1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

me and mechanical pencils

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by photomic, Nov 26, 2007.

1. pu1869

pu1869 Empty Pockets

Good to see that there are still people who look for a good Pencil.
    I started my love for a good pencil when I took drafting in high school. Then it college I used pencil for taking notes and that is when my addiction started to get out of hand. I would buy almost every pencil that the book store would stock. One of my favorites was a Stadtler Chubster, it used to make my laugh every time I used it.

My collection includes the following:

1. Pentel pg1505 0.5mm <In use>
    2. Pilot h-2105 0.5mm <In use>
    3. Pentel Graphgrear 1000 0.9mm < In Use>
    4. Pilot Shaker 0.5mm < retired>
    5. STAEDTLER® Mars® Draft ( 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, 0.9) < retired>
    6 KOH-I-NOOR Rapidomatic ( 0.5 0.7) < retired>
    7. Pentel Sharp Kerry 0.5mm < EDC bag)>
    8. Pentel Classic Deluxe 0.5mm and 0.7mm < Retired>

I think that i will check out these Ohtos as I am always looking for a new addition.

Now let go and get the Lead out!! ( :mad: bad joke I know, but it had to be said)

2. nyckmc

nyckmc Loaded Pockets

pu1869 is right The pentel kerry sharp is excellent...

I used many of the kohinoor mechanicals, in 3 5 and 7 then I used a rotring 600.
    in 5mm for a few years as well. I also found some tombow lead holders that were really nice..

Then I switched to a Pentel kerry Sharp better balance and must feels smoother for lack of a better word
    I did not use the Rotring after that .

Pentel kerry sharpyou can see one here.

kmc

3. samson722

samson722 Empty Pockets

Staedtler Mars Draft
    Staedtler Mars-Technico 780
    Caran d'Ache Metal-X 2mm
    Namiki Vanish Point 0.5mm
    Papermate Pro Touch II 0.9mm
    Alvin Draftec (0.3,0.5,0.7,0.9)
    Alvin Draftec/Retrac

I love me some good mechanical pencils. For those of you in technical drawing, what's your favorite hardness for everyday use?

4. samson722

samson722 Empty Pockets

Anyone have any feedback on Ohto stuff? I really have an appreciation for Japanese made writing instruments. Let me explain. German engineering really paved the way for a lot of these products. However, it can be expensive to produce the physical product in Germany. So, what a lot of companies are doing is submitting their designs and specifications to top notch Japanese manufacturers. On the whole, the products come out with exemplary fit and and finish. When all is said and done, I still prefer European made writing instruments, but unlike some, I won't turn away from what seems like a high quality product just because it's assembled or manufactured in Japan. What do you think?

EDIT: Anyone know of any outstanding vanish-point mech pencils (other than the Namiki/Pilot)? I have several Alvins that are solid performers and cheap enough, but not very durable. Ideas?

Cheers!

5. roo

roo Empty Pockets

thanks for the advice on the papermate pro touch. I have 2 now and love them.

6. Timbokhan

Timbokhan Loaded Pockets

7. chris777

chris777 Loaded Pockets

If only every pencil were a shaker

It would take me some time to go through my own list. Though I only have a few that run over $10
    I bought a sharp kerry at an art store recently and noticed I missed a 30% off coupon after I left, Doh

My big issue now is hand pain, and my never ending quest for an ultimate pencil.
    I am rotating 4 or more each time I try to take notes, or draw.

I recently repaired my first shaker with some heat shrink tubing, and modified it with a grip off of a pentel flexfit.

as for good pencils I am in a constant search lol.

8. wutzu

wutzu Empty Pockets

I've had the Alvin Draftec (.3, .5) and a Pentel Graphgear 500 (.3)
    Right now all I use is my Alvin Draftec/Retrac (.3 ) and a Pentel P207 (.7)

9. climberkid

climberkid Empty Pockets

alrght, you all convinced me, i just bought a rotoring 600 black 0.5 lead. a friend of mine has one and i absolutely love it. :roof:

10. TNRonin

TNRonin Loaded Pockets

Re: pu1869 is right The pentel kerry sharp is excellent...

I whole heartedly agree! I bought one back in 1986 and used it into the 90's. I lost it somewhere and couldn't find any locally. I found some at Jetpens and immediately snatched up another. I love this pencil, well balanced and like you said, smooth!

Mitch

11. Twitchy

Twitchy Loaded Pockets

:iagree: I've got one in 5mm (silver, old school knurled grip), and a matching fountain pen. Also managed to get a sweet leather etui (Rotring branded, of course) which looks a lot like a cigar case. Very solid, timeless design.

12. sandbasser

sandbasser Loaded Pockets

I just got a silver old-style Rotring 600 from an eBay seller in Michigan. Ultra quick service from this seller. The pencil is incredible - now I suppose I'll have to get more... Somebody help me :slap: :slap:

13. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

Another mechanical pencil junkie here. Have several Zebra M301s, Pentels and Sanford Clicksters.

14. Brickout

Brickout Loaded Pockets

After reading this thread I decided to pick up an Ohto Super Promecha 0.5 for my upcoming Architecture class.

Last night I got to use it for the first time...I couldn't be happier!

It was a lot lighter than I expected it to be. But after using it for a while I found it to be very comfortable.

After taking notes and sketching for 3 hours I'd say I'm sold on it.

15. PeaceOfMind

PeaceOfMind Loaded Pockets

I'm a devoted fan of the Zebra M301 - flawless stainless steel finish, made in Japan. It's beautiful.
    http://www.zebrapen.com/images/pencil-m301.jpg

Although I only like the original M301, I don't like the new "M301 Ultra"

16. sdecp

sdecp Empty Pockets

I am very happy with the Rotring 600. I purchased the Rotring 600 FP and RB, but I learned why I really loved the BP and pencils. I am a fan of slim writing instruments and the FP and RB are relatively larger and not as comfortable for my writing style.

17. Patriot

Patriot Empty Pockets

I have the entire set of Rotring 600 in black "lava" (pen, roller ball, pencil, fountain pen. Upon changing the refill, something happened and now will not work. Anybody know where I can get it repaired?

18. autopoint

autopoint Loaded Pockets

I maintain a modest collection of pre-current-batch staedtler marsmicros, 0.5 and 0.7, 775s and otherwise (not all pictured)
    [​IMG]
    My favorite pencils, by far, in their price range. Great look, weight and feel, and I prefer the 0.5 diameter. The eraser refills are too small/expensive, but I always carry/use a separate eraser anyway.

I agree about the current production run not holding the same visual appeal. I miss the collegiate colors—where once you could visit a college campus art supplier and find 'rare' colors/combinations based on those of the school.

19. autopoint

autopoint Loaded Pockets

20. photomic

photomic Loaded Pockets

That, sir, is a great collection O0