1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Maxpedition Colossus or Hazard 4 Kato

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Jonb74, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

After much reading here and elsewhere I am stuck between a Maxpedition Colossus or the Hazard4 Kato. Seem to be similar size and both are bigger than the Fatboy i have now which doesn't hold enough (works good for a day of geocaching though).

So, which way to go? the Colossus is actually in stock whereas the Kato seems to be sold out everywhere. Price is very similar. Any reason I should go one way or the other?

2. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

Go with the Kato. They don't have a sticky about them at the top of this forum.

3. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

eh... i don't care about the sticky or things that happened here 3 years ago. They still make nice bags that will probably suit my needs.

Kato is nice though. But I keep coming back to the khaki/foliage combo on the Maxp stuff.

gearheavy, spanky77 and atilano like this.
  4. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

That is sad, a lot of people don't care about how John was treated, by all means go with Max.
    They do make nice gear. I like some of the color combinations they offer, but I don't own any of their gear at this time.

5. dodge_911

dodge_911 Loaded Pockets

Definitely not the Colossus... It'll fit, but only barely... Go for the Kato, it was designed with the iPad in mind...

Mecha04 likes this.
  6. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

I couldn't find where you specified you needed to fit an iPad. I bought a Colossus to use primarily as a camera bag, with EDC capabilities. I like the fact that it opens toward you, so you can see inside (I also have a Fatboy and have had a Jumbo, which I sold). I have a 2" strap with SRBs that I purchased from Maxpedition. It fits around the Colossus and makes a cool carry handle. I can also take it off and clip my Janus into it as a minimalist waist pack. The Janus is part of my Level 1 EDC, and I love its versatility. I can use it as a stand-alone pouch, or clip it to my Colossus, Fatboy, or Proteus. I'm trying to find a way to change the waist belt on my Falcon II to 2" so I can clip in the Janus to that as well. As you can see, I'm a huge Maxpedition fan.

7. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

It doesn't need to fit an iPad. I just need something bigger than what I have when the need to lug around a bag pops up. No hurry on my part so I'll start watching for deals on a khaki-foliage version. I'll check out the janus while I am at it. Sounds quite versatile.

8. Locomoco

Locomoco Loaded Pockets

I'll put out the disclaimer right away I'm no fan of maxpedition while the H4 Kato love is still going strong for me, so I'll vouch for the Kato. Especially from a electronics-lugging EDC point of view. Get it with the H4 bottle holder and you're GTG. I go everywhere with my iPad and laptop in the Kato.

9. switchblade906

switchblade906 Loaded Pockets

10. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

Old thread here guys. I ended up with the Kato, used it once and don't really like it - figured out I dont like bags with a flap on the front. . Plus i got a different laptop for work and it doesnr fit. One of these days I'll put it on the BST forum, or the auction site. Right now it lives in my closet taking up space.

11. switchblade906

switchblade906 Loaded Pockets

So what do you have now?

12. knurek

knurek Loaded Pockets

I'm looking at possibly purchasing a Kato to replace a Maxped Jumbo. Any thoughts on selling yours? Thanks a ton.

13. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

I sold it awhile back. I believe the kato will be smaller than your jumbo. The kato looks nice, but I found it not very useful for me. It was too small when I did want to carry a bag (with small laptop), hard to access the contents without taking it off (the flap is a giant pain) and has very little internal space in the main pocket. Others really like the bag though so just a matter of preference.

If I were to do it over again, I'd skip the Kato completely and go for a Colossus or Vanquest Trident.

14. knurek

knurek Loaded Pockets

That makes sense - I'm finding the same problems with my Jumbo and had hoped to avoid those with the Kato. I had a Colossus about a year ago and sold it to fund the Jumbo. I'm thinking I made that decision a little to rashly.:rolleyes: Thanks for the quick reply.

15. Coolidge

Coolidge Loaded Pockets

[​IMG] Here is the replacement colossus I ordered, the first one had the same issue out of the box. It seemed like it wasn't double stitched or stitched improperly. I really wanted one for travel but the production issues left me discouraged. I own a few other maxpedition products and they all are build fairly well. I am in no means putting down this product. As a result I ended up ordering a Hazard 4 Kato. [​IMG] so far I am very pleased with the build quality and overall aesthetics of this bag. My maxpedition triad admin pouch fits perfectly as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

16. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

No longer relevant.

Last edited by gearheavy, Jun 20, 2014
  17. Coolidge

Coolidge Loaded Pockets

Explain?

18. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

Deleted my post cuz my info was no longer relevant. Sorry for confusion.

19. Coolidge

Coolidge Loaded Pockets

Cool np.