1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maxpedition

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by ppfd, Aug 30, 2008.

1. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

has left me a little disappointed.

I bought a L.E. Jumbo in the hot new color combo, knowing better as I already owned a Jumbo, I really did not have a need for it.

So I call maxpedition C.S. and ask to return it. The friendly young lady I spoke with stated she will e mail me all instructions and an RMA #. This is one Tuesday August 26, it is now Saturday August 30, and no # and past the dead line to return it. I followed maxpeditions phone and web site instructions, the young lady told me I had 5 more days to return it. And as long as it was post marked in those 5 days all was good.

I will still buy Max gear, no questions about that. The service needs a tune up I think.
    As far as my email, She repeated it back to me, I get about 50 emails a day it seems with no issue and I checked all filters, and junk folders.

She must have forgot as soon as she hung up? :shrug:

victograph and mike92615 like this.
  2. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

UPDATE:

So Tim, president of Maxpedition took notice of my issue and handled it personally. He called me and we discussed the problem of me not getting return information for what ever reason it was. I was able to send the Jumbo back in for full credit back to my credit card. My card was credited today I noticed.

All businesses have customer service issues from time to time. It's how they are handled that is the end result. Tim and Maxpediton took care of mine! O0

Thanks again Tim

3. jnathan

jnathan Loaded Pockets

(Cross posted to ZombieSquad)
    To those who don't know me, I'm a married grown-up sort of guy. I've got a professional career and have been working professionally for just shy of 14 years. I'm prefacing this post with these details to explain that I'm not a teenager sitting at home with absolutely no clue of how the real world works. I've been an entrepreneur and while I would be full of crap if I claimed to know everything about business, I can sincerely say I know a good bit about both the economics and operational aspects of business.

Without further delay, the first installment of the Liger Gunbelt saga:

On October 6th, 2008 I ordered a Maxpedition Liger Gunbelt, making sure to carefully follow the sizing instructions. I even went so far as to ask my wife to double check my measurements. I chose the Liger gunbelt because I'm a pretty big fan of Maxpedition products and I wanted a belt that would last me a long time. On Saturday October 11th the belt was delivered and within 60 seconds of opening the box, I determined it was too small.

On Monday October 13th I called Maxpedition to request an exchange for the next size belt and was told there would be a 25% restocking fee because the belt is a "custom item". Recalling back to when I ordered the belt, I recalled that the belt is listed as being in stock in several sizes. To be sure, I even took a screen shot of their online store just to be sure. I went back and forth with the Customer Service Representative on the phone for a few minutes, highlighting that above else, I followed the sizing instructions on their website carefully and received a belt that didn't fit. I also spent some time explaining that I didn't understand how the belt could be both in stock and at the same time be custom made for each order.

As I spoke with the Customer Service Representative, I also explained that I'm a big fan of Maxpedition products, and that I'm part of the target audience for their products; that I'm on a lot of forums where people are big fans of the products. As we continued to discuss the situation, the Custom Service Representative stated and restated Maxpedition's commitment to customer satisfaction and so I explained that simply allowing me to exchange the belt would go along way to actually demonstrating the commitment. As the call was wrapping up, the Customer Service Representative explained that she would pass the contents of our discussion on to someone who would be able to help me and assured me I would receive a call back. I further explained that I would be busy until the evening of October 15th and that if I didn't hear from anyone by Close Of Business on Monday, they could simply wait until Thursday to contact me.

Unexpectedly, on the evening of October 15th I received an email with an RMA number in it, and a further mention of the 25% restocking fee, which by this time I had been able to verify by viewing the Liger Gunbelt on the Maxpedition website, only after scrolling all the way to the bottom of the page (screen shot available here... note how far the scrollbar is - almost at the bottom of the page. In the spirit of full disclosure, here's the email I received:

Code:

Since I hadn't received a call back and had instead been sent an email, I was upset. So, I wrote an email in response. In the spirit of full disclosure here's the email I sent back to Maxpedition on the evening of October 15th:

Code:

