1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maxpedition Falcon II and Condor II comparison

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by ottsego, Jan 22, 2010.

1. ottsego

ottsego Loaded Pockets

Hello there !

Recently thanks to my colleague (Thanks to Bartek!) I Had the opportunity, to compare the title backpacks and exchange some experience with my colleague about them.
    This comparison took the form of photographs with descriptive brief conclusions.
    Bartek uses his Condor II for shopping, work and travel since September 2008 while I have my Falcon II in the foliage green for about three weeks, but I uses it literally every day (shopping, school, long walks with the dog) and have already gained some experiences about it.

It makes most sense to begin the comparison with technical specifications and dimensions.

Both backpacks are made from 1000D balistic nylon ( dupont teflon coated ) , YKK zips are used, and buckles ITW nexus

FALCON II
    main compartment: Height 18 "(45 cm) x width 9.5" (23.75 cm) x Depth 4.75 "(11.75 cm)
    second chamber: Height 16 "(40 cm) x Width 8" (20 cm) x Depth 3 "(7.6 cm)
    Front upper pocket: Height 4 "(10 cm) x width 7" (17.5 cm) x Depth 2.5 "(6.40 cm)
    Front lower pocket: Height 10 "(25 cm) x width 7" (17.5 cm) x Depth 2.5 "(6.40 cm)
    Capacity: 1520 cu. al. / 25 liters

CONDOR II
    main compartment: Height 17.5 "(43.75 cm) x Width 14" (35 cm) x Depth 6.5 "(16.25 cm)
    Front upper pocket: Height 5.5 "(13.75 cm) x width 9" (22.5 cm) x Depth 2 "(5 cm)
    Front lower pocket: Height 8 "(20 cm) x width 9" (17.5 cm) x Depth 2.5 "(6.40 cm)
    Capacity: 1950 cu. al. / 32 liters

Both backpacks have a compartment for water bladder.

At the beginning we have picture comparing those two with maxpedition EDC pocket organizer in OD green color.
    you can see exactly the Condor II is much wider than the Falcon, the general design solutions in both backpacks are the same, both have four compression straps with buckles on the sides and one at the top. distribution of the front pocket is identical, they differ only in size.

[​IMG]

Picture from the side, you can see that Condor is generally deeper, and you can see compression straps and molle attachments .

[​IMG]

those two photos are about comparing the size of the front pockets and the EDC pocket organizer , the lower pocket of the Falcon II is definitely longer but narrower than Condor II

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both backpacks have no improving breathable mesh in the back, but both are so soft that even with high load they wear very comfortably.

[​IMG]

And a picture from the side, you ca see a compression straps and molle.

[​IMG]

this Photo is showing the backpacks from above you can see exactly that Falcon has one more compartment.other solutions, compression straps and buckles on both are the same.

[​IMG]

and here we have a difference which I need mention. The backpacks used different stuffing braces, Falcon is using the breathable mesh, while Condor has nylon fabric. These solutions have their advantages and disadvantages, mesh certainly enhances breathability, while the nylon fabric is more resistant to borrowing, and pilling.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here you can see the interior finish in the main compartment of Falcon, in front the pocket has been added made of strong netting, of course all perfect as the Maxpedition! :)

[​IMG]

While the rear part of the main compartment was equipped with an additional pocket with zippered mesh.(picture below shows that in Condor solution with the departure of the tube and a pocket is identical).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This photo shows main compartment of Condor II:) It is wider and deeper than in the compartment of Falcon, front pocket is made of thinner Nylon (in the Falcon it is made of mesh).

[​IMG]

The essential difference between the two backpacks is that the main compartment at Falcon can be draw aside until the very end and wide-open (like panel loader) it would certainly help packing your backpack, However, in Condor main chamber can be opened to roughly 2 / 3 of the backpack.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here you can see the interior of the Falcon largest pocket, a fundamental difference is the size of the pocket, and on the Falcon has one less compartment. In both backpacks there is sewn a keyper . The finish of detail's on both backpacks are on the highest level!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the last picture showing once again the two backpacks front :)

[​IMG]

In conclusion, those two backpacks are made at the highest level, materials and accessories and execution of both backpack itself assures us that this is a hardware for years of heavy use. Both projects are very thoughtful and is characterized by a number of common characteristics. By contrast, what the difference is due to the Condor main compartment is wider and deeper and it seems to be more roomy, Falcon, on the other hand is slender and has an additional chamber which ideally includes A4 documents.
    It should also be mentioned in the main chamber of the Falcon and Condor can hold 15,4' inch laptop and there is still a little space.
    Bartek and I are of the opinion that the maxpedition gear despite the high price is worth every $ you spend. For the money that we spend what we get is the top quality product made at the highest level that never lets you down and serve you for years!

I thik that's all I have to say :) , I hope that this comparison is useful to someone and meet with the approval of the forum:)
    ps. sorry for my poor English ;p

2. Gödel_Fan

Gödel_Fan Loaded Pockets

Hey I can promise you that your English is better than a good many of the people here in Texas who speak nothing but English. :laugh:

That said, Fantastic Work! :highfive: This would have saved me a lot of work and research time had it been around a while back.

