1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maxpedition Neat Freak "review"

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Sproles, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

There was comfortable slack all round I think. If nobody else gets around to measuring, I'll be able to measure my bag next week if you can wait that long.

2. Edwood

Edwood Loaded Pockets

I send an email to Maxpedition asking as well. The dimensions of the Fujitsu P1610 with the 6 cell extended battery are 9.13" x 7.32" x 1.46".

-Ed

3. Edwood

Edwood Loaded Pockets

Well, I snagged a khaki Neat Freak off of eBay. So I guess I'll find out for myself if my Fujitsu P1610 fits or not. I think it will most definitely fit with the standard battery, but I'm hoping it fits with the extended battery.

-Ed

4. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Moved and bumped. I know it's an old topic, but it *technically* belonged here even before the pics came up. :knuppel2:

:mm:

5. Safety1st

Safety1st Loaded Pockets

Great review and pictures O0

Thanks very much for taking the time, effort and trouble to help others... :thumbsup:

6. Deanster

Deanster Loaded Pockets

I've got the PackRat, and I've tried three or four times to make good use of it, but I keep on running into two difficulties - the first is that the pockets (almost identical arrangement to the Maxpedition version), aren't arranged quite right for my stuff - too many large/deep pockets, not enough small pockets sized for one small item.

The second, and more critical, is that all the things that I'd like to keep in it are my true EDC items, that I'd like to have easy access to, and switch between bags. However, by the time I toss the PackRat into a larger bag, they're now behind the zippers of the first bag, the packrat zippers, and quite hard to get at. Organizer panels in most bags are MUCH easier to get at, and it works out better to just move the items into individual slots, at least for me.

I've kept the PackRat because I LOVE the concept, but in reality, I just can't make it work for my specific needs. I've handled the NeatFreak, and it's much better built, but the overbuilt Maxpedition style is maybe a bit much for a 'bag-in-a-bag', and ends up being bulkier than I'd like. It's better than the PackRat as a stand-alone bag, but IMHO, a bit thick and heavy for carry inside other bags.

No intent to be negative here - but I did want to share that depending on what your intended use is, there may be some specific differences between the bags which might make a difference, and also that a clear understanding of what works well with this bag is helpful - it's great for a 'kit' of items you might need, but less perfect for easy access to items in frequent use.

7. Edwood

Edwood Loaded Pockets

Just got my NeatFreak today. A lot smaller than I thought it would be. A perfect "Man Bag" or "Murse" for EDC.

My Fujitsu P1610 just barely fits in there with the 6 Cell extended battery in place. It has to be right in the middle of the bag, as it won't fit into any of the largest pockets with the extended battery. It does just barely fit in one of the pockets with the standard 3 cell battery. But I rather enjoy having 4-5 hours of computing time.

Other than that, not much else fits. I agree with Deanster that there aren't enough small pockets. There are no dedicated pen slots so to speak. Is there a tiny external organizer with pen slots that can be attached to the PALS webbing on the front, and not be too large to be attached to the NeatFreak?

Although there is just enough room on the very sides of the front mesh pocket for me to slide a pen into on each side. Two pens are all I really need on a daily basis. A sharpie and a ball point.

There is quite a lack of padding that has me concerned carrying around a tiny laptop, but the bottom does have a little bit of padding, and the removeable velcro'd divider panel is large enough to offer rigid protection internally. It's the sides and front I'm concerned. So as long as I don't fall on this bag or swing it around, it should be all good.

Otherwise, this is about as compact as it gets for me to EDC a full Windows XP based computer, and not just my Pocket PC Phone.

One feature that I've seen on quite a few Maxpeditions that is present on the NeatFreak is the Zipper retaining snap thingy. It's a little bit of pick pocketing detterent, and overall extra secure to prevent your zipper from opening accidentally. I love it!

-Ed

8. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

Sorry for not getting around to measuring my own bag for you Edwood, tailor wasn't quite done with my modifications.

One of the reasons for my modifications is very much related to the criticisms: not enough small pockets. I'll get getting my hands on a Maxpedition Manta soon, and I plan to make full use if its full panel of PALS webbing by attaching the Neat Freak onto the main panel (the funky velcro system leaves the sides of the Neat Freak sagging, hence my mods), two Rollypollies (or one Rollypolly and one smaller zippered pouch), a Janus on the shoulder strap (has pen slots! yay!). The Manta also comes with it's own flat zippered compartment I think.

I thought about getting a Fatboy of sorts, but the Neat Freak has two major draws for me:

1) It's flat! Almost all other Maxpedition pouches/bags/slings jut out far too much for my liking.
    2) It fits perfectly on the front PALS panel of my TAD Fast Pack. Attach it when relocating, detach it and use shoulder strap for a much lighter stroll down the street.

9. Edwood

Edwood Loaded Pockets

Anyone have removeable velcro'd divider they'd be willing to sell me?

This thing:
    [​IMG]

-Ed

10. Vinosaur

Vinosaur Loaded Pockets

Sproles, Awesome set-up.

I see you are a CR fan. Both a Sebbie and an Mnandi. I am impatiently awaiting my sebbies return from Idaho. I sent it in to have a Raindrop Damascus blade made for it and then will be doing some more mods.

How do you like the Mnandi? It has been on my list for a while.

Vino

11. Deanster

Deanster Loaded Pockets

Glad this is working well for you - that is a tremendously small kit for a full-on Windows computer.