topic over at Fountain Pen Network ( http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/ ).

Hope this is useful for you!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

3. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

At the risk of being flamed to a cinder, I don't personally like the Pentel P205. Others rate it highly though.

I second the Uni Kuru Toga, especially the Roulette version. If you pocket carry and don't want to stab yourself(!) then the Kerry is a decent option, but I prefer the Pentel Graphgear 1000.

os2soliz and Moshe ben David like this.
  4. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

To quote from the book of Van Halen: "I dropped my pencil"

Gerald Sapatka Jr. and os2soliz like this.
  5. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Tactile Turn is my fave.

Outbound likes this.
  6. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

Good stuff, thanks! I'll have look at the ones mentioned here. :)

7. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I'd be interested in hearing your opinions of what you try and seeing what you settle on for your use cases.

Outbound and Moshe ben David like this.
  8. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

Will do! It might be a bit, but I'll update here once I've tried a few.

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  9. ffmedic245

ffmedic245 Loaded Pockets

I've been using Pentel Quicker Clickers literally since high school (so pushing 30 years) and I can't imagine using anything else. I prefer the 0.5mm to the 0.7mm.

10. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

There are so many choices possible given the open ended inquiry, that it's unlikely to give a meaningful recommendation. You may want to initially set a budget. Decide on lead diameter (0.3 mm, 0.5 mm, 0.7 mm, etc.). And any particular features, such as lead rotation, tip protection, etc. Also, your intended usage, as that will affect the requirement on pipe guide length.

Lastly, one of the best places to visit is Reddit.com/r/mechanicalpencils.

Outbound and Moshe ben David like this.
  11. wvriverats

wvriverats Empty Pockets

I love mechanical pencils and by far the best I have come by are the Rite-in-the-Rain pencils. They sell for about 10 bucks, have huge erasers, flawless lead advance, and the leads last forever without breaking.

Outbound and chaosmagnet like this.
  12. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I sure do like these as well.

13. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

There was one thread that has a few possibly relevant replies, and my reply's over yonder.

:cool:

14. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

xevious likes this.
  15. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

Modern day mechanical pencils are impressive in a number of respects. The newer technologies for lead management & protection are useful. But I can't help to be drawn by the designs from days past.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Frankly, they're more or less collectibles. My modern day rOtring 800 with retractable tip works brilliantly and is very rugged.

But considering what's available today, the Pentel P200 series is a bargain legend. It has been around since the late 1970's. Mechanism is super reliable. Enough that a bespoke mechanical pencil company, Spoke Design, made beautifully hand crafted bodies to house that mechanism.

[​IMG]
    It even comes with a terrific desk stand that's small, portable, and does a great job of securing your pencil when not in use.

16. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

These two have lived in my desk drawer for about 25 years. Haven't seen much use in that time. Prior to that I actually used them to make drawings...

[​IMG]

Not sure where my grey .7mm Koh-i-noor ever went.

Moco, HeadOffice and Moshe ben David like this.
  17. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

Rotring 600 ... This one is approx. 30 years old ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by dischu, Dec 14, 2019
    #17 dischu, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  18. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

I got a Zebra mechanical pencil lately. M701. Except for a black plastic ring near the clicky it looks just like the stainless zebra ballpen I have. nice.

I also got a super tiny Zebra mechanical pencil from amazon for a couple bucks (under 5), the TS3-Mini. Also stainless and it is so small and thin that it fits comfortably in my credit card sized bifold leather wallet. Comes with lead and even an eraser. So I will aways have this with me. I wont write a ton with this of course, but I really like it. I dont feel it is in my wallet and sitting on it wont break it. Awesome.

I broke so many plastic mechanical pencils, I just thought it is time to get a metal pen.

I really like the Zebras and they are very affordable.

Last edited by flux, Dec 14, 2019
    #18 flux, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  19. Pavetski

Pavetski Loaded Pockets

Bought myself a Uni Kuru Toga in college and it ruined me. After using that rotating lead system I haven't been able to use any other mechanicals.
    Roulette was the model if I remember correctly, nice robust almost all aluminum construction.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

20. usk15

usk15 Loaded Pockets

I've got this ones, but I'm using Uniball Pure Malt 0.5 with Pilot G-Neox 2B lead mainly for quick drawings.

[​IMG]

WillAdams, xevious, peli1984 and 2 others like this.