I think the whole Condor/Falcon thing ultimately comes down to mostly personal preference of short and wide toploader vs. long and thin clamshell. The Condor 2 can also hold more kinds of items with the main compartment being larger, but I admit that the Falcon is unique in the market in that it compresses down so much (some other bags compress down a lot too but they're much more expensive from what I've seen).

3. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

I just say O0 on your review - the pictures are wonderful! :ty:

4. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

That's a great review. I always liked the Condor II but hated how short it was. I have a long torso and it never fit me well. The Falcon is much better. I could never get used to all the pockets. Too many to wade through for me.

5. patches152

patches152 Loaded Pockets

excellent pictures.

question for you: on the falcon i noticed at the top there is some webbing on the left and right. are those for attaching D rings, or are they just the webbing from the shoulder straps as they are sewn into the bag?

i want to be able to hang a PALS panel on the inside of my bag so i can attach pockets inside for organization. any maxped bags have that?

6. ironmike86

ironmike86 Loaded Pockets

O0 Good review with pics. I'm sure it's going to help alot of ppl who are looking :woohoo:

7. ottsego

ottsego Loaded Pockets

if I understood, you are asking about those straps which we can see above the mesh pocket here ?
    [img width=480 height=640]http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/3372/p1220463.jpg[/img]
    these are exactly the webbing from the shoulder straps sewn in to the backpack :( there are no PALS atachments inside the backpack :(
    And i think, sadly there is no maxped product that has those inside :(

8. Torpedo Vegas
    • +1 Supporter

Torpedo Vegas Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the great review! I am currently considering the Condor II as a school type bag, and was wondering if you had any thoughts on it. I need it to hold a few 1inch binders or possible a trapper. How many 1 inch binders do you think it will hold? Do you think it will work for me?

9. jegrundh

jegrundh Loaded Pockets

Great review and pictures! I am currently considering both bags as well.... there are several positives and negatives to both bags as far as i have seen. First off i don't really like how the webbing on the falcon doesn't come all the way down the sides, while a relatively easy mod to do, it's kind of a pain how maxpedition doesn't do this.... Also the Condor being slightly wider allows for slightly wider pouch organization. The ONLY potential problem i see with both bags is the fact that there are no built in ways to carry water. However a mini-rolly polly easily solves that solution. I do like how the falcon II compresses down however, and i will have to definetly take that into consideration.... maybe i'll just have to purchase both :shrug: Getting bit by the bag bug is not a good thing for the wallet :p

10. ottsego

ottsego Loaded Pockets

I have no idea how many 1 inch binder the Condor II will hold becouse this bag is not mine :) i have the falcon II ,and if you want I can stuff some gear in to it and make some photos ( just say what would you like to see in it [ binders ,some clothes etc. ?? ] )
    I'm using my Falcon II literaly every day and I simply love it !

11. jegrundh

jegrundh Loaded Pockets

Definitely thinking that if i buy a Falcon II would be my airport travel bag...

Also, i already use two bags for school. I am in college, and have a lot of books for classes, and have a schedule where i only have time to quickly stop in my dorm, so i keep both bags packed with what i need for those classes and just switch bags. It works REALLY well :) Currently they are northface bags, but 2 maxpedition bags would be wonderful :)

12. Relayer

Relayer Loaded Pockets

Great review, one of the best I've seen.

It looks like the Falcon II is the bag I've been looking.

Thanks for all the work it took to bring this to us.

O0

13. patches152

patches152 Loaded Pockets

yeah, those. are they just tag end or are they doubled over? could i use that to connect a D ring so i could hang a panel with webbing?

it doesn't have to be permanent, i'd like to be able to remove the whole panel actually. i know the TAD bags have D rings on the inside to hang the panels, i'd like something like that. i'll search around or start another thread. don't wanna hijack.

14. TNRat

TNRat Loaded Pockets

I carry a 1 inch binder in my Condor II along with my full size laptop.

Thanks for the great review.

15. NInjaSMS

NInjaSMS Empty Pockets

O0

Excellent job!

Outstanding review. Thank you very much. Yes, the images are perfect and cover just about every angle you'd want. The snow back drop helps tremendously. Thanks again.

16. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

:iagree: Some great write-up and photos! :thumbsup:

17. willydigger

willydigger Loaded Pockets

For whatever reason the img codes don't display the pics for me. I'm in the market for a Condor or Falcon. You're info is great.

18. ottsego

ottsego Loaded Pockets

Hey !
    When I was posting this review in the past those codes was working just fine, but now I see that they don't But your post have modified tag's and everything is again working fine :) I'll have to modify the original post, thanks !

19. Sloman

Sloman Loaded Pockets

Excellent review and super pics!
    I want a falcon II so badly. Got a Kodiak and just not for me. Anyone want to buy it??

20. ltbarber

ltbarber Loaded Pockets

Excellent photography,and location shoot!! Thank you so much!