By the afternoon of Thursday October 16th I hadn't received a response, either by phone or by email, so I sent another email:

Code:

By the afternoon of Friday October 17th I hadn't received a call, By this point I had enough, I called Maxpedition and this time spoke to someone named Sheryl. On the phone I gave Sheryl my web order number and for the second time I described the situation. Again I explained that the root cause was a failure in the sizing instructions or perhaps my interpretation of them (despite having double checked the measurements and checking with my wife). And again I was told about the restocking fee, and again I voiced my protests. Sheryl explained that all the belt lengths are cut at the same time, which I said seemed understandable. As we discussed the situation, I expressed that I wasn't sure how this bit of information (which is no different than any other manufacturing process) was relevant to the discussion. Sheryl and I went back and forth for a few minutes, but as I asked about simply exchanging my belt, Sheryl said she didn't want to argue with me and to simply send the belt back and I'd get a full refund. I did protest and say that I'd rather just exchange the belt for the proper size, but Sheryl explained that the 34" black belt won't be in stock for some time and that I should just return the belt and order it when the belt is back in stock. As we wrapped up the call, I reiterated that she would guarantee that I would receive a full refund. Sheryl, perhaps out of exasperation, told me I could send the belt directly to her if I wanted and that I could call back and "get her in trouble" if I didn't get the full refund.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I should explain that I was agitated and again explained that if Maxpedition would simply step up, I'd love to be able to post to EDCF (and other forums) about my great experience with their customer service. I mentioned the promised phone call and the lack of receiving one, but didn't receive any response to this detail. I was professional but curt. Despite attempting to sound sincere about both my appreciation of the products and the desire to write a positive review of my dealing with the Maxpedition Customer Service Representatives, even AFTER dealing with this nonsense, Sheryl apparently thought I was being sarcastic (this might be the result of English not being her first language). Before hanging up, Sheryl found it necessary to tell me she also runs her own forum. (Good for her, I guess.)

After we hung up I attempted to login to the Maxpedition website. But surprisingly, my account was locked. I'm certain there are several possible explanations for this, but in truth I think it's just an attempt to be passive aggressive on their part.

I've packaged the belt to be sent back, carefully following their return instructions and I will update this post once I have any additional information.

On top of what I've already written, this entire situation is made even more frustrating because I'd like to order another Maxpedition bag for a trip I'm taking to Europe with my wife at the end of the year.

The bottom line here is that this is all my account of dealing with Maxpedition, one random sale amongst many others. Those of you who order from Maxpedition should make up your own minds as to whether or not you'll do business with them. I'm not in the business of telling other companies how to do business, I've just never spent so much time trying to get a decent belt.

Personal communication (PMs or e-mails) may NOT be reproduced in a feedback posting without the explicit consent of BOTH parties.

:pt:

JoshTF likes this.
  4. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

I hope you get that fixed. I hate to say it, but you might have to eat the 25%.

If only you can get ahold of someone of a Sales Rep probably would meet a resolution satisfactory to you. EVERYTHING can be overridden in the vein of customer service. It looks like the customer reps are working off of scripted responses and situations. All this over a belt?! I can understand if it was a fitted jacket or something else.

It's back to Maxpedition to see how they handle it. I think you did all you can do without being abrasive or rude.

:luck:

5. jnathan

jnathan Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the support. A few minutes ago I noticed my post was merged with this Maxpedition thread and that's when I noticed ppfd's reply; that Tim had helped him out. Perhaps Tim can do the same for me. I'd like to chalk this up to someone just dropping the ball, and if that's the case I don't see why this situation couldn't be remedied completely. Everyone has bad days, perhaps all of Customer Service had a bad week. Who knows... The belt is on its way back to Maxpedition. The ball is definitely soon to be in their court.

6. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

jnathan, read below. Sounds promising. You may have to be the dissatisfied customer, a jerk even, just for awhile so you can get around the reps and get to an upper-up to resolve.

As for a belt, chute43 is selling some handsome belts waaaay below the Liger. Plenty of satisfied buyers. I'm looking to get another from him.

