1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maxpedition Riftcore review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by OregonEMT, Jul 29, 2016.

1. OregonEMT

OregonEMT Loaded Pockets

*sorry if there are typos, I made this on my mobile phone!*[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

So I have had my Maxpedition Riftcore for about 10 days now and I put together my thoughts on the bag, enough to write a brief little review. Without further ado...

When opening the box I was met with the RC in all its glory. Wrapped in a plastic bag inside a cardboard box, my initial reaction was that it looks very sharp. Saying that some bags look tactical is subjective to me. I served in the USMC and used many bags during my time. What I think looks tactical may not look the same to others. With that said, I don't believe that the RC looks tactical. I found it to be a strikingly good looking bag with a MOLLE pattern on the outside that is a different that the rest (more on that later). When I pulled it out of the box and out of the bag, I found it was extremely stiff. Much more that other bags I have purchased. I have owned a couple of 5.11 RUSH 24's, a Vanquest Falconer 27, Hazard 4 MOD, Pelican U100 and U140... You get the point. I am sure that the material will break in over time but when loading it up, I found it kind of frustrating but I can't really fault that to Max. Right now because the material is so tough, the zippers don't glide as smoothly as they should but again, I bet that rectifies itself once the material is broken in.

On to the compartments...

First off there is the outside admin compartment. It's got lots of room for pens, a thin flashlight (I have a LED Lenser in there), a notepad slot and full width dump pouch for all your stuff... Well most of it. There is also, a zipper compartment that can be used for whatever. I have that area filled with some cables, iPad Pro charger and a QC 3.0 charger. Covering all the bases...

Moving up to the semirigid sunglasses case...

It's a sunglasses compartment. Has a fleece liner and an elastic pouch where you can put a cleaning cloth (that's what I have in there). There isn't a ton of room in there and that's okay, it's made for sunglasses and not much else.

That covers the outside compartments. Let's dive into the main 2 compartments...

First we have the middle compartment. On one side, you'll find a horizontal row of MOLLE to attach pouches and such. It's set up similar to the 5.11 Hazards Nitro but what makes it a little different is that the whole side and MOLLE is lined in hook and loop (soft side) so you can attach patches as well. It's a nice touch. On the opposite side you'll find a blank canvas that is also covered in hook and loop (soft) for MORE patches, admin attachments, etc. I really like that they've been generous with the hook and loop. Over all that about covers the middle compartment. I have a flashlight MOLLE pouch, 5.11 med pouch, Leatherman Raptor Shears with holster attachment and I am working on a few more attachments. It's highly customizable.

The main compartment...

On one side you'll find a top zipper compartment which I have filled with a 26500 spare battery pack. Under that you'll find a dual sided zipper pouch with see through window (of sorts). I haven't yet placed anything in there yet but plan on putting in a Cocoon elastic grid organizer for my spare cables. I have a larger one already but it doesn't fit. Once it's in there, it'll be perfect for organization and being able to glance through the window. On the opposite side, there's 2 large horizontal elastic bands with smaller ones sewn in. For the last week I have put my iPad padded pouch there but eventually I will get my Otterbox for my iPad Pro and will keep that in place of the padded case. One could put clothes, an umbrella, a laptop.. All sorts of options can be done. Since this is the main compartment, you have a little more room to play with. In addition there is also an area for a water bladder. I have a CamelBak that I plan on putting there but the tube is being replaced so I can't get it set up yet. With that said, With a full bladder (100oz), I can see it filling up quickly like it did with my Falconer. Trade offs I suppose. Your mileage will vary depending on your load. Oh and there is a hook attachment to hang your water bag. Nice addition. Some don't have that.

Let's talk about the CCW area...

Useless. Perhaps it's because I carry a Sig P226 but when I put it in there with my Velcro holder, it bulged and that was without anything in the bag. I threw the bag on my back and it was not comfortable. And so I tested my friends much smaller CCW Glock and I still felt it. Nagging me, just not comfortable. So unfortunately that area is going unused. I found a better solution as you can see in the photos but I think Max should provide some more room in there, perhaps depth? I have been using that area for documents, receipts, papers and such. And that works pretty good so it's not a huge loss.

As for the straps, they are very comfortable and sit well on the shoulders. I like that yolk style. There's a few MOLLE points on the shoulder if you want to attach something. I have some clips on there for water tube control. There is a waist strap but I have tucked it away. Unfortunately it's not removable and you have to tuck it. I wish it were removable like the Falconer.

The bag over all is really, REALLY, nice. It's very customizable and there's plenty of room for your daily needs. I just moved from a Rush 24 so I had to do a bit of downsizing but honestly most of the stuff I removed, and it wasn't a ton, was stuff I really didn't need with me. The bag is almost identical in size to the Vanqust Falconer 27 if you're wondering.

This is my everyday carry work bag and "venture out in the city" bag and I am very pleased with Maxpedition. It's a hell of a bag. At 220.00, it's expensive but in my opinion, it's a worth while purchase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaosmagnet, b.s., rca2016 and 2 others like this.
  2. READYSETGO
    • In Omnia Paratus

READYSETGO Loaded Pockets

Thanks for pics and thought

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

3. OregonEMT

OregonEMT Loaded Pockets

Couple things I wish they would retool:

The stow away area for the waist strap isn't removable and when stuffing both sides in, bows out. It's noticeable when you wear it on your back at the lumbar area. It's not terrible but it could use a little extra room down there. Sort of like the CCW area. The carry handle is too thin for me and I'll be definitely wrapping it in paracord to add size. I'd also like the add that I find the shape of the sunglasses case Velcro field strange. I like to swap out my patches from time to time and I'd like a bit more room for contact. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. :)

4. OregonEMT

OregonEMT Loaded Pockets

Upgraded the handle and made it "thin blue line" style in honor of those LEO's out there that I and so many others support. If there's any LEO here, I thank you guys!

[​IMG]

5. OregonEMT

OregonEMT Loaded Pockets

I finally got it set up how I like. Initially had some Velcro admin pouches on the side with Velcro field but changed it up and used it for what it's great for... Patches! Set up the rest on the MOLLE attachment points. I wasn't using my Sepra holster but then found a Blackhawk STRIKE Velcro attachment that bolts (or screws) right into the Serpa. It's a million times better than the previous cheap-o holster I had there. I can draw much more safely and effectively. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

I've found all my Maxpedition bags to be quite stiff when new. I'm interested to see how much stiffer the new line is than the traditional.

7. wfbont007

wfbont007 Loaded Pockets

Is that a black bag with contrasting interior color?

8. OregonEMT

OregonEMT Loaded Pockets

Yes. The interior is a wolf gray color. Makes it more visible according to Max. I'd agree. :)

9. OregonEMT

OregonEMT Loaded Pockets

I've owned 2 Fatpacks and one of their backpacks (can't remember the version) and they were nowhere near as stiff as this one.

I will say that 2 weeks in, it's breaking in so that's a pro. Took a little longer than my previous bags.

10. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the report. I'm interested in the Wolfspur.

11. OregonEMT

OregonEMT Loaded Pockets

Bump for that guy looking for my review!