1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mechanical Pencil Choices?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Theskyiscrying, Sep 27, 2016.

1. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I know you've asked about "mechanical pencils", so I won't belabor the point, but as a pencil person; I strongly recommend you try some wooden pencils.

If you've ever walked into a house with natural wood cabinets, or anything of the like; natural wooden (cedar especially) pencils will just make your heart sing.

No, they don't fit in your pocket well (well, some do), but it doesn't matter. Once you learn how magical wooden pencils are (with their 10 coats of lacquer paint and the smell of the cedar when they're sharpened...you'll never go back. Oh, and they don't poke a hole in your pocket unless you let them!

Honestly, you've never felt joy until you've used a "real" pencil.

P.S. Yes, you sharpen them, and they slowly go away, but that's the best part...they age with you, and what you write. Anyone can do math (Gawd knows I've done a lot), but I always had way more "amor" for a wood pencil than a mechanical....just saying.

Tonight I will be using a Mitsu-bishi HI-UNI "F" lead to make journal entries. Don't need to sharpen it much, it writes forever (better than me). No eraser on the pencil, and that's even better. True art.

Try one once; you won't regret it! I'll even send you a couple if you like.

Just let me know.

ecksdog and tbzbbt like this.
  2. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I love all the options people are suggesting in this thread. I'm currently using a .9mm Pentel Twist Erase. Not the best overall, but it writes well, almost never breaks lead, and has a great eraser.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  3. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

Do you fiddle with all the available adjustments or do you just set it the way you like and leave it that way?

--flatline

4. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

I adjust it depending on what I'm doing, writing or drawing, freehand or stencil.

5. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

I adjust it depending on what I'm doing, writing or drawing, freehand or stencil.

6. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

I've been enjoying the Kuru Toga line lately. Rotates the lead a bit with every lift of the pencil. Less breakage, good line consistency. Roulette is the nicer body, but if you want the retracting metal sleeve around the lead, then the Pipe Slide model is what you want. I wonder if the tips are interchangeable? Then you could get the slide feature on the Roulette, but have to buy two pencils to do it.

WillAdams likes this.
  7. camporama

camporama Loaded Pockets

I've been looking at a TWSBI precision. All I need to do is pull the trigger.

8. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

If I buy another spendy pencil, it will probably be the TWSBI Precision in 0.5mm...it looks pretty sweet, but I just can't bring myself to get another pencil. I've got too many already.

--flatline

9. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Are worth it I should say. Nice solid feel. Here the 0,7 with retractable sleeve next to a Pentel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water-Rat likes this.
  10. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

Rotring Rapid Pro 0.7mm inbound

11. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I've got the Rotring Rapid Pro 0.5mm and it's excellent. With a little practice, you can control how far the sleeve extends.

--flatline

T Shrapnel-Carruthers likes this.
  12. Zargon

Zargon Loaded Pockets

My 2 cents, I have a Rotring 600 and its a brilliant pencil, nicely weighted and holds an absurd amount of lead, only downside is the metal "spike" out the front (On the 800 that is retractable).

T Shrapnel-Carruthers likes this.