1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Mecarmy MOT10, flashlight with benefits

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by HappyGilmore, Dec 29, 2018.

1. HappyGilmore

HappyGilmore Loaded Pockets

Mecarmy MOT10

[​IMG]

I've been using this flashlight for about 2 months as part of my EDC and it may be the most useful addition to date. What makes this flashlight so different is the ability to charge other devices with ANY charging cable. I use it to charge my One+ 6T regularly and instead of needing to charge the flashlight I can simply switch the 18650 battery with a new one from my charger at home. Is it a big flashlight? Yep. However, it is the smallest flashlight with the capability of easily charging other devices on the go.

Forget a spare power bank. This flashlight is a beast.

Cheers,
    HG

2. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Interesting, I wouldn't say that it's actually that big either, my TN 12 is longer for example.

3. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

4. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Looks good but personally I'm not so sure about having to get into yet another different battery type.

5. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

There are sleeves available for adapting 18650s to 21700s, though yes doesn't make much sense unless intend to migrate over.

6. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Thanks, I never even knew about the sleeve thing. I have other flashlights that can take two different sizes batteries but the extension tube/attachment needs to be present, for an EDC light I find this to be a pain/problem,....this is one reason why I love my recently bought Rofis R2, it runs with the more powerful/longer run time 14500 battery out of the box which is my preferred option but it will also take an AA just by unscrewing the tail cap.

7. HappyGilmore

HappyGilmore Loaded Pockets

Cool flashlight but it is bigger than the MOT10 but most importantly u need a proprietary cable to charge any device. What makes the MOT10 so great is that it has a USB 2 for charging anything and a micro USB to be charged.

If u lose that cable you are SOL.

8. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Do you know if flat top 18650's work in this light or will only the positive 'nipple' ones work?

9. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

It's not a proprietary cable, it's a USB OTG cable.

Though would have preferred a USB-C version.

Last edited by Ren, Dec 30, 2018
    #9 Ren, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  10. ace19636

ace19636 Loaded Pockets

I do like the idea of a flashlight/power bank combo but I use my power banks too much thus I would always have a dead flashlight I do carry this little USB light that can plug into my power bank turning it into a flashlight and that's good enough for me lol [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

11. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

That's a good question. I was kind of curious, myself; so I looked at the MecArmy website, to see what I could find.

Hopefully, it's okay to post the manufacturer's website link here (since there is no pricing or affiliation with any distributors carrying the light - just the manufacturer's info).
    http://www.mecarmy.com/product/details/118/162

They don't make mention of whether or not button tops are necessary. But, they also don't mention anything about reverse polarity protection, which is generally the only instance in which button top batteries are required, since flat tops won't usually be able to make the connection, even if inserted properly (with the positive tip at the head of the light.

Actually, if you look on their website, you can find a picture of the light, with a 2600 mAh 18650 button top battery next to the light; so I guess that answers that question.

In some instances, with the use of flat tops, because of the shorter battery length, you have to actually stretch the springs to make contact. More pictures reveal that there are springs, on both ends of the light.

Seems like a nice light, for the money, feature-wise. My only negative comment is based on the funky greenish tint found in their pictures. I'm very picky about tints (prefer neutral to warmer tints, or, if using a cool white light, more pure white, with no signs of green, blue, or purple in the beam.

Also, the stated run time on high, with a 18650 is respectable; but I doubt it can sustain that output for more than few minutes at a time, before stepping down the output substantially. Most lights are designed with this safety feature, to avoid burning up the electronics. Very few high powered compact lights of this size can maintain that kind of output for more than few moments or minutes, at a time, before step-down occurs.

#11 david57strat, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  12. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Ah, I assumed that you already owned one of them. Lol

You've done a fair amount of research, will you be buying one or not??

13. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

After looking at the pictures, on their website, I won't be getting one. I don't like the tint. Too green-ish, for my taste.

If they make a light with a neutral tint, or they start using cool white emitters from a higher bin, I might consider it; but that would probably drive their costs up, so I kind of doubt it'll ever happen.

14. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Fair enough, I've kind of stuck with a cool white tint in the majority of my lights so I doubt that I'll be getting one either.