1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maxpedition Colossus vs Kifaru Koala

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by shrnky, Dec 7, 2010.

1. shrnky

shrnky Loaded Pockets

Can't decide between these two bags.
    Both are roughly the same size and both companies have excellent build quality from what I've been reading.
    I'd be using it as a shoulder bag around town and on trips walking 10+ hours a day.
    I'd be interested in any input and especially from anyone who's had experience with both.

2. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Kifaru. Quality is 100x Maxped.

3. shrnky

shrnky Loaded Pockets

How about comfort. Is Kifaru that much more comfortable?

4. Aonghus

Aonghus Loaded Pockets

The Koala (ohhh how I lust for one) does things that the Colossus cannot without heavy modification. Of course, those extra thing the koala will do, come at a premium and will cost you. What is your intended purpose for the bag? If you just need a vehicle bag to carry stuff back and forth from your car to your home and office, the Colossus will work perfectly without paying a lot more. If you want the option of attaching it to a pack or harness + a vehicle bag, then go with the Koala.

5. praharin

praharin Loaded Pockets

I agree, the Kifaru will outlast the Maxpedition given equal conditions. However, the Colossus is designed to be a shoulder bag. The Koala is a concealed carry chest rig by design; that is adaptable to other uses. As an EDC bag, I would go with the Colossus over the Koala. Actually, I'd skip both, personally. But that's not the question. You are also looking at like half the price for the Colossus (maybe, depending on options), which means you can put cool stuff in it :D

6. el chupacabra

el chupacabra Loaded Pockets

^^^ +1

7. Tradecraft

Tradecraft Banned

Difficult question to answer because you don't give much detail as to your stated needs.

For a CCW platform I would go with Kifaru.

For an EDC bag I would go with Maxpedition.

While Kifaru may be better quality than Maxpedition I believe both will exceed your expectations for durability. For 10+ hour days the Kifaru will probably be more comfortable.

It comes down to: Which product will hold all of your gear and contents the most comfortable?

8. Geek_Bag_AZ

Geek_Bag_AZ Empty Pockets

Your looking for a over the shoulder bag. something you can were around town and for trips. I agree with everyone about the Kifaru Koala. BUT...... hes looking for a over the shoulder bag for around town and hikes.

Couple of things about the Kifaru Koala. I have never seen someone carry that bag over the shoulder. If you do carry over the shoulder, it will be like a small thick messenger bag. Ive seen more people carry they Kifaru Koala around the neck area for fast access in front of their body. If your carrying a lot of gear, I would think your neck would start to hurt after 10hrs. The Kifaru Koala does have a few pockets for gear and has great access to a CW + ammo... Molly webbing appears to be all over the bag. People might judge you or look at you funny when walking around town. Just Sayin'

The Maxpedition Colossus would be a better fit for around town use in my opinion. The colossus does have 2 compartments for your CW + Ammo... but not as open as the Kifaru Koala. However the Colossus does have better room and organization for gear. The colossus is Ambidextrous and will allow you to switch shoulders when tired. You can even add a 50 oz. hydration pack to the rear pouch for those long trips. Molly webbing on both sides of the Colossus allows for changeable gear.

Ive seen both bags in person and both bags are great. But in my opinion, the Koala is more of a range bag. I would go with the Colossus. As a matter of fact I did... LOL

Check out my crappy youtube videos.. I did a review on the colossus bag and it came out pretty good. :)

9. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Since you mentioned walking ten hours a day or more, I would skip over both of these choices and get a good-quality backpack. Your shoulders, neck, back, and feet will thank you.

Kifaru, TAD Gear, Eagle Industries, Tactical Tailor, Mystery Ranch -- all of these companies offer backpacks and are made in the USA.

10. medic2807

medic2807 Loaded Pockets

I have to say I totally agree. I used to own a colossus and got rid of it because it was hard to get into (zipper top vs. SRB). The concealed pocket in the very back was sub-optimal because it sort of left my Springfield XD subcompact .40 in plain sight if a person would look closely (and not that closely). For concealed carry, the Koala looks pretty sweet, and really, not that much more expensive. Then again, I don't carry concealed in a bag. I use a Blackhawk! outside the waistband or a Desantis Nemesis for my piece.