1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maxpedition Malaga Gearslinger Milspecmonkey Review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by milspecmonkey, Dec 27, 2007.

1. milspecmonkey

milspecmonkey Loaded Pockets

[img width=640 height=515]http://www.milspecmonkey.com/pouches/maxpedition-malaga-011.jpg[/img]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

DIM: Main compartment: 13" x 9.5" x 4"
    Front upper pocket: 9" x 4" x 1"
    Front lower pocket: 9” x 9” x 1.5”
    Front slip pocket: 8" x 8",
    Rear CCW pocket: 11" x 9"
    Approximate overall volume: 660 cu. in.

Maxpedition comes around full circle with Malaga creating essentially a large Lunada, which was a large Remora. The result is a size closer to how the Gearslinger line began. Although the Malaga doesn't have as much depth, it is very similar in size to the Typhoon putting the Malaga in a class of small backpack.

The Typhoon was optimized for right shoulder carry, but the Malaga has everything centered to give ambidextrous ability. The main shoulder strap is nice and long like on the Lunada and can be connected to the left or right bottom D-ring as the user desires to setup. The cross strap is then put on the other D-ring to allow further security when riding a bike or generally on the go. The cross strap connects with an SRB that is also a distress whistle. I've said this earlier, but wanted to mention again the whistle part doesn't work very well at all. No big worries however, it works as an SRB just fine. There is now a main Y compression strap down the middle like on the Typhoon. It works well for compression, but for those who don't need this feature, like me, I'm glad I can easily take it off with the option to put it back on later. There are new side compression straps, however they are a bit more permanent. This will be preference as well where some will like them and some won't. Personally I don't think the pack is big enough to need them so I think they get in the way. Having them be removable using ITW repair SRBs would have been a better route.

The front lower pocket has received a lot of upgrades. Starting with the outside, there are PALS loops of 3 rows x 5 columns in which the middle column is long. This allows for a good amount of space to addon a couple of pouches or a bigger one like the TacTile Large. In between the PALS are bonus 1" loop velcro strips for name tapes and the Maxpedition logo is even on the webbing out of the way, sweet! The inside of the front lower pocket has drastically changed from the Lunada which has more mesh now. The back side has a tall sleeve pocket with a mesh sleeve sewn on top divided into 2 sections. One section is about 1/3 total length and the other is 2/3 to give more holding options. The usual plastic lanyard keeper is also attached on this side. On the internal front side is a built in mesh zippered pocket with elastic loops to hold items horizontally. This zippered pocket isn't very deep for easy accessibility. The upper frontal external pocket is laid out like the Lunada, just slightly bigger. This includes a sleeve pocket in the back and elastic divided into 3 loops. The inside of the main compartment is also very Lunada-like, however now people have enough room for that ever-so common legal size paper with out folding. The inside still suffers the inner front flap dilemma which now is even bigger with 2 external sleeve pockets. Users will like it for organization or hate it for covering up their internal CCW area. Speaking of CCW, the back external CCW area is now VAST. I couldn't quite fit 2 full size handguns back there, but I could put a handgun in horizontally just to display a "cause I can" factor. I don't have one laying around, but this is likely big enough to fit a PDW inside like a MP5K or MP7. I was happy to see a large D-ring on the connection strap which is much easier to grab onto than the 1" D-Ring on the Lunada.

So far I am digging the Malaga a lot as a small backpack. I was able to quickly mod it to my preferences and the PALS placement allows for easy pouch additions. It isn't as big and is missing some of the side pouches of the Typhoon, however many will find the customizability and CCW features of the Malaga a great gear option. Currently available in Black, OD Green, Khaki, and ACU.
    http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=21&idproduct=514

PS: Hope to add some pics of me wearing the Malaga soon.

2. HoopleHead

HoopleHead Banned

this was the review i was waiting for! :roof:

please do post pics, especially with a cross draw pic if you can. thanks!

3. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Great pics, as always! Please do post some more.

Did I understand correctly that the lower front pocket only has a couple of elastic loops and they are vertical? Looks like it in the pic. That's a pity, I liked the look of the Lunada's lower front pocket with all those loops and I assumed the Malaga would have them too. I have an FR-1 and I really like those elastic loops.

And the compression straps do look like they might be in the way. Oh man, first I decided to get the Lunada, then the Malaga, then maybe the Lunada after all, and until this review it was definitely going to be the Malaga, but now I'm vacillating towards the Lunada again... :laugh: (And I'm not buying both!)

4. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all of the great pics & review! O0

5. milspecmonkey

I'm away from my gear since in KY for holidays, but I do believe the front lower only has the 2 vertical elastic loops. There is a chance I just wasn't able to photo them since they would be deep down in the pack. Anyway, will confirm when I do wearing pics.

