1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maxpedition Falcon II as a Concealed Carry bag?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by tripleryder, Feb 11, 2011.

1. tripleryder

tripleryder Loaded Pockets

Hey guys-

Loving all the great info on this new forum.

Currently, I use a Monsoon as my EDC/GHB. The size is about right, although sometimes I wish the shape was a bit more square to accomadate certain items. Anyways, one of the main reasons I chose the monsoon, was the concealed handgun possibilities. With the ziper pulls to the bottom, and the velcro holster adjusted to the proper angle/tension, draw can be fairly quick, and no one has ever suspected anything to be in there. (I have never, however, tried to run a hydration bladder with my pistol at the same time).

I am looking to replace my Monsoon with a Falcon II. I love the Monsoon, but it's just not as practical as I'd hope, and doesn't bear weight extremely well (not a design fault, just not what it's designed for).

My concern is primarily drawing from the Falcon II. From the pictures, it appears there is only one zipper pull on the hydration/concealed pocket? And closed is to the top? Is it possible to quickly rotate the bag around to your front to draw?

Anyone have experience/pictures with this?

Thanks!

(and please, let's not start a discussion on carrying in a bag rather than on person. I do both, at different times, and that is not the purpose of this thread)

2. SchHrdKncks

SchHrdKncks Loaded Pockets

The hydration pocket has the zipper at the bottom when it is zipped and there is only one zipper. I have never used my falcon II to carry my handgun but I think it would be a very slow draw especially if you had both straps on your shoulders. Just my opinion.

3. Wolvee

Wolvee Loaded Pockets

It's a horrible option for CC. How long does it take to pull it off your back, Unzip, root around, drawl, aim and fire? Unless you want a back up pistol stashed someplace, I can't think of a single positive thing about CC in the pack. I do have a Falcon II.

4. Exmasonite

Exmasonite Loaded Pockets

Well....

I will agree that carrying in a falcon isn't going to allow for a particularly quick draw.

Since you don't want us to discuss on/off body carry (which, i happen to think is the most important part of this discussion), only other question i would have is this:

What gun do you carry?

I only ask b/c i'd consider changing weapons to allow more on body carry (.38 in my pocket/belt is better than the .45 in my bag)

5. tripleryder

We can start a thread elsewhere to debate on vs off body carry.

The firearm in question is a Sig p250, atm.

SchHrdKncks, thank you for that information, the zipper at the bottom is preferred in this situation. Would it be theoretically possible to remove the right strap from your shoulder, swing the pack around with the left strap, and draw? (I realize it's slow)

6. acv

acv Loaded Pockets

Yes in theroy, but I wouldn't want to bet my life on doing that in time. It's just too much stuff to do in a hurry.

7. tripleryder

I agree. The use of this pocket is more of a concealed 'transport' than concealed 'carry'
    Just needed to know if it is realistically possible.
    Thanks

8. secondechomatt

secondechomatt Loaded Pockets

I put a maxped keyper on the zipper for the cc/hydration pocket. With that done, dropping the left shoulder and pulling on the tab frees up my weapon quite quickly. With a bit of practice, its as fluid as if I was drawing from a otb holster at my back or hip.

9. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

Hi tripleryder,

I know you are getting tired of hearing this, in theory anything is possible. It is also possible to ask the bad guy to please wait while you load your gun. Even though you do not want to debate on vs. off body carry here, what you do will depend on your circumstances. For instince, I like to say that I "only on body carry", however this is only partially true. I will on occassion bag carry a storage gun like a .22 ruger single six for the kids if I am going in the woods for plinking. When I do this I always have a primary weapon outside / strong side hip (on body).

I on occassion will place my KelTec Sub-2000 9MM folding carbine in my VOODOO Tactictal Enhanced level lll bag (a Falcon ll Clone). But in reality as a 35+ year emergency services veteran, police armorer, rangemaster and NRA Instructor, bag carry is plain dangerous and unacceptable (except possibly a fanny pack). Lose the idea except, for a storage bag. and it will then be permissible. If your circumstances dictate the need for a storage bag (example: a get home bag), then one bag is as good as the next.

