1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maxpedition Vulture II or Blackhawk 3-day Assault Pack?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by rml, Sep 26, 2010.

?

Vulture II or Blackhawk 3-day Assault Pack?

1. Maxpedition Vulture II

70.6%
  2. Blackhawk 3-day Assault Pack?

29.4%
  1. rml

rml Loaded Pockets

i know i have another thread on the perfect 1/2/3 day bag, but i just got introduced to the blackhawk 3-day assault pack. since there aren't much reviews on it, how does it fare against the vulture? i don't even know if it has inner compartments...

what would you go for?

2. CubistHamster

CubistHamster Loaded Pockets

I have some Blackhawk bags that I'm reasonably happy with (esp. the CIA garment bag), but I think they tend to be overpriced unless you get them at a serious discount. Maxpedition stuff is worth every penny (see this thread on the durability of their gear.)

3. rml

rml Loaded Pockets

the vulture is a little more expensive than the blackhawk, since i'm planning on getting the old pack and not the ultra-lightweight one. i just feel the vulture is a little too big...

4. SnWnMe

SnWnMe Loaded Pockets

They're the same size (3 Day Assault Pack ala Eagle and TT). A couple of hundred c.i. can be alluded to different methods that the volume was calculated.

5. rml

rml Loaded Pockets

seems that blackhawk is leading 3-1. if you guys don't mind, why?

6. medic2807

medic2807 Loaded Pockets

I have a knock-off version of the Blackhawk bag. Same square footage, pouches, etc. I really like it. Lots of pouches. From what I have seen on youtube, the vulture doesn't look as modular. I think the Camelbak BMF is pretty much set up like the Blackhawk 3 day. If I were you, I would buy a 5.11 rush 72. That's what I'm getting next. But that's me. I also like the Sotech bag that the Go Bag fits into. Decisions, decisions....

7. medic2807

medic2807 Loaded Pockets

8. rml

rml Loaded Pockets

thanks medic! it's just that i've seen the internal compartments of the vulture but not of the blackhawk... in other words, i can't compare them much. i'm really liking the vulture's pockets and what not, but the only think i've seen on the net with the blackhawk is the outside pic.

9. NInjaSMS

NInjaSMS Empty Pockets

10. rml

rml Loaded Pockets

nice pics ninja! definitely leaning towards the vulture II... especially since the poll is now a tie.

i have a question though, has the maxpedition sticky thread affected the members' participation in maxpedition-related threads?

seems that compared to old pages, maxped threads aren't that popular anymore... or is it because other manufacturers are stepping up?

11. Tradecraft

Tradecraft Banned

I have had the Vulture 3-Day Assault Pack for about two years and I love this pack. It is strong, solid and has plenty of room for your gear. The YKK #10 zippers are strong, dependable and can handle the abuse from a stuffed pack. The 1000-Denier water and abrasion resistant light-weight ballistic nylon fabric is very durable and there are enough MOLLE attachments to add gear. The backpack has a waist belt and chest belt for a comfortable load.

The Vulture-II holds 2810 cubic inches of gear which should be plenty for about a 3 day trip. The main compartment is very large and holds a lot of gear. The main compartment has dual zippers so it can be opened up almost all the way so that getting to your gear is no problem. I am able to fit a bivy, sleeping bag, sleeping bag liner, Thermarest small pad, back pack rain cover and other items in the main compartment. This pack also has a front pouch and slip pocket to hold other essential items as well. It has a compartment for a 100 oz. hydration bladder for water. At 3 lbs, 8 oz. it is a bit on the heavy side which I think is the biggest drawback but there is always a cost/benefit ratio with gear. This is not a ultralight pack but it will handle any abuse you can dish out and it will last for many years.

If you are looking for a pack that has plenty of room, is extremely durable, yet comfortable then this is your pack.

12. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Feels the opposite to me. An inordinate number of threads in the bag forum are about Maxpedition, to the point that posters don't even feel like they need to put "Maxpedition" in the title. Sitka this, Mongo that. It's just overloaded. Maybe people just don't care anymore when it's the same thing over and over.

13. rml

rml Loaded Pockets

@tradecraft - thanks for the input, highly appreciated.

@shrap - oh ok. thanks for taking the time to reply bud. just felt that, reading old threads, people aren't that enthusiastic anymore compared to how they would post before.

14. 3bears

3bears Loaded Pockets

i wouldn't rule out a 5.11 rush 72 either chaps- awesome bag....

15. rml

rml Loaded Pockets

getting the vulture II tom, really happy about it! i like the vulture's structure and materials better, feel it's gonna withstand a lot of abuse better than the rush... that's just my opinion though. i'm quite the destructive guy, you see. i manage to destroy equipment through ordinary use...

thanks for all those who commented, really appreciate it!

16. Tradecraft

Tradecraft Banned

You won't be disappointed.

17. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

For some things packs of this type maybe best but they are not suited for everything. The price point is not that high in some circles as in some groups $300.00 and up for a pack is typical.

If toughness is the criteria Arc’teryx, Granite Gear, and Gregory usually gets the nod for toughest backpacks outside of here. Now being toughest is not always best for the application but if you are looking for toughest these are some of the better ones. The problem is they are not tacticool and for some things they are not always the most practical. For a three day pack, the bags you mention have some weaknesses in some uses. How many miles have you covered in three days before and what kind of terrain?

Now if I was carrying things around town or deploying from a car or truck I would pick something different than these.

The packs you mention are fine for some applications but the brush seems kind of wide. If I was going to try for the 100 mile day or the 150 mile three day they would be very far down the list, even if it was only 25 miles a day they would not be high on the list. If I had to use it as a drag pack they would be low on the list as well. If I was on very uneven terrain they would be low on the list, if I was going to be running with a medium to medium heavy load they would be far down the list. They have their place but they can disappoint.

If you are looking for an edcbag, again the ones I mentioned are not really the best, if you really want the bag to match it's name, they are better.

18. rml

rml Loaded Pockets

too late Jon, i already got it. i'm really happy though, despite the negatives you mentioned. i said this in another thread, the bag will be used for out-of-town/country trips and probably as an overall large utility bag (gym and what not).

i would love to have the choices most of you have, but we only have certain brands where i'm from. thanks for your inputs though, i really appreciate it.

i think the vulture will suit my needs just fine.