As for the compression straps if you know you hate them, it won't hurt the pack to cut them off. Cut the actual SRB sewn into the frontal loops then you can fold up the webbing or tuck it into the side PALS. If you change your mind, you can buy some ITW repair SRBs and be as good as new with no sewing.

6. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the review. I just opened up my new Typhoon that I ordered a week or so back. I'd kind of been wondering if maybe I should have gone with the Malaga, which I didn't know about when I ordered the Typhoon, but from your review it doesn't really seem like there is that much of a difference in size, which is my main thing. I'm fine with the strap set-up on the Typhoon, as it's similar to my Oakley Sandbag.

I'm going to use the Typhoon as my gearbag, carryon bag, etc. and think that it will work well.

7. griffey

griffey Loaded Pockets

Any chance of getting pics with the Malaga on? I'd love to see how large it is actually being worn...I'm trying to decide between the Malaga and the Lunada...

8. bzorg

bzorg Loaded Pockets

Show us your malaga ;D

9. milspecmonkey

Sorry, have been a busy monkey these days. Here is it worn in the 2 main wearing styles I use it for.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Exmasonite

Exmasonite Loaded Pockets

very nice pics!!! (although i think that's actually 3 styles, haha)

never thought of reversing it and putting it laterally like the 3rd pic. might be nice for the ole center of gravity while scrambling or biking. thanks!

11. pu1869

pu1869 Empty Pockets

I know this is off topic, but I wanted to thank Milspec for being the token body model. Since his reviews are very detailed and he models the gear yourself it is really easy ( at least for me) to size up how gear is going to fit me.

I recently bought a Lunanda for my wife and was second guessing if I should have gotten the Malaga for the extra room. Milspec's pictures helped confirm that I did make the correct choice.

So thanks again Milspec for your hard work, and as always keep those reviews coming. O0

12. bzorg

bzorg Loaded Pockets

Thanks , thus I can see how tall malaga is O0

13. blaher

blaher Empty Pockets

Thanks Milspecmonkey, your reviews always are helpful. Though I should be mad at you cause you always end up making me spend more money.

14. jetdriver

jetdriver Empty Pockets

Great review. I know this thread is olde - but I'm researching my next Maxpedition purchase. On a side note - you might want to get a buddy that is 6 ft + to show the relative size of these packs. I saw you wearing the USMC Desert jacket, and it looked roomy on you in Small. No offense intended, just an observation. It's throwing of the relative size of the packs for us bigger fellas.

Thanks again for all the great reviews.

15. milspecmonkey

I am no doubt a small dude, but usually Small sizes fit me well. Time to time you will see my buddy Evan in my pics, he is more of an average sized guy.

16. sdg

sdg Loaded Pockets

A couple questions about the Typhoon and Malaga....

I think either of these would work for me. What I'm wondering about is the shoulder straps and configuration. The strap on the Typhoon seems like it would be more comfortable but I'm concerned about carrying it on one side only, whereas the fact that you can wear the Malaga on both sides seems like a valuable feature when using the bag for extended periods. But, the strap on the Malaga doesn't seem as comfortable as the Typhoon.

Ignoring any other features of the two bags, which strap do you recommend? The seemingly more comfortable one-side only strap on the Typhoon or the ambidextrous strap on the Malaga?

Thanks in advance!

17. milspecmonkey

I haven't had issues with strap comfort on either so I'd say it is more about if you want the second strap to be on the waist style like the Typhoon, or a messenger bag like strap as seen on the Malaga. Sometimes I carry more than one bag so I like how the Malaga can be setup for either shoulder.

18. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

I get sore muscles because of the weight before getting sore because of the comfort of the strap on my Malaga.

I went to a day-long visit in Paris not long ago, I was thankful that I could swap the carry from left to right shoulder from time to time. (6.8kg / 15lbs Malaga)

so no, the strap isn't incomfortable. Just tighten the strap so that if doesn't rub against you if you happen to feel it's uncomfortable.

19. sdg

sdg Loaded Pockets

Thank you both for the responses. I'm leaning toward the Malaga. Although, the slightly larger dimensions of the Typhoon would be helpful at times... haha, this is a tough decision!
    Thanks again!

20. sdg

sdg Loaded Pockets

Well I went with the Malaga. So far I'm happy with it. Even though I read all the dimensions before purchasing, it's still smaller than I expected, but for my intent I think it'll work great. I also ordered a CP-S cell phone pouch, RollyPoly Mini so I can carry water outside of the bag and a Four by Six. I'll likely get another small bag to keep inside of the main compartment and a couple sheaths for a flashlight soon, but I want to use it for a while so I can figure out what else I need.

Thanks again for the help everyone!

Michal Urban likes this.