1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maxpedition MPB question

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Tallinar, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Tallinar

Tallinar Loaded Pockets

I'm looking into the Maxpedition MPB, and trying to confirm some things.

I notice that a few years ago, Maxpedition changed the shoulder strap on the MPB. This doesnt bother me much. However, I have read at least one review stating that about this same time, Maxpedition also changed a couple other aspects of this bag.

First, I read that the velcro loops on the top of the bag were shortened to the point that it can no longer hold a maglite. This was surprising to me, as it seems to be exactly what those loops were made for. Either way not a huge issue for me, as I don't intend to use these loops.

More important to me though, the second thing I read is that they shortened the straps on the buckles on the inside of the big side pockets -- the ones used to secure items in the bigger slip pockets. The reviewer stated that the straps are too short to allow the securing of an iPad.

Is this true? Are the buckles that short? If they are, that's a pretty big annoyance to me. Then again, if the slip pocket is strong enough, I could just cut the buckles off.

Can anyone comment from experience?

Thanks.

2. Deanster

Deanster Loaded Pockets

I have an MPB that I bought in March 2012, and while I'd need to check to be sure, I'm pretty confident that the internal straps will allow enough room for an iPad. The Maglight loops I never use, and I haven't owned a Maglight-sized light in years (I'm all LED now), so I can't speak to that.

Not sure if that's recent enough to be helpful, and I'll try to check the internal straps this evening and report back specifically.

The MPB is kind of an odd duck these days, in that it's absolutely bomb-proof and overall an excellent bag, BUT all the pockets and dividers are very specifically designed, such that they're almost a bit inflexible. If your stuff fits their design, you're golden. If not, you're going to be fighting the bag. Mine's outstanding as a range bag, for my specific needs, but it took some shifting about to get it there.

Tallinar likes this.
  3. Tallinar

Tallinar Loaded Pockets

Thanks Deanster. That's interesting that you bought yours in March 2012, because that's the same month Maxpedition announced the strap redesign, though it sounds like the redesign was already in play a few months before they announced it. I found this info here:
    http://edcforums.com/threads/maxpedition-redesign.92762/

Does your bag have the full 2 inch strap with swivels, or the later 1 inch beveled strap with no swivel?

The other bag I am considering that seems similar yet different to the MPB is the 5.11 Sidetrip. Wish there was a median between the two. I like the Sidetrip's size and pocket layout, but would greatly prefer Maxpedition's material quality. Only reservation on the Sidetrip is that I read many complaints about the CCW compartment velcro becoming weak overtime -- especially when front pockets are full. If only it were a zipper compartment like the Versipacks!

If MPB side pockets can fit a 10 inch laptop in those slip pockets and buckle them, I think MPB will work.

Thanks for your reply.

4. Deanster

Deanster Loaded Pockets

I for sure have the older strap design, so presumably the older internals also.

I agree that those crappy plastic swivel hooks are a weak point - glad they've designed them out.

Tallinar likes this.
  5. justlooking

justlooking Empty Pockets

I looked at the 5.11 Sidetrip, and my iPad Air would fit in the front pocket (vertically), but it was a pretty tight fit, and I think there was no padding at the top or corners. (Don't remember about the bottom.). I ruled it out because of that.