1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

McGizmos...

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by nwjavahead, Mar 7, 2015.

1. nwjavahead

nwjavahead Loaded Pockets

....talk to me in simple terms please the options and models that are out there? Please and thanks...

hal_chase likes this.
  2. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Modular light system...

Choose battery pack.

Choose voltage / driver.

Choose LED emitter.

Choose reflector/optic/bezel type.

Send eMail...

Enjoy :D

Blerv, cowsmilk and Puinsai like this.
  3. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Battery pack = 1xAA, 2xAA, 1xCR123A, 2x CR123A

Voltage = 1.5v, 3v, 6v

LED = XML, XPG2, Nichia

Model = Mule, SunDrop, Haiku, Makai, (other specialized types include Aqua/Terra Ram, and others)

hal_chase and Puinsai like this.
  4. nwjavahead

nwjavahead Loaded Pockets

Ok, so far I am looking at; 1x or 2x CR123A, with Nichia...care to explain the voltage and models? And thanks for the help! archimedes I do not know much about lights, but I loved my two Muyshondts (now only one) and peak; both using Nichia

archimedes and hal_chase like this.
  5. 4rmless
    • In Omnia Paratus

4rmless Loaded Pockets

Subbed, think I want a cr123 Nichia Sundrop, but more info is good.

Bowman1911, archimedes and hal_chase like this.
  6. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Titanium

hal_chase likes this.
  7. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

archimedes is a great resource. ;)

Do you want to spotlight something in the distance, see everything at once, or somewhere in between?

The mule (no reflector) is a great floody beam light, or see everything at once light. Not great for distance spotting.

The sundrop is in between a floody beam light and a throwy beam light, has more beam distance than the mule and more beam flood than a haiku.

The haiku is a great spotlight for seeing things at a distance. Very little flood beam.

The makai is an even better spotlight than the haiku, but is not as pocketable due to the bigger diameter reflector.

The voltage question I'll leave to archimedes, but the 1.5v only applies to the 1xAA light. It's a special light module designed to work with AA batteries only (hence the 1.5v designation).

Have fun picking one out!

8. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Thanks cowsmilk & nwjavahead !

Browsing for beamshots over at CPF is probably the easiest way to try to decide on which type might best suit your purposes, especially if you are not familiar with the jargon ... terms like mule, hotspot, sidespill, lux, lumens, candela, etc, etc.

Great description of beamshapes above. I also think of the differences in terms of distance. For a (very rough) guide ...

* Mule is great for arms-length tasks
    * SunDrop for uses 1-6 feet in distance
    * Haiku is optimal from perhaps 1-25 yards away
    * Makai is best for over 10 yards and into the far distance

cowsmilk and hal_chase like this.
  9. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

With your interest in 1x CR123A (approximately 3 volts) or 2x CR123A (approximately 6 volts in series) McClicky Paks, you would choose either the "3v/3s" or the "6v/3s" driver (respectively) for the light engine.

The 6 volt driver produces a higher output (at a higher current draw) on maximum. Of course, the more current is drawn, the faster the batteries are emptied (and the more heat is generated).

These flashlights are not "hotrodded" in stock form, however, even with the higher voltage / higher current drivers. Output with the Nichia is significant less than with the other emitter options, which is one of the trade-offs involved to get the better color rendering.

The "3s" refers to the "three-speed" selectable output. They were also originally available in a "one-speed" single output, but I don't know if that is still an option or not (and is/was certainly not as popular).

hal_chase and cowsmilk like this.
  10. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

There is some range of overlap in safe operating voltage range for the various drivers, but in the interest of keeping things simple, I have left that aside here.

Note also that McGizmo specifically designs these flashlights to use primary cells, not rechargeables.

The only flashlights he makes which are intended to use a rechargeable Li-Ion battery is his Aqua/Terra series ... the AquaRam, TerraRam, AquaMule, & TerraMule each use an 18650 cell.

hal_chase and cowsmilk like this.
  11. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

... my first, and still favorite, McGizmo ...

hal_chase likes this.
  12. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

hal_chase EDC Junkie!!!!!

Really? :(
    Crap I've just spent the last few months getting all my stuff onto Eneloops, RCR123 and 18650 and now I'm wanting a Haiku :rolleyes:

13. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Lots of people do use rechargeables with them, but it is not officially supported by the maker for these particular flashlights.

Also, using eneloops in the 1xAA Haiku is supported.

hal_chase likes this.
  14. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

hal_chase EDC Junkie!!!!!

so no real risk then?

15. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I don't even like Ti lights but want one now. :( Blerg....thanks Arch :p

archimedes, cowsmilk and hal_chase like this.
  16. KeyGrip

KeyGrip Loaded Pockets

As long as the rechargeable cell you're using doesn't exceed the voltage of the primary. For example I wouldn't use 3.7v LiIons in my PD, I'd have to find 3v to match the cr123 voltage.

hal_chase likes this.
  17. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'll admit that if it were more simple to decode the options and titles I would have had an AA light of Dons a long time ago?

Maybe the way it is ,is a good thing really!

twin63 and hal_chase like this.
  18. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

It's not too hard:
    - choose your battery type.
    - choose your beam profile.
    - choose your LED type
    - send email, pay your monies.

Done. :D

hal_chase likes this.
  19. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Really?!?!?!

I have tried to read the threads on CPF over and over and over and every time I decide I do not want one bad enough to try to decode the layers of things in them,like I already said.

If he had a simple list of options and a clear price sheet things would be a whole lot different for me.

I am not saying that would be the ideal way for him to sell either he is free to market the lights any way he wants to but this buyer is just too confused to choose!
    Hey that rhymes!

quickster47, hal_chase and cowsmilk like this.
  20. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Ironically, I think he originally intended each flashlight model to have no options at all, and was initially released in periodic and limited "waves" of production ... such as, a SunDrop = $440 (or whatever price), in a batch of (say) a dozen or so at a time.

Although he tried to keep things as simple as possible, enthusiasts on CPF kept constantly asking for different emitters, different batteries, etc, etc, and so McGizmo gradually began adding options to accomodate that demand.

Now, most models are available on a continuous rolling basis, and the variety of options has ballooned, along with the complexity. Since these flashlights are modular in design, the ability to mix-&-match parts to customize it to suit your particular needs is one of the best features.

cowsmilk, quickster47 and hal_chase like this.