I would be horified if I was in an area where a bad guy suddenly appered (like the register at a pharmacy where I was waiting for a perscription), and my EDC gun was in a bag. Deep concealment does not equal readly accessable. If I lost a family member that was present at a situation like I had just given, I would be just as much as fault as the bad guy, in the loss, for not being prepaired.

Cliff

10. SchHrdKncks

SchHrdKncks Loaded Pockets

The straps are not removable (without cutting them) but the zipper is on the right hand side as you are wearing the pack. I do not edc this bag but I used it at a tactical response class to carry my gear at the range. I carried it using only one strap and it carried very well.

11. Aimless

Aimless Loaded Pockets

I've carried a pistol in the hydration compartment of a Falcon II. It pokes into your back and aside from the problems of accessibility it is just horrendously uncomfortable.

12. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

I'm both a huge Falcon II and Sig P250 fan. But I've only carried my pistol in the FII once or twice in specific circumstances. In either case, concealment was much more of an issue than easy access. Also, I wasn't using a bladder at the same time.

13. Moonberrys

Moonberrys Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't. I have a falcon II as well. If I were you i would look into a Sitka or kodiak.

14. Makahbay

Makahbay Banned

You could probably fit a small folding carbine in there. ;) Now that's CCW!

15. Speedyfish

Speedyfish Loaded Pockets

I have used my Falcon II for concealed carry on day hikes and daily carry. I like it. I can access the zippered rear pocket with my right hand and I can easily draw my G23 or Smith & Wesson M&P 340. Neither seems to bother my back...

Randall

16. mdfounta

mdfounta Loaded Pockets

I know the thread is in question for a Falcon II. I am in a similar position where I just can't always carry on me. I'm in scrubs at times and at other times can't facilitate the pistol. With that said, I have been carrying the 5.11 CVRT 18 and have been loving it. Plus, it uses the 5.11 belt system holster which works great for my Sig p229. It is set up for that style of draw of swinging to one shoulder accessing the pocket, and drawing the pistol. I scotch-guarded the fabric of mine just to enhance it's water-resistence and seems to be working great. I do agree that on body carry is the best carry option in general, but in unique circumstances, this is another good option.

17. Speedyfish

Speedyfish Loaded Pockets

I got thinking about it, so I penned a review with some pics here:

http://thinblueflorida.com/?p=839

My Falcon II is my go-to bag for concealed carry when I have a few other things to tote along.

Randall

18. tripleryder

Funny that someone resurrected my 13 month old thread, right when I start looking at Falcon II's again. Speedyfish, I have perused that review several times, and I think you have me convinced to buy one. You should get commission!
    I am going for the khaki-foliage, as it seems to be the most "Grey-man" with it's styling more Eddie Bauer than Jack Bauer ;)

19. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

Sure, I carry my Glock 22 in my Falcon 2, in the hydration pocket using a 5.11 back-up system holster velcro'd inside the pocket. BUT that being said, I should point out that at the same time I'm carrying my Kel tec P-11 in an IWB holster on my strong side. I have practiced drawing my Glock from the hydration pouch by just reaching behind and I can do it, but I can get to my P-11 faster. So why carry both? The why is simple. I really like my Glock 22 and don't like leaving it in my apt when I'm not home for some punk to break in and steal. And of course I do have a CCW permit. Also, I only do this when I'm going to my parents or a friends house. never anywhere where I might have to ground my bag and be more than half a foot from it.
    I really like my Falcon 2, The main reason being that middle compartment that you either like or hate. I use it when I'm going shooting or camping for carrying my Sub 2000 9mm. Folded, the Sub2k fits nicely in there and I still have plenty of room in the other compartments for all my other gear. When I'm not using that middle compartment, I just cinch up the compression straps and ignore it.

20. Kontractor

Kontractor Loaded Pockets

CC? No! The MOAB 10 on the other hand, good choice for CC, IMO. The Falcon II is a great bag for light daypack or edc use.... past that, it doesn't have many uses, but it's still my favorite bag.