1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maxpedition monsoon

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Shepard, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Shepard

Shepard Loaded Pockets

Im really interested in the maxpedition monsoon. Just looking for a nice edc bag for work. Mainly a change of clothes some food and other general things. Anyone suggests it?

2. Vader9900
    • In Omnia Paratus

Vader9900 Loaded Pockets

Got one after seeing Jack Bauer haul one around on 24. I hated it. Not enough small organization and it was very uncomfortable.

Rev. Chuck likes this.
  3. Shepard

Shepard Loaded Pockets

:censored: thats what I thought. Thanks

4. Rev. Chuck

Rev. Chuck Loaded Pockets

It's a bag in bag system, if you want to carry a lot of small items you need several pouches for them.
    BTW I own one and I hate it, it's somewhere in a closet

5. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Same here. All of the large Maxpedition slings are uncomfortable to carry. They look good on paper and in the customer pics. Of course, those customers probably sold theirs right after getting back from their trips to fund a visit to the chiropractor.

6. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

I like my Kodiak and it works for me... A backpack for my everyday edc was clumsy.. I couldn't get access unless I removed it which led me to carry it with only one strap over one shoulder but still needed to remove it to get to anything and it kept wanting to slide off.

Enter my MaxPed Kodiak.. The single strap setup was key for me, having the ability to rotate to my front and access my gear easily was a godsend. It's roomy enough for my tablet, lunch, edc, even a change of clothes. The internal organization is good and the hook and loop fields are nice but I wish there was more. The key is not to overload it and it does just fine. (I wouldn't use it on a two or three day hike)

You're going to hear some animosity towards maxped here due to a few issues with its owner and some members border on viscous about it. But what matters is what you want and need. I avoided the monsoon and went for the Kodiak and I haven't had one problem with it. I'm no fanboy but I'd go and try one out in person and see for yourself.

7. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

No it doesn't Blitz, you're just confused. :D

Blitzwing and Vader9900 like this.
  8. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

My take on the Maxpedition slings have nothing to do with Jon's issues with the Maxped owner. In their line, I've owned and EDC'd the Condor II, Sitka, Kodiak, Mongo, Lunada, Remora, and the Jumbo EDC. I think that makes me an informed commentator on the pro's and con's of their products and particularly the Gearslingers since I've tried four of them. I'm not just spouting off based on some pissing match that I wasn't involved in (although full disclosure - I've heard enough bad things on that front from other sources to side with Jon).

With that said, my take on their stuff while based on actual use, should be an input and not the sole factor in any buying decision. Other people's opinions vary, like Bitzwing's, and your mileage might vary also. I just want to set the record straight that my views on Maxpedition have nothing to do with anything other than my own experiences with their products and customer service. And my reviews are not all negative. I think the Jumbo is best-in-class. The Mongo is a good (but not without issues) messenger option. The larger Gearslingers are flawed in my opinion. As for the smaller Gearslingers, I like the Lunada, but I'm still not 100% sold on it.

Last edited by TARFU, Sep 3, 2012
    Rev. Chuck and Robinmasters like this.
  9. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I've had a Monsoon for years and use it 5 days a week. It works for me.

10. Rev. Chuck

Rev. Chuck Loaded Pockets

Same here, I was a hardcore Maxped fan boy, and I've owned a bunch of their packs, in my opinion the Sitka and Kodiak work fine for city carry, try hiking with any of them and you'll regret it, the Monsoon like Tarfu said looks great on paper, and when you play with its great, once you realize it's a bag in bag system you'll love it or hate it, in my case I hated it, one of the strongest bags they have is the Mongo imho.

11. sweetdaddyroses

sweetdaddyroses Loaded Pockets

I owned the Monsoon...briefly.

I mean, VERY briefly!

Here's my Monsoon story...

I bought the hype.

I bought the bag.

I waited anxiously.

The doorbell rang.

It had arrived.

I opened the box.

I took it out.

I tried it on.

YIKES!

I put it back in the box.

I returned it immediately.

I'm being generous when I say, it was HORRIBLE!

ymmv

Shepard and Rev. Chuck like this.
  12. bobbyc

bobbyc Loaded Pockets

I'm with you on the Lunada, it's my "preferred" EDC as it fits all my Just in Case crap *and* my iPad fits perfectly in the inside pocket. It's easier to single-shoulder carry because it's not that heavy, but I let ALL of the strap out. When I cross-chest the Lunada it rides on my right hip instead of in the middle of my back, because it looks odd there.

I've mentioned this in a few other threads, but a Lunada with a regular strap would be brilliant.

13. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Agreed. Have you tried the Hazard 4 Kato? It's well suited for full sized tablet carry.

14. thirty7

thirty7 Loaded Pockets

I've had one for over 5 years and it has basically become my gear storage bag. I tend to agree it's not the most comfortable to wear with the sling and waist strap. It is however imo a nice asset for short trips when you just want to grab your 30 lbs of knives, tools, gear, etc. into and out of a vehicle for instance. It has ample room and adjustments for additional packs and accesories. Since I'm not all that into to hiking with it I think it's a good bag. I like mine alot. They are nice looking as well.

JMO

15. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

I hated my Monsoon (I actually ranted about it a long time ago in another thread) and this was back when I liked the company. In a nutshell, the triangular shape really didn't work for anything but smaller items or non-rigid items like clothing. The bottom is rounded so it won't sit up. Sling style is uncomfortable under load. Must unbuckle flap every time you want to access the inside.

16. bobbyc

bobbyc Loaded Pockets

I'm checking it out now. Seriously, though, I'm starting to feel that something like this is probably what I should get.

TARFU likes this.
  17. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I did a review on the Kato here if that helps.

bobbyc likes this.
  18. jtquest

jtquest Empty Pockets

I'm in the love-it camp. I've used the Monsoon as my EDC for a couple of years. I did have to add several exterior pouches for better organization, and I do attach a NeatFreak for longer trips. I wouldn't want to go hiking with it fully loaded, but it's great for quick on/off from house-to-car-to-office.

I'm currently hunting for a Typhoon GS for my wife to replace her current EDC (multiple Target bags:()

Chris97 and Shepard like this.
  19. bobbyc

bobbyc Loaded Pockets

That really did, thank you! FWIW, I have a Civilian Labs "pod" that I use as a sunglasses case. It attaches by means of a very convenient snap-closure strap to the MOLLE on the side of my Lunada. A great product. And the more I read of your Kato review and the associated comments, the more attractive it gets. You did us all a service in writing such a thoughtful review, so thanks again.

20. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

The Kato is an excellent bag.. The slot in back holds my toshiba thrive nicely (its one of the largest 10" tablets) I use mine for work with one of their bottle holders on the side.