Willowmaker and jeffmcc like this.
  7. Cryptic

Cryptic Loaded Pockets

You've already sent the belt back, but I would be curious to have heard what the belt's measurements were. Yes, THE BELT. Who here hasn't gone to try out some pants/shirt that is your normal size and suddenly it's HUGE or TINY, but most definitely not your size? :mad:

8. alphazulu

alphazulu Loaded Pockets

a company's response to a customer service request, especially something minor like this, speaks VOLUMES about a company as a whole. Maxpedition...we are listening.

9. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

10. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

This is a good thread, and all important information. I've purchased a handful of Maxpedition items, none from them directly. Luckily I've never had to return anything or had a problem with an item. As others have said, customer service does speak volumes. And particularly in a case like Maxpedition where the items are very pricey, and very quality, you'd expect top notch customer service. Although this sounds very familiar to experiences that I've heard about with Levenger, another high end/high cost supplier of goods.

They could both learn a lesson from companies like LL Bean.

11. Organdonor

Organdonor Empty Pockets

Ah yes, LL Bean. My three year old terry robe tore at the stitching on the belt loop... so only one side of the belt would retain it's postion... sent it back, they're sending me a brand spanking new one. Gotta love it.

Oh, and my son's three year old backpack lost stitching at the zipper. It went back at the same time, but he doesn't want a new one... so they credited us for the amount of the backpack!

12. maxpedition

maxpedition Banned

Jeff, I will waive the re-stocking fee and give you a FULL refund as a courtesy because you are an EDCF member and bring swift resolution to this matter. However, don't call multiple times and argue with our customer service as to whether the Liger Gun Belt is a custom built product or not. I painstakingly designed it and I can tell you with all certainty that it is custom built for your order at the time of your order. The buckle is machined from solid billet 9 pcs at a time and is a very expensive component, as is the custom belting. We do pre-fabricate and stock certain components to speed up production however, due to their high costs, all components are inventoried separately and never as finished belts. When you place an order, the components are permanently riveted together with steel rivets based on your size/color and buckle color selection; they can not be taken apart and re-used. So when you order the wrong size, then return it, we're stuck with a finished custom belt that we can't resell unless someone orders that exact color/size combination, when and if that happens. The re-stocking fee helps us alleviate the burden of keeping your returned custom belt on inventory as well as the time it takes to process your RMA and check the returned custom belt for defect. Above reasons aside, you electronically signed our terms and conditions of purchase and agreed to said restocking fee at time of order. We have a business to run here and employees to feed, so don't expect us to pay for your failure to following simple measuring instructions that hundreds of others were able to follow. Again, we will give you a FULL refund but please take some personal responsibility as a customer of Maxpedition or any other vendor for that matter; if you truly support a company/ brand and their products and choose to order from said company, please respect and adhere to the agreement you enter into with them upon purchase.

13. elricfate

elricfate Empty Pockets

I gotta tell ya, I've been a huge Maxpedition fan for awhile. Never had to deal with Customer Service.

Man, you really come off as full of yourself and fully willing to be a jerk under the pretense of "giving a full refund" for a product that wasn't even correctly made in the first place. Like he should bow down and say "Oh thank you!" ...

I'm sorry, it irks me, because I read the instructions on measuring yourself, and I know that it's so simple a monkey can do it.

Anyways. I won't be shopping with Maxpedition anymore. Thanks.

ETA: Also, it's not a "custom product" unless it's being cut and made for this specific customer with specific measurements. What you're talking about, a length of belt, the clips, etc. That's not custom. That's a kit. You're snapping stuff on a premade belt at the time of the order. It's an excuse to keep a lower stock of items rather than a higher stock of premade items. That way if one size doesn't sell as much as the other size, you're only out the cost of the belt strap and not the whole premade belt. Not everyone is an economics and supply dummy. :-D

Sorry sir, that's not custom.

ArkansasFan30 and Tony D. like this.
  14. bartsdad

bartsdad Loaded Pockets

:iagree:I'm not currently a Maxped customer, but after reading these, I'm not planning on becoming one either.

15. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I have removed my earlier posts in this thread as I may have in fact broke my forums own rules.

In this forum we try to avoid fighting that degenerates into name calling, swearing, and other things that reduces the civility on the forums.
    Sometimes things are cut off if it looks like it is on a down hill slope to name calling and starts becoming separated from the topic at hand.

It is OK to disagree on this forum and debate but when it starts to look like a down hill spiral that is going to degenerate to uncivil behavior someone may step in and put a stop to it. I may very well be guilty here of causing to look as if it were going that direction.

I have not properly looked at all the comments and actions that have taken place but I have looked at a few. This topic can continue but lets keep it fact based and civil.

I am going to make some comments and I am going to try and keep it within the rules of the forum. I am sure one of the staff will let me know if I cross the boundaries of my own rules.

I have a question, is this because he is a member of the forum and this is now public? What if he was unaware of any forums? This is not a test if your other claims or valid or not but as a statement standing alone. In my opinion your actions should be the same if he is a forum member or not. He is still a person and a customer.

VKX, zenpunk and Here Comes The BOOM like this.
  16. jnathan

jnathan Loaded Pockets

Hi Tim,

I appreciate the response, not necessarily the tone, but certainly the fact that I even received a response; which is more than can be said for the two email messages I sent to your staff.

Obviously Maxpedition buys pre-cut belt lengths and an assortment of buckles which are assembled before shipping, that much is clear. Whether or not that meets the definition of a custom made product is something we're going to have to disagree on. The larger issue here is that you've insinuated that I'm somehow acting in an irresponsible way expecting a full refund for a belt that didn't fit after following your instructions.

As you know, it's much cheaper to retain customers than to obtain them. And, before this issue I'd been recommending Maxpedition products to friends and colleagues, particularly other members of my County CERT team. I'm not certain how I could be more effectively supporting Maxpedition other than buying your products and recommending them to others. Based upon the responses to the original post and your response to my message, Maxpedition is sending a message to the preparedness market, that we're unimportant.

If your opinion is that I'm an idiot because I got the belt size wrong, good for you (but not your instructions). However, as you've read, your customer base agrees that this particular business practice is sub-optimal; it bothers us.

Finally, someone on your end locked my account on your online store. Even if I wanted to buy another Liger belt, in the proper size - once available, I can't.

-Jeff

17. maxpedition

maxpedition Banned

jnathan: If you're ever in the Los Angeles area, I am extending an personal invitation for you to visit our distribution facility as well as our machining facility, see how we operate and how the belts get made; I would also be happy to discuss the differences between our waist measuring techniques over a brew or dinner, our treat. Hopefully, you will then see and perhaps appreciate what goes into them and the fairly normal people behind this operation whom I think you would get along with just fine if we met in person. We are all anonymous on the internet, it's easy to get at each other's throats over the tiniest things; you have my direct line if you want to talk to me in person; in fact I encourage you to call as I am affable. As for your RMA, you'll be getting a full credit as requested pending receipt of returned goods in new condition, and your CS claim will be closed at the time of credit. As I'm sure both you and I are busy people, this will be my final post on the forum regarding your CS issue; if you have any further concerns or questions that needs to be addressed, call me directly.

18. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

This quote came from another thread.

The IP address that this came from matches the IP address of Maxpeditions last post. It looks as if this could be shill posting to me.

r-ice and Here Comes The BOOM like this.
  19. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

I can guess as to why Max got the boot. ;)
    When he called me, he was not the friendliest business owner I've ever spoke with. I did get the refund and was not charged a fee, so I did alright.
    As far as Max gear, I'd say buy it from a dealer that is credible.

20. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Actually Maxpedition got the boot for a PM he sent me.

He advised me that he has no time to waste chit chatting with me but that he would take all the time money and power needed to defend his company. He said he has eyes in this forum looking out for him and will not hesitate to take legal action. He also recommended for my safety that I never mention him or his company again.

I guess it is too late now as I have mentioned him again. I wonder what he meant by "my safety"

I will await the promised legal action and wonder about the "my safety comment"