1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maxpedition Fatboy or 5.11 MOAD 6?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Lunatic, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Lunatic

Lunatic Loaded Pockets

I'm looking for opinions/experiences regarding getting a Maxpedition Fatboy or 5.11 MOAD 6?
    My criteria:
    1. CCW (Glock 19)
    2. Basic EDC space (pens, paper pad, small flashlight, folding pocketknife, etc...)
    3. Molle in case I want to add on
    4. I can't over fill it (my Malaga is 25 lbs!)
    5. Bag stays out of my way while walking

I'm a big fan of Maxpedition but I'm also very happy with my two Rush 12's
    The MOAB 6 spec's show it as slightly larger than the Fatboy but it seems better organized

Also has anyone carried a handgun with either of these bags? Was it comfortable? Did the handgun "print"?

Grateful for any help...

Lunatic

2. FlyersFanJV

FlyersFanJV Loaded Pockets

I have a MOAB 6, never had an issue with the gun printing. I use to use it for work before going onsite to clients more and having to carry a work laptop, but I can hold an iPad mini and Zagg keyboard in there with no issues, along with a FAK, pens, pencils, flashlights, glowsticks, knives, pack of wipes always, ect. It did feel over weight to me when I was EDCing it. Only thing you have to remember is to keep the bag on you all time if carrying off body. Would work nice with your 12's too if you want to tier it at some point, that way you don't always have to swap items if you have the MOAB loaded for EDC.

3. Powrstroke6.0

Powrstroke6.0 Loaded Pockets

I have a fatboy, and used it to conceal a g19. It fits perfectly in the ccw compartment. Loved it, but ended up getting a rush 12 to carry my edc. The fatboy was not big enough for my daily edc, but I would definitely recommend the fatboy if you know your going to carry a minimal amount is of gear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

4. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

I bought a black 5.11 Push Pack (5.11's version of the Maxpedition Fatboy). Only ended up using it a couple weeks because my needs changed and no longer had a use for it. It has a nice CCW compartment, room for basic EDC items, and molle. The other two criteria are dependent on you. I'd be willing to sell it if you're interested

5. Maml

Maml Loaded Pockets

If the MOAB 6's CCW pocket is anything like the MOAB10's in size, you may have an issue with 'fit'.

I have the 10, and battle to draw quickly without the mag or sights catching on either side of the ccw pocket.
    Have a look here for some pics ;) ... http://edcforums.com/threads/ccw-5-11-moab-10.121664/

6. rtvolk

rtvolk Loaded Pockets

I have a Maxpedition and I think the fit for my Springfield XD is perfect.

7. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

When you carry the MOAB 6, it rides on your back. When you carry the Fatboy, it rides on your side. You'll have to decide which carry location you prefer if those are the two packs you're thinking of. Otherwise, as mentioned above, 5.11's Push Pack is more like the Fatboy, carried on the side, but it has an advantage that it can be switched to the opposite shoulder when you want to, which the Fatboy can't. For that reason, the Push Pack would be a better choice than the Fatboy if you want a bag to hang on your side.

FL Woods Bum and F-Bobby like this.
  8. F-Bobby

F-Bobby EDC Junkie

These are two Very different styles of bag. I had a Moab 6 for about a year. I didn't mind it, but now I'm using a style of bag much more like the Maxped (but I'm using the Vanquest) and it's much more my style for EDC. Being able to easily slide it around and get into the back from the top (as opposed to the side for the MOAB) is a great thing for retrieving items quickly.

I think you need to narrow down which style you want. A back sling pack or a hip sling pack then break it down more from there.

9. Lunatic

Lunatic Loaded Pockets

Well, I ended up ordering a black MOAB 6 and black water bottle holder, should be here in a week or so...

10. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

glad you made your decision
    I have no experience with the MOAB 6, but I can say that the Fatboy CCW compartment with a Maxped holster in it is VERY small
    by the time you stick a gun in there (Glock 27 in this case), there is really not enough room to get your hand in there to draw it safely or effectively
    useless for that purpose
    the post above about a G19 in a Fatboy - I don't see that happening
    maybe one of the larger Fatboy versions, but not a Fatboy

11. little green bag

little green bag Loaded Pockets

You should have considered the ZAP6, doesn't look as tactical and has more room then a MOAB6 (I've owned both).

12. Lunatic

Lunatic Loaded Pockets

I wanted the availability of the molle, and if I need more room I have a Maxpedition Malaga, my problem is that I tend to over fill my bags so this seemed about the right size...

13. Sofastreamer

Sofastreamer Loaded Pockets

i own the zap6 as well as the moab 6 and a fatboy. the moab has more room than both of the others. the zap has a thick padded sleeve in the maincompartement, that kills capacity. the zap is more comfy because of its strap and also is easier to adjust. the fatboy has no where near as much capacity than the 5.11 bags although it is quite similar in size when looking from outside.

14. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Lunatic .. Not sure if you have read this thread, but you may consider reading it before you buy another Maxpedition Product. Especially given how they have treated members of this forum and Jon.

15. CatsTide

CatsTide Loaded Pockets

I just clicked this to see what your response was. :rofl:

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  16. Lunatic

Lunatic Loaded Pockets

I did indeed read the entire thread and it's unfortunate that folks have had this experience, however I've never been treated badly.
    I can say however the couple of times I called to get spec's on items kids they had answering the phone were "window lickers"... :p
    But having said this, I find their products to be well made and a good value but YMMV. (I will say that some the new designs are kinda ugly too)

I do own a lot of their products, but I'm come to find that I don't care for their
    CCW options (in general) nor the way the backpacks fit on me, and I REALLY like the 5.11 Rush 12 and now own two and since I'm on a mission to find the perfect EDC bag (to me) I thought I try the MOAB 6.

17. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

No worries. My sending you there had nothing to do with their products, but how Maxped's owner has treated this forum and it's members. If that doesn't figure into your buying, that's cool, it's your money. Good luck.

brand0n likes this.
  18. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

Wow, can anyone post a question here about a Maxped product without someone linking that thread?

Let.It.Go

K2-Kevin and Heavyduti like this.
  19. K2-Kevin

K2-Kevin Loaded Pockets

Agree...

Heavyduti likes this.
  20. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Not likely.

Heavyduti likes this.