1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maxpedition Remora Gearslinger Milspecmonkey Review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by milspecmonkey, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milspecmonkey

milspecmonkey Loaded Pockets

MAXPEDITION Remora Gearslinger

[img width=640 height=468]http://www.djmonkeyboy.com/milspecmonkey/pouches/maxpedition-remora-front1.jpg[/img]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

- - - - -- - - -- - - - - - - - -
    Front pocket: 6" x 6" x 1"
    Front slim pocket: 6" x 5"
    Main compartment: 9" x 7" x 3" with internal loop field
    Rear CCW pocket: 6" x 8" with internal loop field
    Approximate overall volume: 225 cu. in.

A new addition to the Gearslinger line, the Remora is the smallest to date. Instead of being backpack-like as seen on the other Gearslingers, The Remora is sized just right for CCW and everyday carry items. D-rings on the back sides allow the main strap to be connected to either side allowing the pouch to be optimized for left or right side carry. The main strap has a 2" SRB to connect to the upper shoulder flap and the other side has a snap hook to connect to the D-rings. The shoulder flap has PALS compatible webbing for small addon pouches and elastic covers the female SRB piece. The elastic holds the SRB in place and can assist in preventing accidental release. The SRB can be moved on top of the elastic if ease of use priority is desired.

Moving to the front, 2 Rows and 4 Channels of PALS webbing allow pouch addon options such as a small or medium TacTile pouch. A one way zipper opens up the slim pocket which is connected to a larger pocket. The larger frontal pocket has double zipper opening with 2 elastic loops on one side and divider sleeve on the other. A bonus key-clip is included for interior attachment options. A little further up is the exterior of the main pocket. A shockcord and cord-lock rig allows quick external carrying. Loop velcro allows patch placement and this area is attached cave style so a flashlight or similar item can be carried. As usual, I wish the Maxpedition logo was not all up in my velcro space, but this can easily be removed.

The main pocket area has 3 Rows and 2 Channels of PALS webbing externally on each side. This is a good size for sheaths and mag pouch size pouches. On the inside, the front has a secondary CCW area with a large loop field. A divider sleeve is on top which can work well to hold a weapon in place or be a general purpose area. On the other side is a taller sleeve divider with elastic velcro flap. Grommets are in the main and front pocket for drainage. The top has a handle with a padded wrap for a smooth ride. On the external upper sides are additional D-rings which work well for attaching the pouch to other bags.

A cool extra ability is the Remora can be converted from shoulder carry mode to handle/pouch attachment mode by tucking the shoulder flap into the back CCW pocket. A snap is on the shoulder flap so the back CCW can still be snapped closed in tucked mode. The CCW area is similar to the Manta and Colossus, but a little smaller. Do not worry, a full size pistol still fits in there nicely. The pocket area has a nice big loop field good for a modular holster. The external part is a flexible nylon grid with foam inside which works great for padding and airflow. A snap closure is used for this area which has a little D-ring as a pull tab aid. At the bottom is a hypalon and velcro flap for belt attachment. I wish the pull D-ring was larger like on the Manta and Colossus, but one can add 550 cord to make it easier to pull.

Although the Remora can be worn many ways, I like to wear it in a cross-draw position as seen in my worn pictures. I prefer the pistol in the main pouch for full concealment and then the elastic in the front pocket works great for 2 extra magazines. I plan to cord wrap one of the the main pouch zipper pulls to make an easier grab and pull toward the direction I use the most. As for small down sides, I would like to see more color matching such as brown instead of black zippers. A metal snap hook on the main strap would be preferred, but the plastic based one currently on is sufficient for the loads the Remora can carry. Overall I like the Remora a lot as a small all business pouch. The PALS webbing placement is a bonus in which I can bulk up the carrying capacity as needed.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=2&idproduct=384
    www.milspecmonkey.com

den4x4 likes this.
  2. Buffalohump

Buffalohump Loaded Pockets

Hey cool....

Thanks for the review and pics!

O0

3. luigi

luigi Loaded Pockets

Very nice review it seems to be useful as an all-purpose EDC bag.

Luigi

4. milspecmonkey

Additional pics showing PALS usage as per request:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Maxpedition Barnacle on upper shoulder flap
    Maxpedition TacTile Small on front
    Tactical Tailor AK/M16 Mag pouch on left
    Tactical Tailor E&E vertical pouch on right.

Notes: Barnacle kinda got in the way of arm movement when bag was stored on my back, but nothing drastic.

5. balrog

balrog Loaded Pockets

milspecmonkey,

Thanks for another great review! How tall are you?

6. milspecmonkey

Glad to be of help.

Monkey size is a meager 5' 4" 125 lbs

[img width=640 height=426]http://www.djmonkeyboy.com/milspecmonkey/images/monkey-size1.jpg[/img]

7. Buffalohump

Hmmmm.... that is small...

:lolhammer:

8. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hey, it ain't the size of the dog in the fight... ;D
    In reference to your sigline, Buffalo, "Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger!" :spank:

Excellent review, Monkey, as always! Thanks for repping us little fellows! :highfive:

9. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

Big Thanks brother! O0

This thing looks to be a winner!

10. Buffalohump

heh heh... only joshing y'all :hug:

11. Agreatscot

Agreatscot Empty Pockets

Great review. I have a neat freak now and space can be a challenge. The Remora looks much better designed to attach to. I did just get a Colossus and a Octa but haven't done anything with them yet.

The new cell phone holders, anyone know which is best for a Razr? Thanks..

12. Exmasonite

Exmasonite Loaded Pockets

Milspec-

What are you CCWing in both pockets?

I've got an XD SC which should be no problem. Wondering more about my XD service and Sig P220. thanks!

13. maxpedition

maxpedition Banned

14. milspecmonkey

I was demoing a training HK USP to show it can fit a full size handgun. As long as you don't get into anything exotic large like a Desert Eagle, it should accommodate most handguns.

15. AirMech74

AirMech74 Loaded Pockets

Nice review

16. Rubert32

Rubert32 Empty Pockets

I was reading to specs here:
    http://deviceraters.com/maxpedition-remora-gearslinger-overview/

It says "Concealable/removable shoulder strap made from 2" webbing with 2" quick release buckle and attachment clip"
    I couldn't find anything about it being adjustable, was wonder if you can change the size of the straps.

17. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

adjustable in length but not interchangeable as the bottom blends into the bag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.