1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maxpedition Falcon II Improvements

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Dave568, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Dave568

Dave568 BST/Marketplace ban

I own a Maxpedition Falcon II, and it is a great bag, but the compression straps can get quite annoying at times, and pretty much every strap on the bag is much longer than it needs to be. I am planning on cutting the straps so that they are a bit shorter, and I was wondering if anyone else has done this to this backpack or a similar backpack. After cutting the straps, I'm assuming I should deal them with a flame so they do not unravel or fray, right?

Also, while we're on the topic, I was wondering if any Maxpedition Falcin II owners have any other interesting modifications that they have made to their bag to improve it's performance.

2. Ronin Six

Ronin Six Empty Pockets

Hi Dave, I bought a black Falcon II pack not too long ago. Haven't made any major mods to it yet though. Only thing I've done so far was to add some Kifaru Liter Pouch Plus pouches to the sides (10x3.5x3.5) to get more storage space for a Nalgene or whatnots. For the extra strap lengths, I use old MTB tire tubes cut to half-inch lenths to keep them at bay. (Not exactly pretty, cuz my tubes have some kind of fine powder residue which I assume keeps it from sticking to itself, but it works well enough for the job)

I'm wanting some access to pouches while the pack is on, so I'm thinking about modifying a Civilian Labs rig to be placed on the shoulder strap and hopefully be comfortable next to my ribs. They're clearing them out at TAD Gear now so it'll hurt a little less to experiment.

3. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Before cutting the straps, search for a plastic gizmo specifically designed to take up the slack in straps like yours. Sorry, I don't recall the name of the gadgets.

4. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

ITW NEXUS WEB DOMINATOR W/ SHOCK CORD :)

5. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

6. m29oicw

m29oicw BST/Marketplace ban

Has any one cut off all their Maxpedition Falcon II compression straps?

7. Quacker-Jack

Quacker-Jack Empty Pockets

ahoj,

i have attached some shock cord to the lower, and ordinary paracord to the upper PALS webbing.
    now i am able to affix a piece of clothing without narrowing the internal cargo space.
    :woohoo:

Attached Files:

8. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Nice improvements, Quacker-Jack. Welcome to EDCF. Good first post.

9. netprophet21

netprophet21 Empty Pockets

i love that idea! O0 i even have some extra shock cord laying around, guess I'll rig it up tonight. Thanks for the idea.

10. rik

rik Loaded Pockets

Nice idea. I've been carrying my jacket around inside, or slung under :(
    Now all I need to do is find a place that sells both shock cord and paracord, in England - I've been looking for a while...

And somewhere that sells theose strap keepers in England at all, in fact. There's no way I'm spending three times the cost of the item on shipping from America...

11. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Rik, try pointnorth.co.uk
    Ive bought fabric, plastic bits n bobs (D-rings, ladderlocks etc) AND shockcord off them. Dunno if they have paracord, but probably have climbers accessory cord.

12. rik

rik Loaded Pockets

Oh neat. Thanks, Stu.

They have shock cord, but no paracord, and nearly noone in the UK has those strap keypers, which appeal to me immensely. Would appear more if they came in black too :)

13. Quacker-Jack

Quacker-Jack Empty Pockets

I'm glad you like the idea! :highfive:
    By the way, rik, why don't you use shock cord for the upper PALS webbing as well?
    The only reason why I've chosen 'ordinary' paracord over shock cord was that there wasn't enough shock cord around in my mom's knit-case for both parts of the webbing ;)
    (it is OK, she gave it to me :))
    I'm convinced, overall-shock-cord would work even better than my Chimaira-like solution ;D

About the strap-issue:
    I'd rather use that ITW NEXUS WEB DOMINATOR W/ SHOCK CORD or something alike than ultimately shortening the straps, since it's not easily reversible.
    Or as we put it in German: 'you can't cut something to something' (deriving from 'it is easier to cut something off than to cut something on/to something'. Is there such a proverb in English? Anyway, I hope you get the idea of it as it is not really translatable :idiot2: :laugh:)

14. luigi

luigi Loaded Pockets

In my last trip the FalconII was once again a star. We had too many things and the backpack just kept chewing things without a problem.
    The long straps were useful to attach the Falcon to my carry-on bag, strapped the pack to the telescopic handle and used both in tandem as a single unit on wheels.
    Amazing how heavy and big the Falcon can be and it is still confortable to use on your back, that is a well designed pack.

Luigi

15. Ronin Six

Ronin Six Empty Pockets

16. rik

rik Loaded Pockets

I've been after paracord for a while, off and on. You reminded me again, that's all.

I know what you mean. It's easier to use 50% of a long cord than 200% of a short cord.

As soon as they release black web dominators, I'll be ordering some. In the meantime, shock cord!

17. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

I seemto recall that I got my Paracord (Blackhawk brand) from EssentialAdventureGear.com

18. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

I love my Falcon II and haven't found the compression straps to be a major annoyance. But I think the shock cord mod is great Quacker Jack! Will definitely add to mine.

Re your German proverb -- a somewhat related one in English might be "measure twice, cut once"!! ;D

19. rik

rik Loaded Pockets

Hm.

I need to figure out what to do with the cut ends of the shock-cord - they're already looking untidy. I also need better dual-line 4mm cordlocks, as I've got some sucky ones.

Any advice?

EDIT: Ignore that! I now find what I need in mere seconds.... ;D